REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 02-07-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Advice on Buying an OBD II Reader

As title states, I'm looking to purchase an OBD II reader. New, so please don't flogg yours here.

I want one that is good bang for the money.

I have a stupid 2002 Mazda MPV (wife's car), so it needs to read codes from that. I have a Scangauge (stupid POS) that reads OBD II codes from just about any car, but it does not read codes off the Mazda. I borrowed an old school reader from a friend, but I'm not into borrowing stuff from others.

Anyway, I would like one that is capable of live stream data. I'm guessing they're out of my price range, which is around 200 bucks.

I see Lordco and CT selling the Innova/Equus brand. Are they any good?
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

napa sells one by a company called OTC, it seems to work pretty well. we have that one at the shop i work at as a back up in case our snap-on one fails. my boss said he got it on sale and it was "cheap" so that's what i'm going by. and once you get your scanner, if the code is P0171 (i think?) "system too lean" or something then it's usually the PCV hose at the back of the manifold that is leaking! it's very common on those cars. good luck!
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

OTC makes a lot of specialty tools for many manufacturers... good company... the INNOVA stuff works, but doesn't give live data until you get to the $200+ models...

at that point, you're better off buying a used pro unit...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM   #4
MG1

I came across an awesome deal on a brand new Innova 3120. Below cost. It doesn't have live streaming data, but it does everything else.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
First you should figure out why a common scanner doesn't work on your MPV.

Handheld OBD2 scanner are a dim a dozen, you can get live stream data for under $200 on handheld ones easily.. however truly capable scanners are always hooked to a laptop. All handheld uses the same chips these days.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.713
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
First you should figure out why a common scanner doesn't work on your MPV.

Handheld OBD2 scanner are a dim a dozen, you can get live stream data for under $200 on handheld ones easily.. however truly capable scanners are always hooked to a laptop. All handheld uses the same chips these days.

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.713
The scanner I used was a Scangauge II. Primarily designed to display info as you drive. Also has capability to pull codes and clear them.

Anyway, I found a reader that more than suits my need. I got it for under 125 bucks, brand new, with warranty, no taxes or shipping. Came with software so you can download/upload data to PC. Has adapters for CAN OBDII and I.

Live streaming would have been nice, but...............

Thanks for chiming in. Always helpul for others to find out about this sort of stuff.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
The scanner I used was a Scangauge II. Primarily designed to display info as you drive. Also has capability to pull codes and clear them.

Anyway, I found a reader that more than suits my need. I got it for under 125 bucks, brand new, with warranty, no taxes or shipping. Came with software so you can download/upload data to PC. Has adapters for CAN OBDII and I.

Live streaming would have been nice, but...............

Thanks for chiming in. Always helpul for others to find out about this sort of stuff.
hi there, sorry to bring back an old post but where did you get your OBDII cable? there are so many in eBay but i'm hesitant and i want to deal locally.
pk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If you just need one, you can contact AMP and ask for a sample.. just remember the plastic connector and pins are 2 separate items.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote