REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Having to display Temporary Permit on a motorcycle (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605386-having-display-temporary-permit-motorcycle.html)

xpl0sive 02-08-2010 12:24 PM

Having to display Temporary Permit on a motorcycle

I was told by a number of autoplan agents that I dont have to display the permit on my bike and can keep it in my pocket, so that i can show it if pulled over... I've also heard of people getting tickets for not having the permit displayed. Now i understand that it would be a lot easier to just display the permit and avoid the hassle of getting pulled over and checked for insurance, but out of curiosity, does it actually have to be displayed on a motorcycle?
I rode around all day on saturday, passed a few cops and didnt get pulled over. Had the permit in my pocket the whole time

CRS 02-08-2010 02:32 PM

Why is it always the condemners that pull complete 180s when they need help? These guys blame cops for doing bad jobs and say they power trip and are all useless but when they need help, who do they go to first? Yeah, that's right. The very same people they were condemning.

xpl0sive 02-08-2010 02:37 PM

umm I'm asking a question to find out if something I'm doing will get me pulled over... I am still entitled to my opinion about the cops that have no idea what they are doing and are only in it for the badge and the gun...

Dragon-88 02-08-2010 03:36 PM

Why dont you just make a photo copy and put that on your ride and if you get pulled then you have the original in your pocket.. Also if someone were to steal your copy off the bike atleast you still have the original.. WIN WIN..

CRS 02-08-2010 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpl0sive (Post 6808284)
umm I'm asking a question to find out if something I'm doing will get me pulled over... I am still entitled to my opinion about the cops that have no idea what they are doing and are only in it for the badge and the gun...

Ah, so there is a difference in moral standards.

If you have a question, a cop must answer it otherwise they are unfit for duty and "have no idea what they are doing".

But if the cop is to ask you a question (to just do his job), they are power tripping and "only in it for the badge and the gun".

I see how it is. A one way street where you can have both your cake and eat it too. I guess these good for nothing cops will be nice enough to answer the question for you but if they don't, I guess they are just confirming your "opinion" that they are useless and have no idea what they are doing.

sho_bc 02-08-2010 10:41 PM

Unfortunately, that is the way many people think these days.

However, to answer the original poster's question:

Yes, you must display it. You must display the original. Fail to do either may result in a) Fail to display licence plate, or b) Improper display of plate, respectively.

skidmark 02-09-2010 05:42 PM

Stick it in a Ziploc bag and tape it in place over the old plate, or if you don't have an old plate, but something similar there first.

If you don't have to display it, it will say so on the permit. If you can't find something that exempts you from display, I don't think I would rely on the clerk's advice. They mean well, but they sometimes don't know the rules. In this case, they are found in Division 14 MVAR

CA_FTW 02-15-2010 01:22 PM

You are supposed to display it.. its a temp permit just tape it to the back of your helmet.. or jacket.. then your good..

I do the pocket thing as well.. have been pulled over a couple times.. the cops always understand..

Its up to you..

zulutango 02-15-2010 01:46 PM

Xplosive, why not do us all a favour and read out what it says on the permit. If you do that then all this conjecture is gone and you really know what you have to do. Enquiring minds want to know.

CA_FTW 02-15-2010 02:19 PM

It has to be displayed.. its the same as the temp permit that you get for your car..

i suspect the the ICBC brokers are giving out there own opinions on the matter.

xpl0sive 02-18-2010 10:18 AM

I was told by an icbc broker that at the "autoplan School" they are taught that poeple dont have to display it on a motorcycle... thats why i posted the question. I did read the permit, and it says that it must be displayed, and i get that... anyways, doesnt matter now, i got a plate and put it on the back of my bike :)

zulutango 02-18-2010 11:29 AM

Thank you for the difinitive answer. If the conditions printed on the TOP say to display it, then you must. One doesn't always get correct technical info from counter staff at Autoplan stores. Things like...you don't need a front plate, or you can just put your plate on the dash...got told that too many times to be a coincidence. Not to pick on the staff, and I have several who are friends, but they are hired to issue paperwork, not to be traffic consultants. Should be a no-brainer for them to read the paperwork they are issuing.