REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 02-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Help! Need Auto Mechanic Creepers for V-Day!

Hi everyone. This is the first time I'm posting on Revscene. I'm not quite sure where I should post this so if this is incorrect, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I would like to get my boyfriend an auto mechanic creeper (I think that's what it's called). He works on his car pretty often and he's always said that it would be AWESOME to use a creeper instead of his ratty cardboards that he probably jacked from Costco.

I was hoping to get some advice as to which brands are decent in the auto industry and perhaps which ones are slightly more on the luxury side (not just anything that you can get from Canadian Tire). He did mention that they weren't cheap so I guess I'm hoping to spend less than $200 on this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
V-DayGiftForBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
RS controls my life!

Nothing wrong with the canadiantire creepers. Same line of quality as ones from KMS or Lordco. The creepers that can fold up and become a chair with wheels is a nice option.
A good one shouldn't be more than $75
If you buy one off the Snap On truck, you could easily spend over $200. You'd have to be nuts to do that though
Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #3

Thanks Puck Luck! You're giving store names so at least I know where to begin looking for them.

So after looking at some creepers from KMS, Mac, and NAPA, I've got a few things to ask:

1) With an S2000, would he need a lower profile creeper? Would it be more comfortable? After raising it up with jacks, would it be more convenient with a lower one?

2) Anyone know if an adjustable head is a good option to have? Does it relieve stress from the neck or would it get in the way sometimes?

3) Which "look" do you guys find more appealing in a creeper?

I'm slightly worried that he might break this since it's all one big piece of plastic. But it is a lower profile. However, padding = more comfortable right...?

Next:
http://www.mactools.com/Product/tabi...4/Default.aspx Sorry I couldn't manage to successfully insert the image for some reason.

Downside to this one is that there isn't an adjustable headrest.

Perhaps the sexiest one of them all:

But quite pricy of course. Don't know if this one is such a good idea because it's not like he'll use it every week and it shouldn't be something that he's worried about getting dirty. Being under a car tends to get one dirty.

Lastly:

Description:
• 40” metal frame creeper with adjustable headrest.
• Patented oval tube frame for ultimate body comfort.
• Longitudinal steel rails to give the body superior support.
• Four 2-1/2” patented black inline swivel casters.
• Donut shaped casters allow easier maneuverability.
• Head adjustment allows for multiple positions.
This seems to be an overall strong candidate.

Please post your opinions! Thanks
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
My prefereence is the Blue-Point style but with 6 castors mounted on the outside of the frame to allow the body to sit lower.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

You ask some very good questions and what a great girlfriend that knows how to search around for tools!

I'd suggest getting the lowest profile available. If he doesn't have a high-lift jack he'd be uncomfortable working under the car as space will be greatly reduced. That is precisely the reason why I ended up selling my creeper. I still continue to use carboard for that reason. Using cardboard also has the advantage of stability; there's no moving wheels that can move under you when you're applying a lot torque on a fastener.

I don't know if there's such a creeper, but if there was a low profile with a castor-locking mechanism, I'd be happy to try that out.
autobacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
Editor

Thanked 3,179 Times in 874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autobacs View Post
Using cardboard also has the advantage of stability; there's no moving wheels that can move under you when you're applying a lot torque on a fastener.
haha I hear ya!

I have a low profile one, those one piece plastic types. They work fine on a normal height car on jackstands. Fairly comfortable, for plastic.
I guess it really depends on how high his jackstands can go, then you'll have to worry about low-pro or adjustable headrest.

Also nice feature is little pockets or indents, whatever you call it, on the sides so you can put little bolts, washers etc.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
RS controls my life!

Here's a couple low profile ones:

If this had an adjustable head rest, it'be a good option. Check your local Princess Auto store; they might have something similar.

Here's the Bone creeper with big diameter castors that'll ride over pebbles, cords, etc. It sucks to have small castors that loses its mobility because of a stupid little pebble, cord, washer, etc.
autobacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #8

Thanks for your inputs!

I'm curious though, how come nobody seems interested in the racing creeper?

I'd really like to get him this one.

After asking around a bit, from what I can tell, Blue-Point is to Snap-on as Honda is to Acura, a secondary line-up. And Mac is also a brand from Snap-On? Soooo....why not go with snap-on?! He's not a brand whore of any kind but I do think it looks really cool (plus I guess it's just cool to give something like that).

Gifts are allowed to be of extravagance, right?
Old 02-11-2010, 05:05 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

That racing creeper sucks. It tends to topple over when you lean too much to one side due to the design. The basic mac and snapon ones with 6 casters are very sturdy and is what I use at work. Only issue is that they don't have a retail store. The only way to get them is to contact the dealer for your area. I don't know who runs the richmond area but I deal with the north shore supplier. May be a little late for vday though as they usually don't stock large items on the truck.

Last edited by blacK20; 02-11-2010 at 09:58 PM.
blacK20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:52 PM   #10
retired

Mac is a different company from Snap-on, like Toyota and Honda.

Honestly, the one that looks like a racing seat is way too overpriced. Last I checked on the Snap-On truck, it was around 200-250. Not worth it for a creeper imo.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

yeah the snap-on one is pricey for a creeper. but if you want to get it, i can pm you the number for the snap-on guy i deal with (in richmond).
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #12

I managed to get in contact with a snap on guy! Luckily I work in administration at a dealership and one of the mechanics passed on his contact info! He's got this one on his truck:

Description:
40” long creeper is constructed of 16 ga. steel and has a unique drop in the shoulder area to provide for generous shoulder clearance; low ¾” ground clearance. Fully padded with heavy duty foam for durability; pad measures 1 3/4” thick, headrest pad measures 2 3/4” thick; covered with heavy duty vinyl. Pad is 11” wide x 39” long. Four 2 1/2” oil resistant, full ball bearing casters. Weight is 18 lbs. Overall dimensions: 40”L x 17”W x 4”D.

I can't find this one with 6 casters tho! But the upside is he can probably drop it off next week. Also, he said the racing creeper was out of stock (probably all for the better).

Alright, you've convinced me. No racing creeper. I've asked you guys for advice, and I shall listen to it! I want something that looks good but more importantly, functions as it should, and I thank you guys for keeping me on track. Tomorrow I'll give the guy another call and see if he's got this one:

Description:
40” long steel frame creeper has low ¾” ground clearance; unique drop in frame allows for ultimate shoulder clearance. Fully padded with high density 80 lb. foam; bed pad measures 1 ¾” thick, headrest pad measures 2 ¾” thick; covered with heavy duty vinyl. Pad is 11” wide x 39” long. Six 2 ½” oil resistant, full ball bearing casters. Steel frame is 16 ga., ¾” square tube stock. Overall dimensions: 40” L x 17” W x 4” D. Weight: 16 lbs. Black cover.

If he doesn't have this one in stock either at the warehouse (I believe he said Calgary warehouse), would it be horrible if I got him the Blue-Point one? I'd prefer to get him 6 casters instead of 4 tho .

Oh, also, I remember he HAS used a creeper working on a friend's car in his garage, it was a borrowed creeper. Good to know he'll be actually be able to use it with his car too
Old 02-12-2010, 04:01 AM   #13
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,572 Times in 4,314 Posts
That's exactly the one I was talking about!!!!

If you end up getting it, you'll probably get something 10 times better than you think in return.

Big props to you for being so insightful and making the effort to register here for good advice.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmak View Post
yeah the snap-on one is pricey for a creeper. but if you want to get it, i can pm you the number for the snap-on guy i deal with (in richmond).
Yes please! ! !
Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM   #15
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,169 Times in 249 Posts
if you want want to save a lot of money i would go to princess auto

you can get a creeper, 2 jack stands, one jack, 2 stoppers for under 200 as a combo pack, or that low profile creeper for 50 bucks

i also got my low profile jack from them(for lowered vehicles)
bigzz786786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #16

That does seem like a really good deal bigzz, but he's already got a jack with jack stands like that. If he was buying a creeper for himself, I'm sure he'd go with a bargain deal like the one from Princess Auto. But gifts are usually things that you really want but wouldn't spend the money on for yourself. I'd like to stick with the black snap on one.Thanks a lot tho!!! That IS an awesome deal!

Alrighty! I'm calling it in! Black Snap-On Standard Creeper it is! ! ! It shall arrive Feb 22 (unfortunate wait) but at least it's a better one!

Thanks again for everyone's inputs! I really appreciate it and I hope he ends up liking it. I'll let you know later what he thinks of it once he gets it.