REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #26
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
There is no point in cutting when you have no muscle to begin with. Focusing on building muscle will also help you lose fat
I agree, but there are a number of ppl who dont care about muscle, they just care about getting cut.

If he focuses on just building muscle, he could get very bulky, not sure if thats his objective.
Advertisement
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

I would hate to be the OP right now..
There is so much different advice being given out right now he must be so confused.
My guess is he wants to cut up but he hasnt really given a straight answer on his goals. Really no advice should have been given out till we actually knew what he wants to get out of this.

Just my 3 cents
Old 02-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
I agree, but there are a number of ppl who dont care about muscle, they just care about getting cut.

If he focuses on just building muscle, he could get very bulky, not sure if thats his objective.
Yah you gotta watch out for that. One day he will just wake up and look like a bodybuilder. Focusing on building muscle and building strength boosts metabolism for much longer then cardio. The results he gets out of this will come down to how he eats. If he is eating to put on muscle he will put on muscle. If he eats under maintenance he will maybe put on a tiny bit of muscle but for the most part he will just lose fat..
Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #29
xxx

If you are around 20% bf or higher IMO you should lose the fat first until you can see your abs before 'bulking'.
that way you look good the entire time

if you are fat and focus on bulking, ie. eating a lot...you will turn into a fat ass. I mean even if you keep track of calories and your macros perfectly, you will still gain a lil fat. Now since you probably won't keep track of calories you'll most likely gain even more fat...

so yeah figure out your bf% and decide what to do.
Oleophobic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:57 PM   #30
Banned By Establishment

read some magazines and note the common basic exercises that all the bodybuilders use. They are the basic movements like Flat bench press, incline dumbell presses, squats, shoulder presses and chin ups are some examples.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtC-604 View Post
lol...dunno what world your from but 170lbs at 5'7 isnt normal at all. I'm telling him the easiest way to lose that weight. Protein shakes will help u build muscle,so you wont be losing much weight. I dunno about you, but if your 5'7 and your fucking thighs look like elephant legs and your arms look like a tree trunk, im sure thats not a turn on for most girls. From what i hear and is proven to work, the best form of encouragement is being harsh, cynical and cruel.
ur a fucking idiot
5'7 170 isnt even that overweight. you have no idea what kind of body he has off just the weight alone. im 5'8-5'9 185 with relatively low BMI. I have buddies around the same weight and height as me who are pretty shredded. so you can go jump off a bridge
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #32
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

5'7 170 pounds.

5'7 170 pounds

5'6 170 pounds

5'6 175 pounds
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #33
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
read some magazines and note the common basic exercises that all the bodybuilders use. They are the basic movements like Flat bench press, incline dumbell presses, squats, shoulder presses and chin ups are some examples.
if doing freeweights, start off light and make you get the form right. If you dont you're not going to make much progress, just injure yourself.
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #34
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Google "Rippetoe Starting Strength"
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

thats nothing! I am 5'5 or 5'6 with 200 lbs? 220?? 230? Hahaha... its fine,
Old 02-26-2010, 08:31 PM   #36
RS controls my life!

Do P90X but make sure you BRING IT!
red_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #37
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_2 View Post
Do P90X but make sure you BRING IT!
the guy in the video will remind him several times
Old 03-02-2010, 10:34 AM   #38
I bringith the lowerballerith

Oh this is the original video.

Pretty good workout video IMO.

brown parents, "FIVE COWS?! HAVE YOU GONE COO KOO? five cows... noo to much... two cows."

Go WINGS GO 1997,1998,2002 & 2008

#2 #5 #13 #14 #16 #19 #30 #40 #91
Philly74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM   #39
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm trying to incorporate deadlifts into my routine. They are tough, and you need the right form.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #40

deadlifts are awesome. a close 2nd to squats. just make sure you have a neutral spine. don't have a rounded back or an extremely arched back.

easy way for me is to have over-under grip with chalk or lynx grips.
breath in deep with your diaphragm right before you lift. protects your spine somewhat.
think of deadlifts as pushing away the ground beneath you. don't think of it as pulling it up with your arms. basically start the movement with your legs, not your arms. it'll help you move more weight.

the tips above helped me break some PRs.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #41

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
deadlifts are awesome. a close 2nd to squats. just make sure you have a neutral spine. don't have a rounded back or an extremely arched back.

easy way for me is to have over-under grip with chalk or lynx grips.
breath in deep with your diaphragm right before you lift. protects your spine somewhat.
think of deadlifts as pushing away the ground beneath you. don't think of it as pulling it up with your arms. basically start the movement with your legs, not your arms. it'll help you move more weight.

the tips above helped me break some PRs.
+1, all good points. Over/under hand definitely helps. Use your legs/butt to lift, the arms only hold onto the bar, they don't do any of the pulling.

Keep your abs/core flexed for both deadlifts and squats to protect the spine.

I've added weighted lunges to my squats, and it absolutely kills. It's awesome.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:35 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
+1, all good points. Over/under hand definitely helps. Use your legs/butt to lift, the arms only hold onto the bar, they don't do any of the pulling.

Keep your abs/core flexed for both deadlifts and squats to protect the spine.

I've added weighted lunges to my squats, and it absolutely kills. It's awesome.

the most painful DOMS(good thing to me) i've received is from overhead walking lunges.

like this but with dumbells in each hand. awesome for core. regular walking lunges are good for grip strength. but usually i just do farmers walk

Old 11-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #43
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

When i first started i was 5'5 around 150pounds. I am now at ~160lbs and my goal is around 170lbs. i think i lost at least 10pounds of fat and gained over 20 pounds of muscle.

A average day for me is school gym sports and hw. or school work gym. I try to spend 2 hours working out and around an hour of cardio exercise with my sports club. (can be anything from hockey triathlons basketball) it is alot better than running on a treadmill and you get to new people.

Taking protein is also a good idea. remember unused protein will take alot longer to turn into fat then a cheeseburger. take 2 scoops min everyday and 1 after your workout since your muscle will be craving protein, also try not to do cardio before working out since it will use up all your energy. try taking a energy drink during workout to give you that extra boost. If you really want to build muscle you can take cretien with your protein after workouts.

For best results drink protein before and after you wake up. Train 1 group of muscle per day so you can give your muscle a rest. day 1 chest, day 2 arms, day 3 legs etc. Take 1-2 rest day per week. After workout take a scoop of protien and wait an hour before your cardio. remember your body is very tried from working out. After a few months you should see results.

Getting a good body takes dedication. i workout 6 times a week and that is on top of school and work. If you slack you gain fat.

tip1: try some sports with friends if you hate running on a treadmill. like triathlons swimming hockey soccer etc.

tip2: make sure you do cardio if you work out or else you will look like a ripped freak and some girls dont like that type of body. i think the only reason im not 180lbs is because i do cardio even though i am training to get a vin diesel body.

tip3: dont lift more then you can handle. when i first started i curled 20lbs benched 25 on each side and it was hard. now i can bench 50lbs on each side and curl 30lbs dumbbells. make sure you have a spotter if you are trying higher weights. i seen alot of guys dropping the bench bar on there chest because they benched too much. if you are using your back while curling, you are using too much weight.

syntha 6, myotien, promisil, and quattro are some of the best protein. take endoburn from bsn to boost metabolism.

Last edited by jasonc; 11-10-2010 at 02:42 PM.
jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 02:29 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Keep it simple.

1. Learn to squat
2. Buy some milk

Squats + Milk
Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #45
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Google "Rippetoe Starting Strength"
THIS.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 PM   #46
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
really good info in here lol
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #47

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
THIS.
RIPPTOES IS THE SHITS.

This workout is intense and you see massive gains.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #48
Certified Troll: Access Removed

id do some cardio first
mipy601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #49
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,228 Times in 171 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure that you find someone who can spot you for your first lifts, especially if you are doing deadlifts/squats/anything really.

Pay for a single session with a personal trainer and have them help you with your form. It will be one of the best investments you make starting your weight routine. Many people who have been training for years still have improper form and it could be dangerous. Seriously, you're lucky that you're starting now and can get it right at the beginning.

As for excersizes, if you're confused keep the 'big 6' in mind.
1) Squats
2) Deadlifts
3) Bench Press
4) Shoulder Press
5) Bent over row
6) Cleans (wait until you're a bit more experienced before going for these. But they're excellent for full-body strength)

edit: also, to help drop some fat do your cardio after you have done your weight routine. That way, your body is already in a state to burn fat since you have fired it up during your workout. If you do your cardio first, it will take up to 20 minutes for your body to get into fat-burning mode from cold start. Its not an effective use of your energy or time.

So to reiterate: GET SOMEONE TO SPOT YOUR FORM WHEN YOU ARE STARTING. You'll thank me later.
Powerslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #50
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

The guy in the video mentioned cleans too is that just the jumping up on stuff part?
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote