REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Rye Whiskeys (https://www.revscene.net/forums/606452-rye-whiskeys.html)

TekDragon 02-19-2010 11:51 AM

Rye Whiskeys

Help me out here RS. I'm almost done my bottle of Canadian Club 12 year old whiskey. I like it, it's smooth and damn good for the price. At $27, it's a steal compared to other decent 12 year old scotch whiskeys. I liked it, but I want to expand by experience with whiskeys, much like I'm trying to do with scotch.

What I need are recommendations for good whiskeys at a lower price range of under $50. Rye is preferable, but I would be up for trying a good bottle of bourbon if the price is right.

sonick 02-19-2010 01:00 PM

Wisers is my go-to for Canadian Whisky/Rye. Very smooth and mellow, easy drinking. Alberta Premium is decent as well.

Whiskey is a general term of liquors distilled from the mash of grains. Rye, Canadian Whiskey, Scotch, Bourbon, Irish Whisky, is all considered Whiskey. So when you say "I want to expand by experience with whiskeys, much like I'm trying to do with scotch.", it is kind of redundant.

Canadian/Rye whiskey is fairly cheap in BC, relative to others that are waaay overpriced.

For Bourbon, Woodford Reserve is good at around $50. Knob Creek is also good, but is a higher proof with a bit more kick. Bulleit is decent at around $35, but nowhere near as good as Woodford or Knob. Jim Beam Black is surprisngly good for the price ($18 from what I remember), but avoid Jim Beam White, that shit is nasty.

For blended scotch, Johnnie Walker Black is my favourite; very rich and smoky. A bit costlier at around $52. Johnnie Red about half the price, but it's crap. Chivas Regal is a step above JW red for about the same price.

Single Malts are quite expensive locally, only ones I've had are Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. Haven't had much to realy have a preference for either to be honest.

Jameson's is a good Irish Whiskey that is quite mild and goes down smoothly, reminds me of Wisers.

My favourites: Johnnie Walker Black, Wisers, Jameson's, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve.

TekDragon 02-19-2010 04:50 PM

Ended up with Centennial 10 year old and a bottle of Gibson's sterling.

asahai69 02-19-2010 10:59 PM

wisers deluxe

Vansterdam 02-19-2010 11:32 PM

gotta admit wisers ftw

Hondaracer 02-20-2010 08:28 PM

Gibsons gold + soda = profit

asahai69 02-21-2010 09:49 AM

took this picture last night at my buddies office/drinking spot. polished off some more wisers last night

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1266778101

wisers is always a good choice. lol

penner2k 02-21-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asahai69 (Post 6825799)
took this picture last night at my buddies office/drinking spot. polished off some more wisers last night

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...g?t=1266778101

wisers is always a good choice. lol

That is almost what it looked like at my place but with Gin.. I had like 30 bottles.. ended up getting rid of almost all of them though

asahai69 02-21-2010 10:14 AM

yeah its almost time to clear the shelf. no more space left. i think these bottles have been around for like 6 months or so. lol. brown guys and whiskey go hand in hand

observer 02-22-2010 03:53 AM

How about moving on to Scotch?

How to Taste Spirits

Malt whisky pronunciation

How to Drink Scotch Whisky

Learn about Single Malt Scotch

Z3guy 02-22-2010 06:03 AM

if you like Canadian Club Classic 12yr, try Canadian Club Sherry Cask. For Bourbon, you cannot beat Maker's Mark....a little pricey, but best bourbon period....it is on sale right now...$5 off....

Z3guy 02-22-2010 06:05 AM

for those who enjoy Wisers Deluxe, you must enjoy sweet whiskies....great for entry level whisky drinkers. Best value rye whiskey is Alberta Premium.....Jim Murray picked AB Premium as Whiskey of the Yr from 05-09.....

sonick 02-22-2010 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z3guy (Post 6826878)
if you like Canadian Club Classic 12yr, try Canadian Club Sherry Cask. For Bourbon, you cannot beat Maker's Mark....a little pricey, but best bourbon period....it is on sale right now...$5 off....

Although Makers Mark is good (currently working through a bottle right now), Knob Creek and Woodford are just a notch above Makers Mark. Recommend giving those a try if you like Makers.

Z3guy 02-22-2010 07:07 AM

^ glad you enjoy bourbon as well, but I disagree with you about Woodford and Knob Creek...I do enjoy Knob Creek, but MM is just a cut above other bourbons in regards to taste and depth of flavour. Most mixologist downtown in the kool mixology focused accts all use MM as their bourbon of choice.....I think MM is one of the most enjoyable brown spirits period....I would rank MM in the same league as Macallan Sherry Oak 12yr.