REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 02-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Eyeglass Lens Difference

If I buy a pair of lens with the same prescription and index from different stores, can there be a difference in lens quality? The reason why I ask this is becasue I went to visit a few stores to requested a quote for lens with 1.74 index and I had price ranging from $230 - $450.
Advertisement
icu222much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
depends on the lens. I use Nikon lens and they seem pretty good. A few years back my dad was getting new glasses and he went with a korean brand coz is cheaper but he keep saying the lens is fuzzy and he got heacache from using it so he switch back to nikon.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,490 Times in 4,302 Posts
There are several major lens manufacturers:

1. Essilor
2. Nikon
3. Other (i.e. Made in Korea/China/ghetto no-name brand)

While I have extensively used Essilor, my sister much prefers Nikon (having worked in the optical industry for 4+ years.) I've used weird made in Korea branded lenses before and they are terrible, much like what Mr.HappySlip described it as. I went back to Essilor right after.

Locally, I believe there is only one distributor who carries the Essilor lenses which is that you are probably paying for.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
RS controls my life!

$230 sounds pretty damn cheap for your index. Just picked up some nikon 3's (1.6 index) not long ago for free, would've been $220 reg price. The price difference is probably because of the different brands, or some shops trying to rip you off Oh, or because of the different coatings.
-lincolnboi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 AM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

What are the differences between manufacturers and brands? I thought they were the same thing.

Who gets to decide what coating gets applied onto the lens. I was talking to a sales rep and she explained that the Essilor has three coats of anti-smudge whereas the generic brands they sell only has one coat of anti-smudge.
icu222much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,490 Times in 4,302 Posts
Only certain lenses and manufacturers can only be used for varying indexes. Like -lincolnboi- mentioned, some shops will be out there to rip you off and most of the time, they will.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

when your goin @ 1.74 index.. most of my customers go for the centennial brand from burnaby .. just b/c its @ the best price point vs nikon and essilor but u do pay a premium on the better lens abbe and coatings

top 4 choices for lens

1)essilor
2)hoya
3)nikon
4)centopic
kwanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
I am Hook'd on RS

It depends on the brand. I don't think there should be too much of a difference though.
bladenemesis is offline   Reply With Quote