REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   I never wake up feeling fully refreshed. Is this sleep apnea? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/606555-i-never-wake-up-feeling-fully-refreshed-sleep-apnea.html)

Oleophobic 02-20-2010 02:52 PM

I never wake up feeling fully refreshed. Is this a sleeping problem?

To start off, just wanted to say I'm 21yo, 155lbs, 14%bf 5'7'' if it helps lol. I don't smoke or drink, and I don't have diabetes.

For the past iono 7 years I've noticed that it seems like I never get a great night's sleep like so many people do.

Let me elaborate:
SOME days are worse than others but basically when I wake up, I always feel tired, never fully awake or refreshed. Some of my friends actually say they feel "refreshed" when they wake up, but not me. On worse days, when I wake up, I feel tired and it feels like my mind has been racing the entire time I'm asleep (oh and I dream often too). Is this sleep apnea? Even if I sleep for more than 8 or 9 hours I still feel tired.

This seems to affect my daily activity too such as school and work. I would often times feel sleepy in class or at my desk at work. It's so weird. After school or work I'd want to go home. After hanging out with friends on the weekend at say Metrotown for a couple of hours I would feel tired and just want to go home. I'm never the type who says "it's so early man I don't feel like going home yet". My friends are full of energy...but not me...
another thing I should mention is that, my mind NEVER feels "light" and relaxed, it always feels heavy....

What could be the possible causes of this? One thing I've thought about for a LONG time was that it might be because I masturbate and have sex with my gf often. Every since 7-8 years ago I masturbated at least once a day, on some occasions 2-3 times. Ever since I got a gf some of the fapping sessions have been replaced with sex, but the main thing is I do it at least once a day, everyday....
is there a chance that this fatique I'm feeling is due to this?

Note: I workout 3x a week, eat healthy, low GI carbs, lots of protein and fats so it can't be my diet.

Side note: some nights I have trouble sleeping early (like 10-11pm) and end up taking 2-3 hrs to fall asleep no matter how tired I am because those times my mind just wouldn't calm down...but I think this is due to my sleeping at 2am too often the past few months. But again, this isn't the biggest issue I have, the biggest issue is that even if I sleep more than 8 hours I never feel fully awake during the day.

thanks for reading guys

here's just a quick summary:

Symptoms:
-feel tired during the day, not "full of energy" as lots of ppl who sleep well feel
-wake up feeling tired, or mind racing and not feel refreshed...even if I had 8-10 hrs sleep
-mind never feels "light", but 'heavy'....so basically my mind is never sharp and alert

Possible causes:
-too much masturbation/sex ? 1x/day for 7 years, some occasions 2-3x/day.

I know many of you guys recommend melatonin to aid in falling asleep, I think I'll check that out soon. But other than that any idea guys?

thanks!

Soundy 02-20-2010 03:03 PM

Sounds like there's a good chance you have sleep apnea. It CAN be weight-related, but that's unlikely in your case.

Best bet is it talk to your doctor or go to the local clinic... or, just go to a sleep/respiratory clinic (I recommend these guys: http://irscanada.ca). They should be able to figure out pretty easily if it's sleep apnea or something else, and come up with a treatment for you.

shenmecar 02-20-2010 05:29 PM

Shouldn't you talk to your family doctor about this?

ShadowBun 02-20-2010 10:52 PM

holy sht
me too.
I workout and eat almost same as you
similar age and bf.

i thought it was just stress and stuff ..

Soundy 02-20-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.T (Post 6825068)
Possible causes:
-too much masturbation/sex ? 1x/day for 7 years, some occasions 2-3x/day.

http://i48.tinypic.com/egbhcp.jpg

Seriously, if daily masturbation was that detrimental to the body, half the population of RS would have been dead by the age of 23.

CRS 02-21-2010 12:10 AM

It's called growing up.

I can't remember a time when I woke up and didn't feel at least a little bit tired.

ShadowBun 02-21-2010 12:25 AM

i dont want to grow up then :(

Ikkaku 02-21-2010 01:35 AM

according to some text books, sleeping more than 8 hours does more damage than good (there are always counter arguments to everything)

it's possible that you have sleep apnea, it is prevalent in those that are overweight but it does still affect those that aren't. Go talk to your doctor and get a sleep test.

and yes, the quality of sleep becomes worse as you age.

iceburner 02-21-2010 07:30 AM

Try taking a multi-vitamin before you go to sleep.
It works really well when I'm super tired and I want to wake up alert.

this doesn't really matter, but go for the kids ones, the adult multi-vitamins taste like barf

Oleophobic 02-21-2010 09:47 AM

It sucks to have my mind feel heavy all the time instead of light and relaxed. Also sucks to not feel full of energy like other people.

thanks for the responses.
Ok, one of the reasons why I don't want to see a doctor now/yet is because I'm working outside of BC for a couple of months and so it's more of a hassle finding a doctor and (if he refers me to a sleep clinic) then that too. I know health is important, but I will be back in Vancouver next month so I think I'll wait til then because it will be easier to just go to my family doctor (plus I have a car too).

yeah I just wanted to ask in case anyone has any ideas about this.

Soundy, lol yeah I wasn't 100% sure if masturbation was the cause, but like I do feel drained sometimes when I masturbate. I'm sure I read a site a while back talking about how excessive masturbation can cause fatique and other effects:

http://www.ayurvediccure.com/over_masturbation.htm

Yellowbun, hmm I was thinking maybe stress might be a factor as well. Although I wouldn't say my work or anything stresses me out, but maybe it's because I'm sitting in front of the computer too much reading stuff and not allowing myself to close my eyes and relax...

iceburner, I do take a multi-vitamin. I workout and stuff so I take a multi as well as fish oil supplements.

Ok, until I get back to vancouver, I will do the following:

-cut back on masturbation (freakin hard)
-close my eyes and relax whole mind and body often at work, and for sure at home at night sometime before sleeping
-sleep on time at night, get into a good rhythm.
-exercise (actually i do that already so it isn't really a change).

we'll see how it goes in the next month.

I'm hopeful that things will work out.

thanks

XtC_13aBy 02-27-2010 11:17 AM

from all the research that i've read in the past, sex/masturbation is actually supposed to help you sleep better... so you can cut that out of your possible list of reasons..

and each person has their own appropriate hours of sleep to feel well rested.. Usually it is 6-8 hours, varies amongst each person.. if you oversleep that will also make you tired.