REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Amsterdam: Vacation

So I'm thinking of traveling to Amsterdam for 4:20 this year and wanted to see if anybody here has any experience with the place. Anything would be helpful from destinations to check out, public transportation, good party places, etc.

Thanks!
Advertisement

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Was there last year, LOVED it.

stayed at the Bulldog Hostel which was in the center of everything: http://www.bulldoghotel.com/

Cheap, clean, friendly, central.

Had a great time from what i can remember...we just got there and didn't plan anything except our hostel and then just did whatever came up during our stay.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, i'll see what i can remember
Old 03-12-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
i heard its actually scary if you go out at night or certain time? Can anyone confirm ?

many people robs the tourists
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #4

I guess it could be but I was with 3 other guys so I never felt unsafe. BUT, although 420 and other stuff is legal there, expect to still have a ton of shady guys walking by or in the streets asking if you want to buy charlie (slang for cocaine). Just keep walking and you'll be fine.

Just be smart about it like any other place.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstoner View Post
i heard its actually scary if you go out at night or certain time? Can anyone confirm ?

many people robs the tourists
Not really. Just use common sense as you would in any other big city
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #6

Thanks for the info so far. Looks like a 420 trip is not in play anymore. Although all it means is I might be going at a different time. Any more news keep it comin! Thanks!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Don't touch hard drugs in Amsterdam...that shit is definitely not legal. There's plenty of other stuff you can have without problems like weed and mushrooms.

My friends and I stumbled around the city stoned and drunk out of our minds, and it never felt unsafe but we're four dudes so I'm sure people would think twice before trying to jack us. However, on the whole, I didn't think the city was any sort of unsafe although I'd exercise precaution when dealing with anything in Amsterdam at night.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
Banned (BBM)

the city of dream

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:44 AM   #9
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I loved Amsterdam when I was there. Remember that smoking marijuana on the streets is actually illegal. It's legal in the many so called coffee shops.

It may comes across as obvious but check out the red light district. The degree of liberalness regarding prostitution is definitely a bit of a culture shock. You'll see anything from rowdy teens to families strolling around there.

In terms of other touristy spots, I enjoyed the tour of the Anne Frank museum (I'm a huge history buff) and the Heineken tour was awesome too. We were going to check out the Van Gogh museum but after The Louvre in Paris, we decided to pass and checked out the House of Bols cocktail exhibit instead.

You'll love Amsterdam. Beyond the commonly mentioned prostitutes and marijuana, the city is gorgeous with canals running thing many of the streets
GFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #10

Thanks for all the info. Big decision now whether to go to Amsterdam or another location. Sadly me and my gf don't have the budget to do multiple European destinations and if we go would only manage to go to Amsterdam. But I fear staying here alone for a week might get a little boring and perhaps even a waste. Perhaps go somewhere else and come back when we have a big enough budget to at least hit up a few different spots. The dilemma!

Old 03-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Thanks for all the info. Big decision now whether to go to Amsterdam or another location. Sadly me and my gf don't have the budget to do multiple European destinations and if we go would only manage to go to Amsterdam. But I fear staying here alone for a week might get a little boring and perhaps even a waste. Perhaps go somewhere else and come back when we have a big enough budget to at least hit up a few different spots. The dilemma!
Hey, my recommendation is that if you are spending the airfare to go overseas, then stay the entire week. A few days is okay, but better if it is a week. As for other EU locations, i really really liked the Greek islands as well, and if you go just before the tourist season, it's actually really cheap to stay there. Greek people are some of the nicest people we met in our travels too. And if you do get there, you can always take a relatively cheap ferry from island to island and that will make sure you're not bored. I loved Greece too, it was desktop wallpaper come to life!

If you want something a little cheaper, I think Budapest would be good too. I actually haven't been there, but I hear it's cheaper than the rest of western EU and i've seen my friends pics and it's pretty dope too.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
If you are on a budget, don't buy EuroRail / Bahn passes ahead of time. Instead, once you get there, lookout for cheap deals to anywhere on the web from ryanair, easyjet etc (those airlines you will need to pay for bus far to airport as they are not the central ones).

You will see more for the amount of money, sometimes quite exotic eg Istanbul etc.

Get a membership on hostelling international if you want to stay money, but watch out for bed bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
You should go even if it is just a week. A week gives you a proper amount of time to soak up and to understand the local culture which is what I enjoy about travelling short-term.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
You should go even if it is just a week. A week gives you a proper amount of time to soak up and to understand the local culture which is what I enjoy about travelling short-term.
That's true too. I don't know the great debate continues but thanks for all the replies so far.