REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

canine question

Hi I was wondering about this today while driving in a neighbourhood.

if you ran over a dog that was unleashed on a side street because it suddenly jumped onto the road and the owner sues you later for vet fees + emotional distress will ICBC cover it under comprehensive or third-party liability?
Or is it time to go to small-claims court?
Advertisement
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_clue View Post
Hi I was wondering about this today while driving in a neighbourhood.

if you ran over a dog that was unleashed on a side street because it suddenly jumped onto the road and the owner sues you later for vet fees + emotional distress will ICBC cover it under comprehensive or third-party liability?
Or is it time to go to small-claims court?
If the dog is unleashed in the public, any subsequent damage or liability will be on the owner. So if the dog jumped infront of your car and hit it, you can sue (well ICBC will do this) the owner of the dog.

The dog owner will have no grounds to sue you if you were just driving while breaking no laws and the dog jumped infront of your car. He should have had his dog leashed. It is only when you have some sort of neglect on your part that would be liable.

It would be ideal to have witnesses of what happened and to snap some pictures of the dog to show that he did/does not have a leash on. I know this sounds terrible but you are covering your own butt on this.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #3

if the owner b*tches at you tell him/her you would sue him/her for damages done to your vehicle
hsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #4
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
As a dog owner ( 2) I wish that sometimes the owners were the ones speyed and neutered. ")
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

A dog jumped in front of my car before but jumped out of the way just in time and the owner was at the side of the street and didn't even do anything. It's almost like he sent his dog out to get hit. Luckily, I was able to stop in time, but it was scary.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
A dog jumped in front of my car before but jumped out of the way just in time and the owner was at the side of the street and didn't even do anything. It's almost like he sent his dog out to get hit. Luckily, I was able to stop in time, but it was scary.
its called shock... when mine jumped my front yard fence to chase a dog across the street and almost got hot by a car i was in shock for 2-3 seconds at least....
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #7
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I actually ALMOST ran over a dog literally in front of my driveway once. The entire street knows that this one dog down the street likes to go apeshit whenever something passes by (be it cars, children, birds etc...) There was this one night when I was driving on my street, and the dog just jumped onto the road, with the leash slipping out of the owner's hands...

In that case, IF I actually did run over the dog, would I be liable? I mean... the entire street knows that is one screwed up dog, so screwed up it bit an old lady once and has made multiple children cry.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:53 PM   #8

comprehensive will probably cover it, run it over and do your street a favour.

j/k
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote