REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
LA Laker Andrew Bynums custom GTR

WOW not at all what I expected from an NBA player, before I clicked on SuperStreet expecting to see it all chromed out and raped from various positions, but this is really well done and properly put together. He took the best from both worlds, best tuner in North America, with COBB and the best aesthetics from the land of the rising sun, WALD

http://www.superstreetonline.com/fea...son/index.html

2009 Nissan GT-R Black Bison - Franchise Player
Los Angeles Lakers' Star Andrew Bynum Gets Major Inside His Nissan GT-R, Equipped With A $20k Body Kit
January, 2010
By Roel Concepcion
Photography by Sean Klingelhoefer

2009 Nissan Gt R Front
There are essentially two freeways that one may take to head into Staples Center in Downtown Los Angeles - the 10 and the 110. At any given time of the day, you may find yourself parked in the middle of either one of these freeways. Both of them are constantly jam packed from the break of dawn to the desperate gots-to-get-home hours of the evening.

I'm not just talking about the regular rush hour weekdays either. I'm also including the inexplicable "where the hell is everyone going to cause this traffic?" weekends, and the "why didn't I just take the side streets to avoid this mess?" late nights to the club. When people talk about how bad traffic is in Los Angeles, they might be referring to these freeways.

On days when the Lakers play, hours before tipoff, cars are at a virtual standstill on these two freeways - even more than usual. These are the times, if you happen to be stuck on game days, you get a chance to revel at the Los Angeles skyline, take in the warm weather or perhaps make fun of the guy next to you who's been picking his nose for the past two exits. Just make sure he's not a gun-toting Cholo because he will shoot at you - seriously.

Last month, I found myself stuck on the 10 Freeway heading downtown and decided to cruise down the side streets to avoid the chaos. I had the pleasure of scoring a pair of tickets to a Lakers game. Since I pride myself in being a veteran L.A. driver, I know every conceivable route to get to Staples Center without having to deal with the congestion. I took Olympic Blvd. and weaved through the slow cars, jaywalkers and hipsters on fixies. It was when I hit a stoplight that made me pump my brakes and slow down. It's not unusual to see celebrities on these L.A. roads.

On bad days, you may spot some duds like New Edition's Johnny Gill inside his Hummer, for example. Who's Johnny Gill, you ask? The answer: exactly. On good days, you may see some A-listers, like Cameron Diaz in her Prius, Brad Pitt on his bike or Jonathan Wong in his pink IS 300.

On that particular day, driving next to me was no other than Lakers center, Andrew Bynum. I immediately recognized him, but he wasn't the reason why I looked over in the first place. It was his pristine '09 Nissan GT-R that caught my attention. I immediately stalked him like a prepubescent teen on a Hot Import Nights import model, and the following thoughts came through my head.
2009 Nissan Gt R Rear 2009 Nissan Gt R Side 2009 Nissan Gt R Engine Bay

1) I can't believe Andrew drives a GT-R. An unusual pick for a center, considering Shaq drove around in what seemed like a semi-truck when he was in L.A.

2) I can't believe I'm chasing him down on Olympic Blvd. The last time I chased someone on the streets was when I thought I spotted Kate Beckinsale driving only to find out it was the Filipino dude from Journey.

3) Why is everyone on the road laughing at me? Yeah, I'm picking my nose. Get over it!

At any rate, Andrew lost me three blocks later, and I was not only stuck at another red light but I also made my nose bleed from jamming finger in so high. Days later, I find out that Andrew's GT-R was legit. After searching the Internet, I find out that it wasn't the first time he's been caught driving to Staples Center in his GT-R. Several paparazzi-style photos from fans popped up on Flickr, and his GT-R is a continuing subject line in several Nissan forums.

It turns out Andrew, when he's not boxing dudes out on the block, is a car aficionado with a slew of cars in his possession. WPI Motorsports helped Andrew build the GT-R, which is one of his favorite daily drivers, to the specs you see now. It's a work in progress seeing that Andrew travels the country half of the year, and training and vacationing in the other half.

The most prominent feature is undoubtedly the Wald Sports Line Black Bison edition body kit. Retailing at nearly $20,000 the Wald kit is an engineering wonder. Built at Wald's Osaka, Japan factory, each kit features European designing that cater to Japanese auto and driving performance. Their Sports Line brand is specifically made for street sports, and the kit for the GT-R is as artful as you can possibly get with aerodynamics. Andrew wanted a body kit that was not only unique, but also helped elevate his baller status. And if there's anything Wald can do, it's help establish the baller status in you.

Underneath the chassis is a set of 21-inch Radernergie Motorsport 3-piece wheels. Wrapped in Pirelli P Zero Nero tires, the wheels are forged aluminum alloy that are heat treated and aged for durability and strength. More importantly, they weigh in super-light for wheels so big in diameter, which makes for some unfettered speed, given the traffic of course.

Under the hood is more or less stock aside from the Harman Motive cold-air intake and exhaust midpipe, as well as the Turbosmart dual-port blow-off valves. It's just proof that the GT-R is svelte off the lot and modifying the engine would just be messing with perfection. Andrew does have a long list of future modifications he'd like to do to the car, but like every other tuner out there, it all comes down to time and money. OK, maybe not the money.

I'm just glad that tuning isn't just a sport that's limited to the common man and Paul Walker. It's a good thing to hear that someone like Andrew Bynum is knee deep into the culture that we all love. If there's anything that can bring a large group together, it's the art of tuning. I'm talking to you, Celtics fans. Next time you're in L.A. keep a look out for Andrew's GT-R and maybe you can feel the thrill of racing him down Olympic Blvd.
2009 Nissan Gt R Tail Lights 2009 Nissan Gt R Engine 2009 Nissan Gt R Sub Enclosure

Tuning Menu
2009 Nissan GT-R
Owner Andrew Bynum
Hometown los angeles, ca
Occupation Starting Center, Los Angeles Lakers

Engine 3.8L VR38DETT engine; Harman Motive Cold-Air Intakes, exhaust and mid-pipe; Turbosmart dual-port blow-off valves

Engine Management Cobb Access port Stage 2 tune

Power 580 horsepower est.

Footwork & Chassis KW Variant 3 coilovers

Wheels & Tires 21x9.5 (f) 21x11 (r) Radenergie Motorsport R10 3-piece forged "Carbon Edition" wheels; Pirelli P Zero Nero 245/35-21 (f) 285/30-21 (r)

Exterior Wald GT-R Sports Line Black Bison Edition body kit: front bumper spoiler with grille cover, front lip, side duct, undercover fog lamps, side steps rear diffuser, trunk spoiler, rear wing flap rear over fender

Thanks You DJ Mbenga, Luke Walton, Adam Morrison, Chick Hearn, SouthBay Autohaus, Pirelli

this is Andrew Bynum by the way for those that don't know him, at 7'1 and 21 years old he is already one of the best Centers in the league.

Advertisement

Last edited by G-spec; 02-26-2010 at 01:05 PM.
G-spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Banned (BBM)

wow im surprised he didnt nigger it out

the dude is like 7 feet 270 pounds..he can fit into a GT RAWR?
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
wow im surprised he didnt nigger it out

the dude is like 7 feet 270 pounds..he can fit into a GT RAWR?
i was going to say the same,, will he fit?? If he does, damm that car is spacious
VBP EP3 *sold*
Eros250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eros250 View Post
i was going to say the same,, will he fit?? If he does, damm that car is spacious
dude wtf have you SEEN a GTR? That thing is MASSIVE!

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
so are a lot of cars but the interiors are a different story
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #6
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
that is sick
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #7
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
lucky guy
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
Banned (ABWS)

That's nice. Bynum was 17 when he entered the league(youngest ever). Check out this battle between him and Shaq:

LOL, and here Bynum swears at Sash:

LOL!!

BTW fuck the Lakers...
Actually Bynum's alright, I just hate Kobe.
JiggaZed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

this is old news but nice since I'm a Lakers fan

Last edited by FatalCloud; 02-26-2010 at 02:50 PM.
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:12 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

minus the stickers
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiggaZed View Post
That's nice. Bynum was 17 when he entered the league(youngest ever). Check out this battle between him and Shaq:

YouTube- Andrew Bynum!

LOL, and here Bynum swears at Sash:

YouTube- Andrew Bynum Cusses @ Sasha Vujacic

LOL!!

BTW fuck the Lakers...
Actually Bynum's alright, I just hate Kobe.

Kobe's the best, he can jump over moving aston martins
youngq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
nice GT-R~!
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #13
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
nice GT-R~!
praise from Caeser
stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

damn ... that shit is hot ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Saw that a while back... I think all he did was give it to some shop and dumped them a bunch of money and tell them to properly mod a GTR. Wald is famous amongst the exotic car industry now so any high end shop would know about the Wald kit. Other parts are mostly euro, so high end shops would have access to them anyways.