REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Gym Membership Expired, Looking For New Gym (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607329-gym-membership-expired-looking-new-gym.html)

KO7 03-01-2010 02:25 PM

Gym Membership Expired, Looking For New Gym

Is there a gym not too far from East Van that has a glute-ham raise machine, multiple squat racks and incline benches, and room and equipment for plyometrics? Ideally no more than $35 a month.

Was previously training at Trout Lake CC cause I like the empty raquetball room for sprints and plyos, but my membership expired and they're going to close down for renovations in April. The weightroom is also really cramped and there's often a wait now for the one squat rack and one incline bench.

Thanks

v1nce 03-01-2010 02:36 PM

sport central is just over knightstreet bridge / behind home depot if your willing to go there depending where you live in east van.
$99 inititiation fee + 2x.xx per month depending what package they are offering.

hchang 03-01-2010 03:58 PM

Steve Nash/Fitness World is having a promotion of $10 off per month after initiation fees.

KO7 03-01-2010 04:02 PM

I called Sport Central just now. Initiation fee of $99 sours the deal. Also, the receptionist got confused by a "squat rack" and "glute ham raise" so she got someone else on the phone. Other person mentioned there's 3 squat racks, but doesn't know what a glute-ham raise is.

Anyone here have experience at Drive Fitness on Alderbridge? It looks like a nice place that's more geared towards developing athletes rather than bodybuilders. Does it get busy to the point of waiting for equipment, and how is the regular crowd that goes there? The prices seem good, $120 for 4 months, no contracts or initiation fees.

Fuhrėr-Z 03-01-2010 08:58 PM

Steve Nash Gym was a pour experience for me, person who did my initiation sign up was a complete bitch(richmond). I go to the YMCA(Langara), pretty nice facility, kinda busy though.

RacePace 03-01-2010 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KO7 (Post 6838884)
I called Sport Central just now. Initiation fee of $99 sours the deal. Also, the receptionist got confused by a "squat rack" and "glute ham raise" so she got someone else on the phone. Other person mentioned there's 3 squat racks, but doesn't know what a glute-ham raise is.

There is one

StealthFighter 03-02-2010 02:44 AM

raptor's gym on kingsway and gladstone? across from canadian tire.

i'm using the school one for free now, but probably will go to raptors sometime in the future.

L0uie69 03-02-2010 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illuminate (Post 6839487)
There is one

Sport central does not have a GHR machine

KO7 03-02-2010 12:37 PM

I went to the address on Drive Fitness' website, and it's now a Chinese herbal store or something :(

KO7 03-02-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthFighter (Post 6839895)
raptor's gym on kingsway and gladstone? across from canadian tire.

i'm using the school one for free now, but probably will go to raptors sometime in the future.

Called Raptor's. 3 months for $100 is good, but the guy who answered the phone doesn't even know what plyometrics is.

Called Drive Basketball (Drive Fitness' voice mail is full) and they said they no longer do fitness. They've sold all their equipment to Gold's Gym, and their rates are too high for me.

Anybody know of any places like what Drive Fitness used to be (squat racks, GHR, plyometrics) for $35 a month or less without initiation fees?

kouka86 03-03-2010 03:24 PM

Revs in Burnaby, $35 a month, no contract, not initiation fees
They have racquetball courts, and most people don't know there is a gym attached to the bowling alley so the weight room is not usually busy.

KO7 03-03-2010 05:29 PM

Hmm I never knew they had a gym there either. Do you work out there? Squat racks, GHR, plyometric area and equipment?

kouka86 03-04-2010 12:16 PM

They always have open racquetball courts so you could possibly use that as a plyometric area, not really too sure what equipment you would need. I'm pretty sure they have 2 squat racks.

azncreationz 03-05-2010 06:08 PM

If you want 'cheap' but adequate, then you can try Fit Express. It's $19.99 a month, but I think you have to agree to sign for a year or two. They have a location in North Burnaby at Gilmore and Hastings, and one on 1st Ave by Commercial.
I'm thinking of cancelling my membership there since I have a gym at work now, maybe you'd want to buy my membership from me? :)

charlesd 03-06-2010 01:38 AM

I like Revs myself, its relatively quiet there, I believe they're currently in the process of upgrading their equipment and doing some renovations as well. $35 a month is not bad...especially for someone like me who doesn't go consistenly enough to warrant a contract.