REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Question Gym Membership Expired, Looking For New Gym

Is there a gym not too far from East Van that has a glute-ham raise machine, multiple squat racks and incline benches, and room and equipment for plyometrics? Ideally no more than $35 a month.

Was previously training at Trout Lake CC cause I like the empty raquetball room for sprints and plyos, but my membership expired and they're going to close down for renovations in April. The weightroom is also really cramped and there's often a wait now for the one squat rack and one incline bench.

Thanks
Advertisement
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

sport central is just over knightstreet bridge / behind home depot if your willing to go there depending where you live in east van.
$99 inititiation fee + 2x.xx per month depending what package they are offering.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Steve Nash/Fitness World is having a promotion of $10 off per month after initiation fees.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #4
KO7

I called Sport Central just now. Initiation fee of $99 sours the deal. Also, the receptionist got confused by a "squat rack" and "glute ham raise" so she got someone else on the phone. Other person mentioned there's 3 squat racks, but doesn't know what a glute-ham raise is.

Anyone here have experience at Drive Fitness on Alderbridge? It looks like a nice place that's more geared towards developing athletes rather than bodybuilders. Does it get busy to the point of waiting for equipment, and how is the regular crowd that goes there? The prices seem good, $120 for 4 months, no contracts or initiation fees.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Steve Nash Gym was a pour experience for me, person who did my initiation sign up was a complete bitch(richmond). I go to the YMCA(Langara), pretty nice facility, kinda busy though.
Fuhrėr-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #6
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,320 Times in 331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
I called Sport Central just now. Initiation fee of $99 sours the deal. Also, the receptionist got confused by a "squat rack" and "glute ham raise" so she got someone else on the phone. Other person mentioned there's 3 squat racks, but doesn't know what a glute-ham raise is.
There is one
RacePace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

raptor's gym on kingsway and gladstone? across from canadian tire.

i'm using the school one for free now, but probably will go to raptors sometime in the future.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 AM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminate View Post
There is one
Sport central does not have a GHR machine
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
KO7

I went to the address on Drive Fitness' website, and it's now a Chinese herbal store or something
Old 03-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
KO7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
raptor's gym on kingsway and gladstone? across from canadian tire.

i'm using the school one for free now, but probably will go to raptors sometime in the future.
Called Raptor's. 3 months for $100 is good, but the guy who answered the phone doesn't even know what plyometrics is.

Called Drive Basketball (Drive Fitness' voice mail is full) and they said they no longer do fitness. They've sold all their equipment to Gold's Gym, and their rates are too high for me.

Anybody know of any places like what Drive Fitness used to be (squat racks, GHR, plyometrics) for $35 a month or less without initiation fees?
Old 03-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Revs in Burnaby, $35 a month, no contract, not initiation fees
They have racquetball courts, and most people don't know there is a gym attached to the bowling alley so the weight room is not usually busy.
kouka86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #12
KO7

Hmm I never knew they had a gym there either. Do you work out there? Squat racks, GHR, plyometric area and equipment?
Old 03-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

They always have open racquetball courts so you could possibly use that as a plyometric area, not really too sure what equipment you would need. I'm pretty sure they have 2 squat racks.
kouka86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

If you want 'cheap' but adequate, then you can try Fit Express. It's $19.99 a month, but I think you have to agree to sign for a year or two. They have a location in North Burnaby at Gilmore and Hastings, and one on 1st Ave by Commercial.
I'm thinking of cancelling my membership there since I have a gym at work now, maybe you'd want to buy my membership from me?
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #15
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I like Revs myself, its relatively quiet there, I believe they're currently in the process of upgrading their equipment and doing some renovations as well. $35 a month is not bad...especially for someone like me who doesn't go consistenly enough to warrant a contract.
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote