REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   tainted windows and drinking (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607618-tainted-windows-drinking.html)

genesis195 03-03-2010 11:37 PM

tainted windows and drinking

got two unrelated questions. The answers are probably out there, but it would be nice if someone could answer me here instead (i know.. i'm lazy T^T)

1. tainted front windows, are they allowed?

2. I have my full license, well I'm actually from Alberta and haven't changed to my BC license yet. My insurance is still Alberta's. Anyways, What's the alcohol tolerance for a full license in BC?

Fafine 03-04-2010 12:37 AM

you must still be drunk. No front tint is allowed. alcohol tolerance is 0.08

genesis195 03-04-2010 12:44 AM

haha spell fail again... no i'm not drunk >< hhaha i just suck at spelling. alright thanks for the answer! even a little tint isn't allowed? :(

urban.boi 03-04-2010 04:22 AM

ANY front tint isn't allowed even in Alberta.
and alcohol tolerance is same as Alberta, 0.08

ninjatune 03-04-2010 07:45 AM

Under the criminal code it's .08, but under the BC MVA .05 to .10 is a 24hr roadside suspension

skidmark 03-04-2010 11:44 AM

And if the officer can show you have been resident in BC for more than 30 days, you run into vehicle licensing problems. More than 90 days and you run into both DL and vehicle license problems.

Probably time to get organized or you will end up paying twice or possibly even walking.

urban.boi 03-04-2010 03:24 PM

^ I believe he is a student here in BC.
When I was a student here I also ran on AB insurance and plate, until recently that I moved down than I had to change to BC plate/insurance.

hchang 03-04-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban.boi (Post 6844004)
^ I believe he is a student here in BC.
When I was a student here I also ran on AB insurance and plate, until recently that I moved down than I had to change to BC plate/insurance.

If I was to study in say, Alberta.
Would I be able to keep my BC DL but get alberta plates? (Cause I'm positve that Alberta insurance HAS to be cheaper than ICBC)
Also, would that make my car an out of province car if I end up coming back to BC?
Thanks.

urban.boi 03-04-2010 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hchang (Post 6844037)
If I was to study in say, Alberta.
Would I be able to keep my BC DL but get alberta plates? (Cause I'm positve that Alberta insurance HAS to be cheaper than ICBC)
Also, would that make my car an out of province car if I end up coming back to BC?
Thanks.

I'm not to sure about it best to call up ICBC to make sure. But as for insurance I found that it's cheaper here for me than in Alberta.

Edison_Chen 03-04-2010 04:27 PM

If you register the vehicle in Alberta, and when you come back you will need to perform an opv inspection, and on the registration at the bottom it will say Canadian Import.

genesis195 03-04-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urban.boi (Post 6844088)
I'm not to sure about it best to call up ICBC to make sure. But as for insurance I found that it's cheaper here for me than in Alberta.

ya i can back that up! I checked for ICBC since i might need to get insurance here. But ya, BC insurance is alot cheaper then Alberta insurance.
As for the license issues, as long as your family is living in Alberta and you are a student in BC, then you are allowed to keep your Alberta license.

But if i do tint my window.. how bad is the penalty, would it be ticket / demerit points? or just money?

CRS 03-04-2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis195 (Post 6844100)
ya i can back that up! I checked for ICBC since i might need to get insurance here. But ya, BC insurance is alot cheaper then Alberta insurance.
As for the license issues, as long as your family is living in Alberta and you are a student in BC, then you are allowed to keep your Alberta license.

But if i do tint my window.. how bad is the penalty, would it be ticket / demerit points? or just money?

Could end up with a tow + removal/inspection + fine.

End price around 300 dollars. So the cost of the tint and then some.

zulutango 03-04-2010 07:36 PM

The..."live where it is cheaper" to save money on your insurance game can be very costly if you get caught. IF you are a legit student from another province who is attending a recognized school in BC AND AND AND AND...you apply to ICBC within 30 days of arriving in BC for the student exemption, then the regsitration change is waived. If you do NOT apply within the 30 days, you are NOT exempt and must change to BC.

It comes down to the term "ordnarily resident"......do you get mail, bills, have cable or electricity hooked up, pay rent, a BC CareCard ???? If so, you are ordnarily resident here. With computers, it's quite easy to check these days. If you are from Alberta and get into a crash here in BC while "ordnarily resident" here, your private Alberta insurance company will NOT cover you. There is case law on this. If you try the same thing in Alberta while pretending to be living in BC, ICBC will hoop you too.
Just remember, your out of province DL and registration is only valid for use in BC IF you fulfill the requirements of legal DL/rergistration in your home province. Living in BC on an Alberta DL or plate is not following Alberta requirements, therefore you are not registered, licenced or insured. Take the gamble, get caught and screw the rest of your life in a million dollar plus lawsuit....plus any criminal/motor vehicle act charges.

Soundy 03-04-2010 08:10 PM

^In short... you get screwed from BOTH sides!

1exotic 03-04-2010 08:27 PM

tainted........ lol

genesis195 03-04-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 6844362)
The..."live where it is cheaper" to save money on your insurance game can be very costly if you get caught. IF you are a legit student from another province who is attending a recognized school in BC AND AND AND AND...you apply to ICBC within 30 days of arriving in BC for the student exemption, then the regsitration change is waived. If you do NOT apply within the 30 days, you are NOT exempt and must change to BC.

It comes down to the term "ordnarily resident"......do you get mail, bills, have cable or electricity hooked up, pay rent, a BC CareCard ???? If so, you are ordnarily resident here. With computers, it's quite easy to check these days. If you are from Alberta and get into a crash here in BC while "ordnarily resident" here, your private Alberta insurance company will NOT cover you. There is case law on this. If you try the same thing in Alberta while pretending to be living in BC, ICBC will hoop you too.
Just remember, your out of province DL and registration is only valid for use in BC IF you fulfill the requirements of legal DL/rergistration in your home province. Living in BC on an Alberta DL or plate is not following Alberta requirements, therefore you are not registered, licenced or insured. Take the gamble, get caught and screw the rest of your life in a million dollar plus lawsuit....plus any criminal/motor vehicle act charges.

Ahhh thank you so much for your in-depth explanation. But yes, I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear for now based on your input :thumbsup:

bui95 03-04-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1exotic (Post 6844433)
tainted........ lol

he was drunk when he wrote this thread. :haha:

genesis195 03-04-2010 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bui95 (Post 6844531)
he was drunk when he wrote this thread. :haha:

more like tired as fu*k when i wrote this >< i've learned my lesson during first year uni. Never drink and type things on the net. bad and ugly things happen :haha:

Soundy 03-05-2010 08:49 AM

Zulu posts drunk all the time :D

zulutango 03-05-2010 09:08 AM

Actually more PMS than booze....looking at the sunshine and then at my bike at the back of the garage...and deciding if I can grab a TOP for the weekend. I feel the need for the wind in my face again.....and no, I'm not sticking my head out of the car windown with a helmet on.....again! :)