REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
I bringith the lowerballerith

Battery dead? or bad starter?

g35x 2008.
OEM battery is known to suck and die within 2 years / less

yesterday the car died.
i jumpstartedand it worked! so i dropve around for 10min-ish parked it again at home
this morning. didnt start again.

SO when i try to turn the car everything dies, but if i just have the accesories on, etc it all works.

Headlights, the g35 screen, music, horn, air conditioner all work! but if i try to turn on the car. it makes half a turn and then everything shuts off. but i can turn everything back on again except engine.

is that possible? audio everything works, even headlgihts and airconditioner? I have to wait until my friend can come and boost me so yea..oh and when i have it at ACC, it makes werid thumping noise. and my cd change randomly goes off. but i have no cds in it or anything. (caused by low voltage fucking the system up??)

also is it bad to use a car as booster car, especially with newer technology filled cars?
Advertisement
geeknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Are you parking outdoor ?
Cold Weather + Weak Battery

same as my battery.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
bad battery, might not be holding charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Likely a bad battery. Accessories require very little current compared to starting a car.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

sounded like me a month ago.
just get your battery replaced.

other than cambodian tire, where do you guys go to get it fixed quick?
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
This title intentionally left blank MOD

1) What is the year, make and model of the car
2) Make sure the charging system is indeed charging the battery (alternators can and do die) - if you aren't making long trips with the car, the battery will sustain the "driving" portion of the car temporarily until the car shuts off, but will be unable to draw enough amperage to "start" again.
3) If the charging system is working fine (charging at ~14-14.5v) odds are you're in need of a battery
4) If not charging, ensure there are no fuses in the charging system circuit (Ford does this, for example) and make sure the battery will charge using a battery charger; if available

There is a lot more that can be said on the subject, but the basic checks that you should be able to do on your own/with friends are what I just listed.

As far as batteries, you can buy them at Lordco, Napa, Costco, Walmart, CT, etc. etc. etc.

A battery is there for a few reasons.

1) It supplies enough current to the starter to "crank" the engine upon startup
2) It supplies reserve capacity to the accessories when the engine is off, but you have lights, radios, etc. on
3) It smooths out current draw from the alternator/charging system to your accessories. Your alternator can supply anywhere from 75-150A (there are exceptions, both high and low) but if you're at low RPM, have the headlights on, have the wipers on full-blast, have the rear defogger grid on, have the blower on full, have the stereo thumping hard, etc. it can potentially exceed the max amperage of the alternator in your car. If the battery wasn't there (or isn't accepting a charge), you'd notice headlights going bright then dim then bright then dim every time the wipers moved, the blower would change in speed slightly at stops and get quicker while driving, any time the cooling fan kicked in you'd notice lights dim, blower slow down a bit, etc.

Anyways, I digress, but yeah, see if the car's charging system is working (should be 13.5+ bare minimum, anything under 13 means it's not charging).

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #7

1. 2008 g35x infiniti
2. i think it charges. ive read in the g35 forums that the battery is known to suck balls and cant hold a good charge. how do i check if alternator is the problem or not?
3. how do i know its charging at 14~14.5v?
4. any1 know of this for the g35x? i dont think was mentioned in the battery thread in g35 forums so im guessning not.

what type of battery should i buy? infiniti has a pro-rated battery price so my first year of ownership battery is replaced free, 2nd year i pay 25%, 3rd 50% and so on. (not exactly sure on the percentage)

I was quoted about 140$ at infiniti. should i? im thinking i rather not cuz OEM probably die again after 1.5 years (my cars age right now)

any recommendatoins? quite a few users in g35forum use duralast gold? or smting. opinions? thanks.

*after jumpstarting the car, i just went for a 40min. hopefully tmrw morning, the car will start again.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

nissans suck
Old 03-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,502 Times in 1,160 Posts
If your car still has warranty, take it to dealer.

I had to get my battery replaced in my csx once free of charge cause the battery wasn't holding a charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 PM   #10

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
I know you are a geeknerd but we ain't onstar we can't diagnose cars from over here.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:55 PM   #11

^this is a car forum with many experienced ethusiasts. i was asking for some opinions. im sure other people have had similiar experiences and dont mind sharing such as alatars post.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #12

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
true but there are still infinite number of possibilities so asking on a forum about that kind of stuff is hardly conclusive.

to actually decode between an A or B situation through online diagnosis is impossible. coz most likely it's C.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 AM   #13
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I think you got it confused. The majority of people here only talk about cars. They complain about bad service they receive at questionable establishments who lured them in with unbelievable low prices. They very rarely work on their own cars.

Having said that, it could be a your alternator which is not charging your battery. (or you have not drive it far enough for it to full recharge the battery). The accessories draw very little current compared to starting the car.

The best and easiest thing for you to do is to just call Infiniti, they would even cover your alternate transport. They will flat bed your car to the nearest dealership.

Else if you want to get your hands dirty, you can unplug the battery (I am assuming you don't know how to test a battery yourself), take it to CT for a free battery test. If it is dead, then replace it.

Your car is new, you have warranty.. why make a huge drama out of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
^this is a car forum with many experienced ethusiasts. i was asking for some opinions. im sure other people have had similiar experiences and dont mind sharing such as alatars post.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:30 PM   #14

if i want dealership to CHECK if it a power drain problem or just battery they gonna charge me 60$.
On top of that replacing the battery + labor is 141$. = 200$.
200$ to go to infiniti and get OEM. or buy a better battery for cheaper.

just wanted to know if they're were ways of knowing that its the battery's problem without shelling 60$ and godwin actually helped me.

Quote:
you can unplug the battery (I am assuming you don't know how to test a battery yourself), take it to CT for a free battery test
Old 03-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
This is the first time I have encountered Infiniti charging for diagnostic when there is clearly a fault.. my sister has been a loyal Infiniti customer since the J30. We never got charged for diagnostics etc, especially when the cars were in warranty. Is your car a US car?

$200 for a battery with labour, enviro fee and taxes etc is actually really good price. Not to mention you won't void your warranty (especially you don't know if your alternator is shot or not).

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeknerd View Post
if i want dealership to CHECK if it a power drain problem or just battery they gonna charge me 60$.
On top of that replacing the battery + labor is 141$. = 200$.
200$ to go to infiniti and get OEM. or buy a better battery for cheaper.

just wanted to know if they're were ways of knowing that its the battery's problem without shelling 60$ and godwin actually helped me.

Last edited by godwin; 03-12-2010 at 08:31 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

jumping a car and then driving it for a little while wont always charge it....get a 45 dollar battery charger from walmart and hook it up....the instructions will tell u what all the bright lights mean and it will also tell u if the battery is cooked or if it just needs a fuull charge
92 Ford Festiva aka the FASTiva (Big GoKart)
08 GSX-R 600 (Sold)
90 Acura Integra Beater (Sold)
97 Jeep Tj Sahara (Sold)
93 Si Hatch Turbo'd IC'd 11 psi (Sold)
1992 Jeep Cherokee LTD (RIP)
1990 MitsubishEagle Talon Tsi (Sold)
brute_4s is offline   Reply With Quote