REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Spending money on clothes (https://www.revscene.net/forums/608458-spending-money-clothes.html)

tacobell 03-11-2010 04:08 PM

Spending money on clothes

I've been reading through the thread, 'List your latest fashion purchases' and it's got me wondering how do you guys justify spending your money on expensive clothes? I'm not saying you shouldn't spend your money on expensive clothes, but what are some of the things you tell yourself to justify your purchase?

I make about $60k a year, I'm not a cheap person, I spend money, I like to think I have ok fashion sense, but I can never convince myself to spend $400 on a hoodie or $200 on a t-shirt. Actually in the fashion purchases thread, saw a few ppl posting jackets they purchased for over 2 grand.

Some ppl i've talked to say they work hard for their money and they deserve whatever item they are purchasing, but how do you overlook the price on a 2 grand jacket? Even if you make over 200k a year, which i think accounts for only 2% of the population, 2k is still a lot of money (at least to me)

Other say the more expensive items are of better qualify, I won't dispute that, but how much longer will a $400 hoodie last as opposed to my $60 dollar hoodie?

I'm not painting anyone in a negative light, just wanting to know how you guys go about it.

MR_BIGGS 03-11-2010 04:13 PM

Someone making $60,000 living at home has a lot of disposable income, so maybe they have some extra cash to buy these things? I like going into 'List your latest fashion purchases' thread, because some of these people have some great fashion sense and good tips to how to save cash by buying online and even going websites to purchase stuff from.

illicitstylz 03-11-2010 04:47 PM

simple.
for this forum, a good generalization would be that members prioritize spending money on car parts pretty far up the list.

People have different priorities for spending money, it's as simple and straightforward as that.

SkinnyPupp 03-11-2010 06:48 PM

Because people feel inadequate and need to compensate for it by spending a lot of money on fancy brands and trendy clothes? I heard one member say quite literally that "the clothes make the man". Well if you are that pathetic, I feel bad for you.

greendb7 03-11-2010 08:12 PM

People want to look good, or somewhat good by the clothes on their back. It just so happens that good usually means $$$

Bonka 03-11-2010 08:37 PM

If they earned their own money, they can spend it however they like.

With that in mind, I don't get fashion trends. A lot of people I know always have to wear the latest and the greatest and are constantly replacing their clothes. Don't people know how to dress themselves anymore?

filth 03-11-2010 08:38 PM

It all comes down to what you prioritize first and where your interest lies. A person might spend 2 grand on a jacket where you think is completely unjustified, but at the same time he might think your crazy for spending 2 grand on your computer. If he has an interest in fashion more than computers, then thats where he will place his money.

Greendb7, a person with a true sense of style can make themselves look great even with a low budget, thanks to brands like Zara, Banana Republic, and Gap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonka (Post 6855615)
If they earned their own money, they can spend it however they like.

With that in mind, I don't get fashion trends. A lot of people I know always have to wear the latest and the greatest and are constantly replacing their clothes. Don't people know how to dress themselves anymore?

That's why some of us do not follow trends. I've stayed close to simple quality pieces of clothing that really pay attention to detail instead of buying something thats "hot" at the moment.

Mr.Jay 03-11-2010 08:41 PM

I am with you on this one OP

I make decent money and live at home (gotta pay rent tho haha) but I could never justify to myself spending more than 100 on an article of clothing.

I understand tho people wanna look nice and shine sometimes

tacobell 03-11-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greendb7 (Post 6855582)
People want to look good, or somewhat good by the clothes on their back. It just so happens that good usually means $$$

I agree that style comes with a price, but i'm more referring to things like a hoodie and t-shirt - these aren't exactly the most fashion forward items in the industry. Assuming not everyone is a drug dealer, I just can't wrap my head around how many ppl can afford to wear this stuff on an average salary.

Harvey Specter 03-11-2010 10:36 PM

Designer vs. non Designer has been debated on this fourm before so I'm not going to start up that debate again but I will say that for some people fashion is a passion. There are people out there that will buy designer stuff just because of the brand name and to flash the logo around but people who have a passion for fashion will not only buy high end designer brands but they'll buy less known designer brands for the sake of fashion. Think of fashion as art, people spend crazy amounts of money on art and fashion is no different.

This forum has a great mix of members who buy high end designer stuff and mid to low end designer stuff but know what they're talking about. And people who buy say $300 shirts and $3000 blazers are most likely making way more than your average salary because I can't see a person even living at home making $50,000 dropping a few g's every month on clothing. It wouldn't be a smart idea.

StealthFighter 03-12-2010 12:05 AM

i don't like people that pay $200 on in-your-face branded clothes like christian audiger(don't care if spelling is right) but i have no problem with anyone spending $200 on a bespoke/mtm dress shirt. usually the in-your-face crowd are the ones who are insecure.

From American gangster: "The loudest one in the room is the weakest one in the room"

i look for clothes that don't have logos or at max have a logo that's the size of a thumbnail.

for investment pieces(usually made of wool) i am willing to pay more. e.g. sweaters, suits, coats. big fan of merino, lambswool, cashmere. but for items like t-shirt and jeans, i will find stuff that fits well but i without breaking the bank. like an american apparel t-shirt.

Zyzz 03-12-2010 11:09 AM

yes there are lots of clothing that look good on brands like energie, zara and banana republic, etc.

but they can be less concentrated than in brands such as pringle, dolce, and hermes, etc.

and i dont like wasting time shopping, therefore i only go to a few selected stores and get whatever i like and leave, because i know that every season there has to be a few items that i like. Whereas if I shop at like zara, the time will take much longer to find an item that i like. Its all about the material and cutting imo.

An item that has good cutting and good material can pretty much be worn forever.

MarkyMark 03-12-2010 12:33 PM

Buy and wear what you dig if you can afford it.

That being said it's still funny watching people go to a Canucks game dressed in an Armani suit.
Posted via RS Mobile

unit 03-12-2010 12:55 PM

can i just say that clothing that is grossly overpriced is usually the ugliest?
you couldnt pay me $200 to wear a typical $200 tshirt in public.
skulls and jewels on tshirts, bedazzled hats, big fancy graphics, etc... no thanks. i'll stick to my plain, well fitting, not overly fashion forward clothes that i know how to combine to actually look good.
even if it has a "small" designer logo on it, i still think its flashy. a designer that is confident in its designs shouldnt need to say, "oh yeah, its d&g" by sticking a metal plate logo on it.

RollingStone 03-12-2010 02:10 PM

There are a lot of benefits to spending a litttle time and money on clothes because image is very important. It means you respect yourself, your profession, and the people around you. Its also a subtle form of communication. With that said, its very possible to look stylish and professional without breaking the bank.

Brands is not analogous to style. People that shop brands are just brand whores. People with real fashion sense look for quality and style, not brands.

TRDood 03-13-2010 03:39 PM

i'm surprised that you make 60k and you don't realize how the economy works.

it is about different people's preferences.

ask yourself,
why do people drive BMWs when a sticky pedal Prius can still get you to your destination?
why do people lease cars that is worth more than their salaries?
why do people buy Volks and Advans when Rotas are still round?
why do people have fake tits when real tits are healthier?
why does Hyde put lobster in his hotpot when prawns will probably taste the same?
why does Jeffield drive a c63 when he should be in a spaceship?
now, why does Jah Gekko buy $2000 D&G jackets?

Different preferences.

by the way, without preferences, the economy will not grow. and you will not make 60k, so you will not even be able to afford $30 shirts. .
Posted via RS Mobile

bladenemesis 03-13-2010 03:39 PM

Clothes are never a bad thing to spend money on. They retain their value over time.

Unlike electronics, which become garbage in a couple of months.

tiger_handheld 03-13-2010 05:27 PM

interesting read...

Sid Vicious 03-13-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6855463)
Because people feel inadequate and need to compensate for it by spending a lot of money on fancy brands and trendy clothes? I heard one member say quite literally that "the clothes make the man". Well if you are that pathetic, I feel bad for you.

i bet you're really ugly

Not really racist! 03-13-2010 08:06 PM

^ :lol

SkinnyPupp 03-13-2010 08:26 PM

I'd take that bet actually. And his mom can be the judge! :lol

hal0g0dv2 03-13-2010 10:29 PM

i dont mind splurging on some nice clothes here and there, even no i don't go out much or dress up much, i like spending money on shoes and gym stuff since i freak there lots

shawn79 03-13-2010 11:07 PM

i wonder how much jah makes a year and what does he do

rice cooker 03-13-2010 11:12 PM

Obviously op has no fashion sense if hes makin a thread like this. Same goes to anyone who bitches about designer brand prices
Posted via RS Mobile

RevYouUp 03-14-2010 12:22 AM

"why does Hyde put lobster in his hotpot when prawns will probably taste the same?"

lmaoooo :haha: