REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-17-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Insurance / accident question

My sister rear ended someone last night, and it's an older car that took a decent amount of front end damage. She intends to pay everything out herself including the damages incurred by the other party. She has everything but collision coverage.

Anyone been in a similar situation? Will her car get written off, despite the fact that she's going pay it off herself anyways? Or do cars only get written off when you try to claim it through ICBC? (which wouldn't work in her case anyways cuz she doesn't have the coverage)
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Unless you claim it ICBC doesn't give a fuck. If you claim it then her car will most likely be written off, she'll pay her deductible, her rates will go up, others car will be fixed. Pretty dumb to pay everything out of your pocket unless it's really small.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
From what I've learnt, if you pay it off yourself without notifying ICBC then obviously ICBC will not be writing off the car, cause they're not aware of the accident. But if you report the accident to ICBC, you still have the option of paying off the accident out of your own pocket without your premium going up. I would say go through ICBC, cause if you don't go through ICBC, theres a chance that the person your sister rear ended will take the money, then turn around and call ICBC saying that your sister just rear ended his/her car.

If you are going through ICBC they will obviously pay for the damage on both cars, and her car may or may not be written off depending on how bad the accident was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Unless you claim it ICBC doesn't give a fuck. If you claim it then her car will most likely be written off, she'll pay her deductible, her rates will go up, others car will be fixed. Pretty dumb to pay everything out of your pocket unless it's really small.
Well if its under $1000 or so, it's best to pay for it, cause your CV (or whatever its called) will go up, and in the long run you will be paying extra for your insurance anyways, so it'll be smarter in the long run to pay out of your own pocket.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
I spoke to my friend's dad who owns a bodyshop and does ICBC claims all the time and he said that if she claims it, since she doesn't have collision coverage, they won't give a rats ass about her and deal only with the party that got hit
Old 03-17-2010, 07:55 PM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Actually if the other party claims injury, then you cannot "pay it off herself".

Quote:
Will her car get written off, despite the fact that she's going pay it off herself anyways?
Whether the car get written off only happens if you decide to claim AND the cost of the repair is more than the value of the car.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
Well if its under $1000 or so, it's best to pay for it, cause your CV (or whatever its called) will go up, and in the long run you will be paying extra for your insurance anyways, so it'll be smarter in the long run to pay out of your own pocket.
What i was trying to get at haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
I spoke to my friend's dad who owns a bodyshop and does ICBC claims all the time and he said that if she claims it, since she doesn't have collision coverage, they won't give a rats ass about her and deal only with the party that got hit
You're right.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
No collision coverage for herself means that in an event of an accident, ICBC will pay for the other partys damage if you are at fault, but whatever happens to your car is your business. So they wouldn't write off the car for you because her car isn't covered.

So what the bodyshop said was correct.
It's pretty much a lesson learnt, time to get a new car, and move on.

Sorry for her loss.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote