REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   HealthCare & Wellness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/healthcare-wellness_269/)
-   -   Need office snack food recommendations - constant fuel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/609192-need-office-snack-food-recommendations-constant-fuel.html)

Powerslide 03-18-2010 12:55 PM

Need office snack food recommendations - constant fuel

Looking for suggestions

Currently my job has me in the office at a desk pretty much 8 hrs of the day.
I work out 3 days a week after work and try to run 5K 1-2 times a week, so I try to get my exercise around my work schedule.

I want to know what would be good food to snack on during the day to keep blood sugar levels even and prevent insulin spikes etc.

So far I just eat a granola bar every hour and have half a sandwich for lunch (other half later in the day) but I dont think the granola bars are actually that good for me (Nature Valley, lots of sugar)

Ideas?

Tapioca 03-19-2010 02:58 PM

I'm not a nutritionist, but probably something higher in protein would do you better to keep your appetite in check. Maybe keeping a jar of unsalted nuts by your desk might do the trick?

But, if you're intent on sticking to bars, Clif bars are better than the other granola bars you've been eating.

Powerslide 03-19-2010 03:05 PM

the only thing i'd be concerned about is the high fat content of the nuts - if i'm snacking on them all day that will rack up pretty quickly

hotong 03-19-2010 03:24 PM

almonds! and protein bars.

Tapioca 03-19-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerslide (Post 6867981)
the only thing i'd be concerned about is the high fat content of the nuts - if i'm snacking on them all day that will rack up pretty quickly

Yes, but fat isn't such a bad thing as long as it's unsaturated.

Natural peanut butter (i.e. not Kraft which has preservatives) and some wheat crackers might be a good snack.

Another thing you might need to change is your breakfast. Oatmeal is probably ideal because it has a low glycemic index (which describes how sugar is released into the bloodstream.)

Inaii 03-19-2010 03:42 PM

What about raw veggies?

LemonH2O 03-19-2010 04:40 PM

My usual snacks:

all natural almonds
probiotic yogurt (full fat)
A TON of fruit (a banana and an apple each day at LEAST)
turkey pepperoni sticks
whole grain/whole wheat crackers (kashi is a good one)

penner2k 03-19-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 6868014)
Yes, but fat isn't such a bad thing as long as it's unsaturated.

Natural peanut butter (i.e. not Kraft which has preservatives) and some wheat crackers might be a good snack.

Another thing you might need to change is your breakfast. Oatmeal is probably ideal because it has a low glycemic index (which describes how sugar is released into the bloodstream.)

What is wrong with saturated fats?
The only real bad fat is trans fats..

Also the peanut butter and wheat crackers isnt that great.. typically you want to avoid mixing carbs and fats together.

And as far as worrying about snacking on almonds all day cuz the calories will add up... STOP... Whenever I snack on almonds all day I end up cutting fat. Unless you are eating lbs of them per day its not a huge deal. Grab a handful every hour or so. It might add an extra 200-400 calories per day but its good fats, protein and fiber that you are eating. Not exactly the worst thing in the world.

unit 03-19-2010 09:04 PM

you dont wanna snack on nuts all day. lots of calories from fat.
however, i usually do eat a small handful of almonds and cashews every day at work.
even a small amount is relatively filling.
raw veggies is also great but a bit of a PITA to prepare every day.

waddy41 03-19-2010 10:18 PM

i'd cut the granola bars....they are sugary

whenever i eat one...i crave another right away...

Powerslide 03-21-2010 01:33 PM

thanks for the recommendations

yep, i try to eat oatmeal every morning, keeps me going

ShadowBun 03-22-2010 10:57 PM

two words

Trail Mix

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-23-2010 07:51 AM

instant noodles!!!
:haha:

asian_XL 03-23-2010 08:47 AM

^ or mcdicks

XtC_13aBy 03-23-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6868271)
What is wrong with saturated fats?
The only real bad fat is trans fats..

Also the peanut butter and wheat crackers isnt that great.. typically you want to avoid mixing carbs and fats together.

And as far as worrying about snacking on almonds all day cuz the calories will add up... STOP... Whenever I snack on almonds all day I end up cutting fat. Unless you are eating lbs of them per day its not a huge deal. Grab a handful every hour or so. It might add an extra 200-400 calories per day but its good fats, protein and fiber that you are eating. Not exactly the worst thing in the world.

The bad fats are trans-fats AND saturated fats... Lots of health concerns come with consuming too much saturated fats.... Unsaturated fats are better than saturated.

penner2k 03-23-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC_13aBy (Post 6875220)
The bad fats are trans-fats AND saturated fats... Lots of health concerns come with consuming too much saturated fats.... Unsaturated fats are better than saturated.

consuming too much of anything is bad... hell you can die if you drink too much water..

Saturated fats have a direct relationship with hormone production.
If you wanna be a pussy with bitch tits then go ahead and cut your fat intake down to nothing. It's not the saturated fats that are causing heart disease, It's the sugars, starches and processed vegetable oils.

Article on health benefits of almonds:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...zi_nuts_to_you

tiger_handheld 03-23-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unit (Post 6868366)
you dont wanna snack on nuts all day.

haha..

Marioo1991 03-24-2010 07:37 AM

A variety is always good, this is what i snack on in the morning before lunch:
fruit (apple,orange,banana,etc)
trail mix
protein bar

SkippyLang 03-28-2010 10:03 AM

apples and almonds. keeps you awake i've found.

6793026 03-31-2010 07:46 AM

they key is to keep eating.
yes, it's hard but with good food, you can make it happen.

usually i go to yohan and i get those dim sum, i eat maybe 4-5 pieces at a time and i microwave them at work as a snack. Anything more than 5 pieces is too much and might ruin ur appetite but enough to give you some energy boost. sure beats eating nuts the whole day long.

hal0g0dv2 04-02-2010 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6875354)
consuming too much of anything is bad... hell you can die if you drink too much water..

Saturated fats have a direct relationship with hormone production.
If you wanna be a pussy with bitch tits then go ahead and cut your fat intake down to nothing. It's not the saturated fats that are causing heart disease, It's the sugars, starches and processed vegetable oils.

Article on health benefits of almonds:
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_a...zi_nuts_to_you

great article

SkinnyPupp 04-02-2010 08:23 PM

I am pleased to see some good posts going on here. :thumbsup: to Penner

waddy41 04-02-2010 08:51 PM

Yeah...I wouldn't eat dim sum as a snack...
the dumplings are wrapped with simple carbs....also the MSG is bad for you...
snacking on nuts would be healthier...

hchang 04-02-2010 11:58 PM

Usually I take Rhodiola 110.

They're caffeine pills, works amazing.

Then a healthy sub or something from Subway just so I wont get hungry.

ae101 04-04-2010 07:24 PM

fruit or juice is a really good one or protein shakes
veg sticks
hand make granola bars (if u have time the nite before)