REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-22-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

2000 Acura 1.6EL Premium or 2004 Acura RSX Premium?

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 2000 Acura EL Premium or a 2004 Acura RSX Premium.
Which car of the above mentioned cars is better for the first time car owner? Which of the above mentioned cars are more effectively tuned with aftermarket performance parts? How is the cost of ownership like for the above mentioned cars?
Advertisement

Last edited by jtang84; 03-24-2010 at 09:55 AM.
jtang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
is that base/premium or type-S? there's more aftermarket support for the rsx.

overall it's the better car but the insurance will be a lot more than the EL.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

The RSX will have more response and more aftermarket parts, even though the 2000 EL has most of the civic counterparts as well.

were you planning on getting a premium or type-s rsx? type-s's can be had for pretty cheap these days, very easy to drive stick, and great car to learn on!
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Banned (BBM)

since he did not mention S, im guessing the premium/base model

first gen is pretty cheap now, 2nd gen is a lot more rare...hence the price tag is still around $20g
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

i had this same debate. Went for an integra instead because i don't like RSX's and frankly, it has the highlights of both imo.

But if you're going with those two, based on your criteria, i would choose the RSX.

The EL is like a civic so most parts will maybe fit. But the problem is not many people buy an EL and soupe it up, so the research online is limited. The RSX on the other hand has tons of aftermarket parts available and a huge gathering on clubrsx.com where you can see others' experiences, ask questions and even buy used parts from members.

Both cars are reliable and common, so good for a first-time car owner in that sense. As for the insurance issue above, I don't agree with this at all. People told me that insurance for my Integra will be expensive when I asked the same question, but I checked for both and it was not more expensive. Even if it is more expensive, it would be by a few bucks total per year. I would stay away from the horror stories and extreme examples on this. I have a full or almost full discount on insurance and pay $2100-ish a year for comprehensive.

Lastly, what made me stray from the EL is that it looks like a civic with leather. It's a good car, but I mean...it's an overpriced civic with leather. If you're gonna pay the same money for both, I'd go for RSX. Well, I'd go for an integra lol
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

The RSX drives and looks a lot better but is more to insure. I'd go for the RSX.
RollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
the insurance really depends on whether it's type-S or not..and assuming the demographic of RS i'd say the majority of us won't have full discounts on insurance rates
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtang84 View Post
I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 2000 Acura EL or a 2004 Acura RSX.
Which car of the above mentioned cars is better for the first time car owner? Which of the above mentioned cars are more effectively tuned with aftermarket performance parts?
well i'm going to have to make a few assumptions because i've no idea what you're looking for

1. The EL will more likely than not to be a lot cheaper than the RSX to purchase, maintain, insure and buy modifications for.

2. Depending on your income level, assumption 1 can be blown out of the water completely, because the amount of money assumed to be spent may be negligible.

3. what are you buying the car for? for many obvious reasons the EL will be more practical; larger trunk, more space for occupants and four doors.

4. the rsx will respond better to mods.

so why are you comparing these two cars? is it because you saw ads for both and they're similarly priced? Honestly speaking, those two cars don't seem too out of the ordinary for a first time car owner.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
I came from an integra (previous gen of the rsx) to a 1998 premium acura 1.6EL

1- little aftermarket support and online forum/community (clubel.ca)

2- cheap to purchase, modify (all civic parts), maintain

3- great fuel economy (500km per tank until the light turns on)

4- lower insurance (4 door sedans)

5- first car will usually be in an accident (in any small or big way unfortunately since it is a first car) so better to have that on an older car
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
there was actually an EL with either a b16 or b18 engine in it, you can do a b18c swap and have one fast EL

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
since he did not mention S, im guessing the premium/base model

first gen is pretty cheap now, 2nd gen is a lot more rare...hence the price tag is still around $20g
first gen is the BETTER gen :P
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,561 Times in 455 Posts
I'm not the hugest fan of the RSX (looks wise), but yes they are nice cars, especially the type-s. I would much rather an Integra though...

I bought my EL after I wrote off my old Accord coupe. I still wanted a honda, but it needed to be a sedan since I wanted/needed to save as much on insurance as I could. Sure I could have gotten a Civic, but the EL's look a bit nicer. Parts are very easy to find. Most Civic stuff bolts right in. It's only cosmetic stuff (like lips, body kits, etc) that doesn't swap over. But for the love of god, get a manual. Took me a while to find mine, but they are out there. Same goes for the RSX for that matter!

Almost 4 years later and I've still got it. Can I afford a better car? Absolutely. But my EL's been a great car, especially after the engine swap. It's fun to drive, and I never get hassled by the cops. Cheap on insurance, and cheap to fill up. So for now, it's a great commuter car. I'll most likely keep it as my daily even when I do get a new project car.
Lowered_Klass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post
first gen is the BETTER gen :P
in ur dream that is right?

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote