REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Question about vehicle inspection

Ok i went to court and got a recognizance-peace bond , and got a few conditions on it one of them is Remove front tint of driver/passenger window at a licensed facility. Judge said i can go to RCMP office, what is the cost to go to rcmp and says i need to show certificate of compliance once its done. Whats the cheapest place to go. I do have a cracked front windshield which i cant afford to replace right now, will the place i take my car hassle me about that. The condition says just to remove tint.
Advertisement

Last edited by 03c0upe; 03-27-2010 at 12:50 PM.
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
A JP in Traffic Court told you to remove the illegal tint and take your car to the RCMP to show them you have done it....or have it inspected at a licenced facility? By the sound of things you had an outstanding notice and order...or did you have a ticket for tint/defective vehlice? What you are saying is confusing and you contradict yourself

IF you have an outstanding vehicle inspection then you must take the vehicle for a complete vehicle inspection. It will require you to have NO tint on driver & passenger windows...AND have an uncracked windshield to pass...along with whatever else is not legal. After you pass the Provincial inspection they will forward paperwork to ICBC to remove the requirement to have the vehicle inspected.

IF a Judge or JP ordered you to have the tint removed after you lost a case in court for having tinted windows...and he ordered you to take the car with the tint removed to the RCMP to prove you did remove it, then do what he said. The only other time I have heard of a Judge ordering someone to remove tint from a vehicle is when the owner is involved in gang/criminal/ drug dealin/weapons etc activity or has a history of violence. It is being done to provide safety to law enforcement.

The fact that you also have a broken windshield should also be seen by the Cop checking to see your tint removed. They may not see it, they may see it and issue you a Notice and Order to replace the windshield, they may issue you a Notice and Order for a mandatory vehicle inspection ( see above) and/or they may issue you a ticket. I tried to cover every option of your somewhat confusing request.

Last edited by zulutango; 03-25-2010 at 07:40 PM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:22 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
A JP in Traffic Court told you to remove the illegal tint and take your car to the RCMP to show them you have done it....or have it inspected at a licenced facility? By the sound of things you had an outstanding notice and order...or did you have a ticket for tint/defective vehlice? What you are saying is confusing and you contradict yourself

IF you have an outstanding vehicle inspection then you must take the vehicle for a complete vehicle inspection. It will require you to have NO tint on driver & passenger windows...AND have an uncracked windshield to pass...along with whatever else is not legal. After you pass the Provincial inspection they will forward paperwork to ICBC to remove the requirement to have the vehicle inspected.

IF a Judge or JP ordered you to have the tint removed after you lost a case in court for having tinted windows...and he ordered you to take the car with the tint removed to the RCMP to prove you did remove it, then do what he said. The only other time I have heard of a Judge ordering someone to remove tint from a vehicle is when the owner is involved in gang/criminal/ drug dealin/weapons etc activity or has a history of violence. It is being done to provide safety to law enforcement.

The fact that you also have a broken windshield should also be seen by the Cop checking to see your tint removed. They may not see it, they may see it and issue you a Notice and Order to replace the windshield, they may issue you a Notice and Order for a mandatory vehicle inspection ( see above) and/or they may issue you a ticket. I tried to cover every option of your somewhat confusing request.
i pleaded guilty and asked for a reduced fine and was told to remove the tint . i was giving a recognizance. one of my conditions was " shall remove the off front driver and passenger side. At your own cost, have the vehicle inspected at a licensed facility by April 30". Judge said take it to the RCMP office. Judge didnt say anything about full vehicle inspection just the tint. Once i go show the tinted windows are removed can the rcmp give me a ticket for a cracked windshield on the spot?
Old 03-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Yes they can. Also, the judge said to have your vehicle inspected at a licensed facility. That sounds like he just issued you a VI so you will have to fix your windshield before going to the RCMP office because your car won't pass inspection at a licensed facility with the cracked windshield and if it miraculously passes with the cracked windshield, I think the police would be paying that inspection facility a visit.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Retired Traffic Cop

This is certainly a method of dealing with the issue that I have not seen before.

Essentially, the recognizance has given you the equivalent of a #2 notice and order. You must go to a designated inspection facility and have the vehicle inspected before April 30. The difference between the usual #2 and this one is that if you don't follow it, you get arrested for breach of recognizance and could face a criminal charge. Because of the gravity of this issue, before you decide not to follow it exactly as it is written in the recognizance, I would suggest that you consult with legal counsel. Of course, if you intend to follow it, go ahead without the counsel.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
RS Peace Officer

+1 on Skidmark's observations. I have never in all my time in traffic courst, heard of this...unless it was attached to the things I mentioned above. As Skidmark said, disobey the court order at your peril.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
RS Peace Officer

"have the vehicle inspected at a licensed facility by April 30"."
This means a Provincial Inspection station, just like as if you got a VI. They are supposed to check everything from hig beam indicator lights, thru windshield defroster, all the way to your tinted windows and broken windshield.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

should have just paid the ticket LOL...
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny View Post
i had two violations on 1 ticket, officer dismissed one and judge ended up lowering one fine to 60$. so i went from $218 to $60.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
This is certainly a method of dealing with the issue that I have not seen before.

Essentially, the recognizance has given you the equivalent of a #2 notice and order. You must go to a designated inspection facility and have the vehicle inspected before April 30. The difference between the usual #2 and this one is that if you don't follow it, you get arrested for breach of recognizance and could face a criminal charge. Because of the gravity of this issue, before you decide not to follow it exactly as it is written in the recognizance, I would suggest that you consult with legal counsel. Of course, if you intend to follow it, go ahead without the counsel.
If i need to talk to a legal counsel regarding my recognizance is it free of charge?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03c0upe View Post
If i need to talk to a legal counsel regarding my recognizance is it free of charge?
Lawyers are not free.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03c0upe View Post
i had two violations on 1 ticket, officer dismissed one and judge ended up lowering one fine to 60$. so i went from $218 to $60.
and now you need a VI = $100 + pay to fix everything.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #13

Quote:
and now you need a VI = $100 + pay to fix everything.
= fml
Old 03-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Keep in mind, even though you repair everything once, you can always be issued a vi again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #15
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Are you kidding????? This is RS...where we all scream and deny worse than Jessie James when Sandra caught him with the tat freak!!! Really...what WERE you thinking??
Old 03-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #16

so 100$ is cheapest?