REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   MMA Gyms? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610017-mma-gyms.html)

aikenluu918 03-25-2010 11:04 PM

MMA Gyms?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a good mma gym for the summer. I have never had any training in the sport and would like to start kickboxing to get fit. I have fallen out of shape when i got out of high school. I checked out dynamic and was wondering if anyone had any insight on that particular gym, and if anyone has any other suggestions.

Derek_N84 03-26-2010 05:02 PM

Dynamic is a great gym, I don't go there myself but I train with a couple buddies who happen to go there. Good instruction but it's more geared towards actual MMA and BJJ than actual just stand alone muay thai/kick boxing in my opinion.

If standup is the only thing you're looking for then I recommend Kai Singthong, Iron City Muay Thai or KB1. If you're more interested in learning MMA, then I suggest Dynamic, Universal (DT location) Franco's Pankration or Posener's Pankration aka Kel Lees.

Hope that helps! Oh and remember to bring the work ethic, none of these places are going to let you slack.

aikenluu918 03-26-2010 07:41 PM

I know it wont be easy, but is there a class at dynamic just for beginners. I have no martial arts training. How are the instructors are they good at teaching?

C.Dub 03-26-2010 08:14 PM

u better condition urself right before you jump into MMA class. my instructor told me to do jiu jitsu first to improve my endurance and stamina and i did MMA after

aikenluu918 03-26-2010 08:31 PM

thanks for the tips guys =) i might look to do jiu jitsu twice a week and muay thai once. sound liek a good plan?

hkRicer 03-26-2010 08:48 PM

I know a friend that goes to Shinka in Richmond. She has no experience in any type of martial art. And she's like can kick my butt now. :thumbsup: very good instructor, thats what i heard!

PHO? 03-27-2010 02:31 PM

any places around surrey that specializes in BJJ?

aikenluu918 03-29-2010 10:26 AM

what kind of equipment are inside dynamic?

Tim Budong 03-29-2010 10:52 AM

Theres a gracie gym near broadway and main
check that out
Graice=BJJ
dont kno how good it is

143what 03-29-2010 11:33 AM

http://www.revolutionfightteam.com/

http://www.suitela.com/

FN-2199 03-29-2010 11:39 AM

I don't mean to steal the thread, but I've also been looking for a gym that teaches Brazilian Jujitsu. Any suggestions?

143what 03-29-2010 12:05 PM

dynamics, rev, and suitela all teaches jitsu. since you live in vancouver, you should check out dynamics and rev in burnaby.

ShadowBun 03-29-2010 09:10 PM

anyone know of any gyms in burnaby area?

also hows universal mixed martial arts?
I heard its ~120/month but is it any good?
im looking to get into MMA this summer with no prior knowledge of any marital arts

StaxBundlez 03-29-2010 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowBun (Post 6885399)

im looking to get into MMA this summer with no prior knowledge of any marital arts

i would recommend having a strong base in something first..

Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling..
that's jsut my opinion though..

subordinate 03-30-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaxBundlez (Post 6885736)
i would recommend having a strong base in something first..

Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling..
that's jsut my opinion though..

Good opinion, he should probably have some sort of foundation before jumping into MMA.

Not to mention, either of the choices you mentioned would probably be more cost-efficient than MMA training, while still providing you with a good dose of training.

StaxBundlez 03-30-2010 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 6885805)
Good opinion, he should probably have some sort of foundation before jumping into MMA.

Not to mention, either of the choices you mentioned would probably be more cost-efficient than MMA training, while still providing you with a good dose of training.

I've talked to guys who don't have a base in anything.. and who train in MMA...they can't really tell me anything that they've learned..
I've asked them what their base was.. and they tell me, "MMA... we do everything.."
lol
don't get me wrong.. it's fine.. i'm sure if you did it long enough you'd probably get good at it..

but..if you want to compete in amateur fights... i wouldn't..
all the good fighters have a strong foundation in a particular discipline.

choose a striking base.. and a grappling base... concentrate on those two for like a year.. at least..

If you just want to get into shape and have some fun..then sure.. by all means.. MMA is great. That's what martial arts is about.

aikenluu918 03-30-2010 08:52 AM

Does anyone have picture of the Dynamic Gym on the inside. Or does anyone know if they have things like treadmills and free weights?

143what 03-30-2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YellowBun (Post 6885399)

most MMA gyms teach jitsu, thai boxing, boxing as well.

Drk 03-30-2010 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aikenluu918 (Post 6886101)
Does anyone have picture of the Dynamic Gym on the inside. Or does anyone know if they have things like treadmills and free weights?

Dynamic on cambie isnt a very big place to begin with, no chance they have room for treadmills and stuff like that. Just an open mat with chains for hanging heavy bags.

StealthFighter 03-30-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthchilli (Post 6884359)
Theres a gracie gym near broadway and main
check that out
Graice=BJJ
dont kno how good it is

gracie barra with tim shears. i've heard mixed stories about him. some say he's a real douche, others say he's a good instructor.

i've been in there, really small and cramped as hell.

C.Dub 03-30-2010 05:56 PM

A gym in burnaby is $$$$$$$$$ bjj. google it. Very friendly atmosphere all around. Pretty cheap too. Mainly teaches BJJ but also have MMA classes. the instructor sometimes get nogueira to do seminars here or go to florida.

gabbergabber 03-31-2010 04:54 PM

Posenor Pankration, Prankration is a greek martial arts that focus on striking, wrestling and grappling. (Pretty much MMA), they also have a muay thai class, submission class, weapon class, cardio kick boxing and etc. Its a 6 month contract, and would cost around 700$~. Renfrew and Gaverely, the main instructor is a 4th degree black belt, and won over 16 kick boxing championships or something lol. When you pay for the 6 month contract, you can go to any class you want without extra payments, except for stenght and conditioning, and i think weapons.

aikenluu918 03-31-2010 09:26 PM

Does Anyone know if i need any gear when i start muay thai. and anywhere where i can get this and the approximate cost?

Mrtemp 04-01-2010 02:24 PM

I don't know about BC, but I train muay thai and mma out here in Ottawa. For most of my muay thai classes, I need 16oz boxing gloves, handwraps and a skipping rope. If you're going to do sparring down the road, you may want to get headgear, shin guards on top of mouthguard and 'banana' protector. I've had good luck getting gear on ebay, so try there. My boxing gloves were included in my signup fees.

I agree with getting a strong base in one area or discipline as well. Mine is more in stand-up so I'm still getting owned in the grappling.

gabbergabber 04-01-2010 02:34 PM

1-18oz gloves, shin guards, and a helmet. You can get some at golden arrows martial arts supply shop, they got a lot of types, ranging from 30-100$ a pair.