REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:34 PM   #1
-Stare-

Thanked 8,013 Times in 648 Posts
Arrow MMA training

Hey there guys

I was wondering if anyone know where around Burnaby or Vancouver I can go and take lessons to learn MMA (mixed martial arts) during the summer.

It would be great if theres some info (ie. site, prices, and personal experiences)

Cheers and Thanks
Advertisement
ShadowBun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Ask me about "Taking One For The Team"

i think there was a thread about this not to long ago! try searching!
Richmond69er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
-Stare-

you mean http://www.revscene.net/forums/mma-gymsi-t610017.html ?

is MMA gym also a place to learn MMA? or purely a gym in the sense it is for people that know what they are doing alrdy?
thought it was latter. correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

you cant go into your first MMA class as a newbie. youre gonna owned during training. so yes, you should go in there with already a basic feel of other martial arts thrown into there already.

I went into my first MMA class with a background in karate, judo, and wrestling. But i was so sore right after the class lol.
C.Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #5
-Stare-

So its impossible to pick up MMA without learning all the individual martial arts first?

dam.. i thought there would be MMA course for pure newbies
Old 04-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

"MMA" is not a fighting style, it's a mixture of different martial arts combined in one.

Many gyms advertise MMA training to pull people in there, but what you will find out is that majority of gyms seperate the stand up (boxing/kb/muay thai) and ground work (wrestling/nogi grappling/gi brazilian jiujitsu).

Expecting to walk into any martial arts studio as a newbie (person who hasn't trained martial arts in anything) then jumping into an "MMA" class is unrealistic.

Dynamic MMA: www.dynamicmma.com

1 free week, unlimited training for kickboxing and the bjj classes. There are MMA specific classes but are only for the amateur and pro fighters in the gym. You can also get in the classes if the instructors feel like you can hang.

You will not learn very much in 1 summer (2-3 months). You will get your bearings and that's about it. Especially if you're looking to learn grappling.

It will also depend on your athletic abilities, and your agility/mobility, and your ability to learn to move. Learning to throw a punch or kick is more than just cocking your fist back and throwing it forward.

Good luck
Old 04-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

going to an mma gym without a base: you will become decent. a jack of all trades since you'll be learning bits from every art. but you'll never become good at just one thing.

say you train at mma gym for 5 years. if you go into a ADCC tournament, you will get destroyed because you aren't good enough in submission grappling.

assuming both of you train equally as hard and are both about the same skill level. with your 5 years of mma, a guy with 4 years spent training at muay thai and jiujitsu who then spends 1 year at mma will most likely tool you. he will have a strong base at stand up and kickboxing. the 1 year of mma was just the glue to let the fighter be more well rounded.

if you're looking to compete. don't go into just mma. you gotta take separate arts at the same time and then use mma to be more complete. like getting use to the smaller gloves or learning to ground and pound.

almost all top level mma guys have a base in something. the best are the ones that can transition their base into mma. some guys can't transition that well even though they are the most elite in their arts. like ricardo arona
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFighter View Post
going to an mma gym without a base: you will become decent. a jack of all trades since you'll be learning bits from every art. but you'll never become good at just one thing.

say you train at mma gym for 5 years. if you go into a ADCC tournament, you will get destroyed because you aren't good enough in submission grappling.

assuming both of you train equally as hard and are both about the same skill level. with your 5 years of mma, a guy with 4 years spent training at muay thai and jiujitsu who then spends 1 year at mma will most likely tool you. he will have a strong base at stand up and kickboxing. the 1 year of mma was just the glue to let the fighter be more well rounded.

if you're looking to compete. don't go into just mma. you gotta take separate arts at the same time and then use mma to be more complete. like getting use to the smaller gloves or learning to ground and pound.

almost all top level mma guys have a base in something. the best are the ones that can transition their base into mma. some guys can't transition that well even though they are the most elite in their arts. like ricardo arona

Theres nothing wrong with just going straight into MMA training with no prior martial arts experience, aside from the fact that your physical strength and conditioning wont be up to par.

98% of guys who take part dont have the physical/mental abilities to have a succesfull career anyways, so mentioning about competing in elite grappling tournaments like Abu Dabi to an absolute beginner is a moot point.

Arona is one of the top reps to ever come into MMA from BJJ, so saying that he wasnt successful is a foolish statement. He could easily come back into MMA and dominate the majority of 205 guys, especially if he came back into a promotion that uses the cage. You think GSP has an explosive double leg? lol Have a look at that guys mma career.
Old 04-04-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i don't know if you actually train or not, but ADCC isn't just the main tournament where you see jacare grappling with garcia. Canada has it's own ADCC tournament. if that wasn't a good enough example. how about pan-am championships? still too high up? fine, the tiger balm tournament they have in north vancouver.

arona forgets basic things in mma that's illegal in no gi grappling. like hooking the opponents leg when someone posture up/stacks up on you in a triangle to prevent being powerbombed.

Quote:
No slamming allowed. Illegal slamming will be defined as slamming your opponent to escape submissions and/or to pass the guard; or standing from the guard and/or jumping from a standing position to slam your opponent. Slamming will result in an automatic DQ. There are no exceptions to this rule. Takedowns are NOT considered slams, but you must deliver your opponent safely to the mat.
or how about rolles gracie turtling in his fight. it works in submission grappling to prevent being pinned and submitted, but doesn't work very well in mma.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Here's one that I know of, a lot of my friends, guys and girls have gone to this one, and have enjoyed their experiences. Most of them are still doing it.

It's located in the Ironwood plaza in Richmond
http://www.richmondmma.ca/index.php
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
RS Lurker, I don't post!

dynamic mma.
Soukoden2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #12
-Stare-

Yea as someone mentioned im not really planning to go pro or whatever

I just want to learn it to improve my personal strength and endurance
gym isnt really cutting it for me no more. I tried one of these endurance competition lately and I was destroyed.

My summer is from May to Sept.
so roughly 4 months. So I won't even get the basics as someone mentioned?

also what if you go from MMA -> specialize later?