REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Driving impression of E92 M3 Vert

This past weekend, my buddy let me borrow his E92 M3 Vert. This is my impression of the car;

Power - to be frank, off the line it felt extremely soft and weak. No real power until 2500rpms. My 550i is faster from 0-30mph. Once the revs build past 3K, the motor pulls pretty strongly, but still seems pretty weak for a 414hp car. The extra weight from the hardtop really makes this M3 sluggish. I was really disappointed with the acceleration Vs a coupe/sedan. I guess you cannot expect too much from a high revving 4L motor mated to a 4000lbs car.

Handling/Steering - at 6/10s the car felt amazingly planted and turn in was super direct. At 8/10s, the car felt like a pig, you can feel the understeer and sheer weight being thrown into a turn.

Chassis - still can feel the windshield frame shake over bumps. I thought the E92 chassis would be strong enough to elimnate this. The hardtop is too kool though, however, with the amount of moving parts, I would be scared to own this thing in 5yrs.

Looks - the car looks pretty sexy. This is definitely not I car you can pick your nose in, gets allot of attention from young boys and girls.

Sound - even stock it sounds really aggressive, got love a high revving short stroke V8.

Tranny - the 7sp dual clutch is lighthing fast, but is boring as hell. 6sp manual all the way!

Overall, the car costs $98K before taxes. Very nice car imo, but not worth $98K. My buddy and I both thought the M3 was a very kool car, but for our wives. Not a true guy's performance car.

I love bimmers, but this one really let me down. If you want a convertible get a 335i with a Dinan tune and call it a day.
Advertisement
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Perhaps try the e92 next time?

The e93 is known to be a bit soft and heavy.
Posted via RS Mobile
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,336 Times in 198 Posts
if i remember correctly the e93 weights more than the m5 if not very close

also yeah i saw a lot of girls driving the e9x m3 nowadys... its turning into a chicks car
Zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,782 Times in 977 Posts
There's just something about the shape of the roof line on the e93s that throws me off. the coupes look so much better.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

e92 vert??!?! does it exist?
rooster328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
There's just something about the shape of the roof line on the e93s that throws me off. the coupes look so much better.
QFT. the e93 looks weiiiirrrddd compared to the e92...

also heard that the Getrag 7spd DCT ain't that great either. lurches when downshifting at low speeds. if you're gonna get an M3, better stick to a manual like a true man should
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

DuhDang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Most of your opinion is so true except that I still find it sluggish above 3000rpm (that's with 6 speed vert). I thought the car is slow-ish compare to my SMG vert. That's why my wife drives the SMG and I'm back into the SUV.
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote