REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 04-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
MB 3.5L V6 motors and oil

Are the current lineup of 3.5L motors found in MB's known to burn oil? My mother said her GLK's dash said it was low on oil. I was surprised to even find a dip stick in there as most of the newer euro cars I've seen don't even have one. I was even more suprised to find I had to add 2L of oil in there to get the oil back to the middle mark on the dipstick, the car takes 8L. I didn't notice any leaks in our garage and I took a quick visual under the car and didn't see any leaks coming from the drain bolt. Are these motors known to burn oil? The car has around 7k kms on it and is used mostly for short trips.
Advertisement
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Despite technology, id say oil consumption is more of an issue than its ever been before. More cars lately seem to be burning oil more than ever before. I guess since the envelope has been pushed power outputs have never been higher than before something had to give.

I would top it off, and bring it into the dealership for an oil consumption test. Basically they will change the oil make sure its full, then get you to come back after X amount of kilometers. If its below a certain level they may replace the entire long block assembly.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

with todays technology, some car companies decided to eliminate the dipstick. I know BMW stopped using them, and i guess same with MB. My C320 doesnt have a dipstick. Since the car is still new and under warrenty i would ask the dealer to inspect it. Not particularly with MB but car companies that rely on a oil sensor to determine the level have faulty sensors. You could also try adding 1 quart (when the car is 1 quart low, thats when the sensor is triggered) and if it the low oil warning goes away then you're clear. Oil consumption is oil on most cars (especially if you drive them hard). I find that if you're burning more than 1L of oil in a couple thousand kms then there is some problem. Best of luck.
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

What kind oils did you use? Did you use MB 229.5 approval oils in your cars? Try Motul, Total or Lubro Moly. It should be burn less.
vwaudi34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

The cars burn oil. I always have to top up my C230. It burns about 1.5L between oil changes (15000km for my year). It's well known, and perfectly normal. If you don't see a leak in the garage, then just top it up.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I drive me CLK 3.2 fair speed limit friendly, and she burns about a quart every 12000 kms or so....I should really start changing my oil at the 9000km mark; but getting lazy. Motul Oil 8100 here..
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote