REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
RS5 confirmed for US!

Quote:

Audi is engaging BMW in a thrilling fight over who can make the sportiest premium cars, and the RS models are an important cornerstone in this strategy. Targeting BMW's legendary M line, Audi's RS family currently includes the 340-hp TT RS with its turbocharged straight-five and the 580-hp RS6, which packs a twin-turbo V-10 into either a sedan or wagon body. But alas, no RS model is currently sold in the U.S., and the brand's utterly enjoyable S models are simply outgunned by the M models and the Mercedes-Benz AMG line.

With the RS5, the wait is finally over. Audi CEO Rupert Stadler tells us that the upcoming coupe, powered by a naturally aspirated, 450-hp V-8, is U.S.-bound. That's very good news not only for Audi aficionados, but for anyone shopping in this segment. The RS5's most direct competitors will be the two-door versions of the 414-hp BMW M3 and the 556-hp Cadillac CTS-V, both bringing rear-wheel drive against the Audi's Quattro all-wheel-drive system. Mercedes-Benz is abandoning the segment, with no planned AMG version of its new C-class-based but E-class-badged coupe. Interestingly, Audi is sticking to its extremely high-revving engine, an evolution of the former RS4 and current R8 unit, while BMW M and Mercedes-AMG are on the verge of switching to turbocharged engines.

For a while, it seemed like the RS models wouldn't return to the U.S. market. We were told that costly certification requirements and a limited market made it difficult to justify a business case. While that may have been so, some of the most loyal Audi customers were left without a suitable in-house replacement for their beloved RS6s or RS4s, the previous generations of which were sold here. The absence of RS models in a market niche bristling with offers from key competitors made it increasingly difficult for Audi to claim that it is indeed the sportiest of luxury brands.

Stadler had no word yet on pricing, but we expect the new RS5 to be positioned close to the BMW M3. Money aside, we’ll get behind the wheel shortly and report on how well it stacks up agains the benchmark Bimmer.
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car..._u.s.-car_news

i'm surprised they say it'll be priced close to the M3. I thought it'd cost more. It better come to Canada!
Advertisement
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
awesome

id like to see the sportback here too! :/
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
competition = cheaper M3's?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

their S5 is price in between BMW 335i & M3
assume the RS5 will be more expansive than M3.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

It's about time!
autocouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
competition = cheaper M3's?
Sure hope so.

That things pretty sexy!