REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Wheel poke illegal ? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610825-wheel-poke-illegal.html)

G-spec 04-02-2010 09:01 PM

Wheel poke illegal ?

I can't imagine why this would be illegal, but I just have to know.... are there any rules in the lawbooks that say wheels poking out past the fender like this are illegal ?? reason I'm asking is because I am somewhat familiar with a law where you can't have your tires come out past the fender because it's not cool flinging rocks and mud behind you into other cars... this is mostly for huge pick up trucks that need mudflaps and shit like that....

keep in mind that the tires or the rims do NOT rub or come in contact with any of the body parts at any time, even at full suspension compression and full lock turn left or right...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...G/b1d23940.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...G/068502bc.jpg

lowside67 04-02-2010 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6892222)
I am somewhat familiar with a law where you can't have your tires come out past the fender because it's not cool flinging rocks and mud behind you into other cars...

Your tires come way out past the fender...

johny 04-02-2010 10:09 PM

looks like your rims are way too wide for those tires...

G-spec 04-02-2010 10:26 PM

true true, a good part of the tire is out past the fender I agree you got me on that...

I'm trying to go fully street legal and compliant, I just put my front plate on and no front tint, I don't wanna deal with cops anymore getting pulled over every weekend almost.... I'm trying to be fully legal and not give them any reason to pull me over except for speeding, which isn't a problem for me anyway because I drive like a granny

but now thinking just at the possibility of them dictating to me how low I have my car and how I fit my wheels, just thinking about it is making my blood boil..... this would push me over the edge right past that line of where enough is enough if ya know what I'm saying.

I will lose it if I get pulled over by some rookie cop who tells me "I pulled you over because your wheels are crooked"

TypeRNammer 04-02-2010 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6892352)
true true, a good part of the tire is out past the fender I agree you got me on that...

I'm trying to go fully street legal and compliant, I just put my front plate on and no front tint, I don't wanna deal with cops anymore getting pulled over every weekend almost.... I'm trying to be fully legal and not give them any reason to pull me over except for speeding, which isn't a problem for me anyway because I drive like a granny

but now thinking just at the possibility of them dictating to me how low I have my car and how I fit my wheels, just thinking about it is making my blood boil..... this would push me over the edge right past that line of where enough is enough if ya know what I'm saying.

I will fckin lose it if I get pulled over by some rookie cop who tells me "I pulled you over because your wheels are crooked"

If you turn your steering all the way to the left or right and it looks like barely touching the fender, gonna get VI'd for that for sure.

G-spec 04-02-2010 11:04 PM

^ yo Nam, is that a typical procedure thing that the cop will ask you to do when he pulls you over ?

!Aznboi128 04-02-2010 11:05 PM

^ ya, he should know he just got towed :(

They pulled me over and asked the same thing but I was dismissed with a warning for a burnt out fused for the drl :) got that replaced and raised my car 1/2 inch and now no problems :)

sho_bc 04-02-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

I will fckin lose it if I get pulled over by some rookie cop who tells me "I pulled you over because your wheels are crooked"

I'm not a rookie cop (though compared to some, I would be) and I would box 2 your vehicle at minimum. And you could "lose it" all you wanted.

G-spec 04-02-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6892431)
I'm not a rookie cop (though compared to some, I would be) and I would box 2 your vehicle at minimum. And you could "lose it" all you wanted.

whats box 2 ? and this is a minimum ? then what is a maximum? what are these boxes you speak of ? talk to me copper, tell me more...

I'm trying to arm myself with as much info as possible.... oh and uhh... any cop with his own interpretation of a certain law is a rook in my book, and I keep running into these types which is causing me some problems, which further in turn is the reason for this whole thread..
And relax a little, your utility belt must be on too tight, what I meant by lose it was that my head will explode from disbelief because of all your commie rules and laws, I'm sure there's more important things to do then waste tax payer money on catching guys who have the wrong ride height....

gotdang Nam, you got towed ?? for what, for being too low ?? what happened exactly ?? did they even flatbed you ??

TypeRNammer 04-02-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6892414)
^ yo Nam, is that a typical procedure thing that the cop will ask you to do when he pulls you over ?

He'll do everything from sticking fingers into wheel wells to sticking his whole head under the car.

There was no point of me arguing with the cop cause I told him how the car was setup and stuff and he wouldn't budge.

Derek128 04-02-2010 11:41 PM

time for wide fender

G-spec 04-02-2010 11:43 PM

so Nam then what happened ? whats the full story ?? u get VI, what did u have to do to your car, raise it back up ?? etc....

I totally understand what you mean though, I mean it is absolutely pointless talking back and arguing, it gets you nowhere, most if not all traffic officers are a nightmare to reason with...... I'm the same though I actually try to talk as little as possible, but it turns out they don't like that either, last time I got pulled over not only did the cop call me a drug dealer, he was also bitching at me for not answering his questions properly...... and these were personal questions that had nothing to do with the window tint he pulled me over for in the first place.... now I'm no lawyer, but I'm smart enough to know I don't have to answer those

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek128 (Post 6892484)
time for wide fender

or air suspension, then I can just raise my car at the touch of a button whenever I pass through road blocks..... I'm actually seriously considering air suspension for real though, it's really handy for slammed cars you can get into places you otherwise wouldn't be able to

TypeRNammer 04-03-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6892487)
so Nam then what happened ? whats the full story ?? u get VI, what did u have to do to your car, raise it back up ?? etc....

-Was on no 5 rd. making a right onto williams
-Encountered a road block
-Was told to step out car right away
-Pointed out car was too low and pointed at my tires, claiming it rubs.
-Was handed an immediate VI'd and tow
-Towing it costed me 150 bucks, just for two blocks!

In order to pass the VI, I have to raise it up an inch, put on factory wheels, and factory steering wheel.

skidmark 04-03-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

but now thinking just at the possibility of them dictating to me how low I have my car and how I fit my wheels, just thinking about it is making my blood boil.....

The police are only the visible portion of the system. The government is dictating to you have your vehicle must be kept and the police are employed by the government to insure that the rules are followed.

It is up to you to make sure that any mods are within the law, and if you choose to do something else, you also choose to accept what comes. If you don't like the law, change the law. Ignoring it and then whining when you run into trouble is not the answer.

Think about it for a minute. If you see a vehicle being driven down the road that has visibly different camber than everyone else and know that there are rules for wheel alignment, what would you do?

skidmark 04-03-2010 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6892465)
whats box 2 ?

A box 2 is a VI.

skidmark 04-03-2010 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6892465)
I'm sure there's more important things to do then waste tax payer money on catching guys who have the wrong ride height....

Until you realize that you have more chance of being killed, injured or suffering significant financial loss through the operation of your vehicle than you do from all the other criminal offences, that is.

The wrong ride height is an indication that there might be something else not right too. Something not right can lead to collisions....

G-spec 04-03-2010 08:08 AM

^ thanks for the reply skid, I don't want to come off the wrong way with this thread, yea I'm very annoyed at the fact that I may be getting pulled over for something so insignificant and loosely based.
But the point of this thread is for me to find out exactly what the rules are so I can conform to them and NOT get hassled by the cops that's all I want, I've had enough cops to last me a lifetime, I don't want any more problems. I just went to court last week and had a good talk to an experienced traffic officer who's written out over 5000 tickets and discussed my car with him, he gave me a lot of pointers on how NOT to get pulled over and what's acceptable, things like front plate locations, tint, etc..... I just never got around to discussing ride height and wheel stance with him, it's what I'm trying to do here with you police guys on the forum.

So Nam sorry to hear about what happened man, I guess I gotta find out about that 56cm headlight height limit, and I know about the lowest part of the kit can't go below the wheels, etc... I also know about the rubbing tires is a no go, now from what I've measured I pass all those tests, nothing rubs, and thanks to my headlights being at the very top of my hood I pass the height test, I should be good to go....
I'm just worried I will still get hassled because the car is gonna look super low at the end of the day, giving it the appearance of being illegal....

I know it's useless even if you're right, to try and tell the police officer you're fully legal, so I'm thinking if I get hassled just keep my mouth shut, take the VI and go pass it, because unless there are any extra rules from what I've read on here, I pass all these without a problem.

Quicksilver 04-03-2010 08:48 AM

^^^ except that your tires still protrude past your fenders

skidmark 04-03-2010 09:16 AM

If you look along the body of your vehicle, you must not see any exposed tire tread.

Front wheel alignment rules:

Reject if:

a) Front wheels
i) caster i) not within manufacturer's tolerance
ii) camber ii) not within manufacturer's tolerance
iii) toe iii) not within manufacturer's
tolerance
iv) SAI iv) exceeds manufacturer's tolerance or
the difference between right and left
exceeds 0.5°
v) included angle v) difference between right and left
exceeds 0.5° or manufacturer's
specifications
vi) total toe vi) not within manufacturer's tolerance
vii) set back vii) exceeds 0.5° or manufacturer's
specifications
viii) turning angle viii) exceeds 5° right to left or
manufacturer's specifications

XtC-604 04-03-2010 09:31 AM

are your eyelids and headlight tint not illegal? i thought you couldn't mess with the light output of your headlights

lowside67 04-03-2010 11:02 AM

No they are definitely both 100% illegal.

Stretched tires are much more susceptible to losing the bead; your ride height is so low that your car is extremely sensitive to bump steer; your ridiculous camber settings make the car less capable under braking. You cant possibly be so surprised that a car that is so blatantly and brutally illegal is going to be more likely to be nabbed for a VI.

G-spec 04-03-2010 02:20 PM

thanks for the responses officers, much appreciated!

guys that's not my car in those pics, it's my buddy's car... my car is the white one in the pics below...
But I'm getting a new set of wheels very soon and I'm going to have the exact same wheel stance as my buddy.... if you look at my pics below I'm already pretty low now and I'm actually already poking with my current wheel setup which has a chrome lip so it's super flashy......
so from what everyone seems to be telling me I should have been pulled VI'd plenty of times already with my current setup..... good news for me is that my new wheels are gonna have a gloss black lip, so it's gonna look very subtle and nowhere near as flashy...
I'm starting to like my chances more now, because I've been pulled over close to a dozen times with my current setup, and not one officer questioned my ride height or why my wheels poke out

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...4/Skyline2.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/IMG_0173.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...e/IMG_9607.jpg

TypeRNammer 04-03-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6893154)
I'm starting to like my chances more now, because I've been pulled over close to a dozen times with my current setup, and not one officer questioned my ride height or why my wheels poke out

Same here, I've been pulled over countless times also, I've been questioned about the modifications on my car. I've explained to them how it's setup and stuff.

But going through a road block AND pulled over by traffic cop, he didn't seem convinced my car was safe so pretty much GG from there.

Soundy 04-04-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adon (Post 6892222)
I can't imagine why this would be illegal, but I just have to know.... are there any rules in the lawbooks that say wheels poking out past the fender like this are illegal ?? reason I'm asking is because I am somewhat familiar with a law where you can't have your tires come out past the fender because it's not cool flinging rocks and mud behind you into other cars... this is mostly for huge pick up trucks that need mudflaps and shit like that....

keep in mind that the tires or the rims do NOT rub or come in contact with any of the body parts at any time, even at full suspension compression and full lock turn left or right...

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...G/b1d23940.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/f...G/068502bc.jpg

Nasty camber there. Ghetto spring-cutting lowering, or just too cheap for a camber kit?

G-spec 04-08-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundy (Post 6894773)
Nasty camber there. Ghetto spring-cutting lowering, or just too cheap for a camber kit?

The guy has a front camber kit that cost him $450, rear camber kit was about $150... no cut springs here, try Universal Air Suspension, retail $3 grand, not to mention the custom 3 piece wheels which retail between 4k and 6k depending on your specs.