REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
No Titles Given

GM engineers develop new catalytic converter

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...cheaper-cars/1
Advertisement
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-13-2010, 07:20 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

If you're wondering why you got failed, it's probably because you made zero effort in creating your thread... at least quote the damn article or parts of it if you're going to make a thread!

You linked to the fucking index with 10 different articles on it.....
moomooCow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
You should know more than most people (Judging by how many years you've been here) that the majority of RS'ers are lazy. One click is just sometimes one click too many. Plus, I don't even see the article in that link...
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Here it is for all the lazy people:
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...cheaper-cars/1
Quote:
Imagine a fuel-efficient, clean-burning diesel engine that costs $1,000 to $5,000 less than those built today. That's the possibility raised by research published this week in the journal Science, from chemical engineers at GM who've found a way to substitute a cheap mineral for wedding-ring-quality metals in catalytic converters.

The GM chemists found a way to use a mineral called perovskite, doped with strontium, in place of the expensive precious metals. It's something of a holy grail in the industry, which many groups have been working on for the past 15 years. While the GM scientists were focusing on diesel engines, their technology should also work in gasoline engines.

"It's an order of magnitude cheaper," says Chang Hwan Kim, a chemical engineer at GM's technology center in Warren, Mich. and the senior author on the paper.

"It's a really significant step forward," says Charles Peden, a chemist and director of the Institute for Interfacial Catalysis at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, Wash. "The high cost of platinum is really causing problems for these new emissions control technologies."

Getting cars today to be both fuel efficient and low-emission is a difficult trade-off.

To make a car fuel efficient, you want to get a mix of air and fuel that burns as much of the fuel as possible. But to put out few pollutants, the current catalyst technology requires that not all the fuel is burned. "The catalytic converter doesn't work if it doesn't have enough unburnt fuel," says Peden.

The catalytic converter changes the smog-creating chemicals nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide put out by the engine into harmless nitrogen.

To cut down on smog car companies began adding catalytic converters to their products in the 1970s. Those catalytic converters used precious metals such as platinum, palladium and rhodium as catalysts, to speed up the conversion of the nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide into plain nitrogen. It's this technology that's decreased air pollution from cars tremendously over the past 15 years. But it's also raised their price.

Newer catalytic converters require less unburnt fuel to work, but in order to do so they require a lot more platinum or other precious metals. And with prices going up, that's been a huge headache for auto manufacturers.

"There are still a few things we have to work on to develop this as a commercial product, but we were very excited," says Kim.
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:

Imagine a fuel-efficient, clean-burning diesel engine that costs $1,000 to $5,000 less than those built today. That's the possibility raised by research published this week in the journal Science, from chemical engineers at GM who've found a way to substitute a cheap mineral for wedding-ring-quality metals in catalytic converters.

The GM chemists found a way to use a mineral called perovskite, doped with strontium, in place of the expensive precious metals. It's something of a holy grail in the industry, which many groups have been working on for the past 15 years. While the GM scientists were focusing on diesel engines, their technology should also work in gasoline engines.

"It's an order of magnitude cheaper," says Chang Hwan Kim, a chemical engineer at GM's technology center in Warren, Mich. and the senior author on the paper.

"It's a really significant step forward," says Charles Peden, a chemist and director of the Institute for Interfacial Catalysis at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Richland, Wash. "The high cost of platinum is really causing problems for these new emissions control technologies."

Getting cars today to be both fuel efficient and low-emission is a difficult trade-off.

To make a car fuel efficient, you want to get a mix of air and fuel that burns as much of the fuel as possible. But to put out few pollutants, the current catalyst technology requires that not all the fuel is burned. "The catalytic converter doesn't work if it doesn't have enough unburnt fuel," says Peden.

The catalytic converter changes the smog-creating chemicals nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide put out by the engine into harmless nitrogen.

To cut down on smog car companies began adding catalytic converters to their products in the 1970s. Those catalytic converters used precious metals such as platinum, palladium and rhodium as catalysts, to speed up the conversion of the nitrogen oxide and nitrogen dioxide into plain nitrogen. It's this technology that's decreased air pollution from cars tremendously over the past 15 years. But it's also raised their price.

Newer catalytic converters require less unburnt fuel to work, but in order to do so they require a lot more platinum or other precious metals. And with prices going up, that's been a huge headache for auto manufacturers.

"There are still a few things we have to work on to develop this as a commercial product, but we were very excited," says Kim.

By Elizabeth Weise
lazy op

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...recious+metals
versep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
well that's your first 2 fails after 1,458 posts O.o
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

This is why GM is failing. While everyone is releasing better electric products than them... they are still fucking around with gas/diesel.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
This is why GM is failing. While everyone is releasing better electric products than them... they are still fucking around with gas/diesel.
hey i dont mind at all

i love my gas burning engines.
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,402 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post
hey i dont mind at all

i love my gas burning engines.
... And you probably run a test pipe.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
... And you probably run a test pipe.
i actually have high flow cats
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Forget about the Chevy Volt?

Not to mention that every single hybrid on the road today has a gasoline or diesel engine. Wow, how stupid can someone be to make the gas/diesel half of your hybrid cleaner. The nerve of them.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote