REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Question for any police officers

My friend and I were talking tonight because he got a speeding ticket. I told him if he wants he can dispute it, according to him 6 months ago there was something pass that made it mandatory for police officers to attend dispute hearings. Just wondering if any officer or anyone could chime in.

Thanks in advance
Advertisement
fuhkyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,341 Times in 557 Posts
not an officer, but at my hearing just a few weeks ago there was a cop that didn't show up... if that answers your question
PiuYi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

It's not mandatory for them to show up, but if they don't, then the ticket gets thrown out. Before, officers go on their days off and get paid OT (I believe), but now they try to schedule court dates while officer is on duty so they are obliged to show up. Also, they group officer's tickets together in one court date to minimize the disruption to the officer's regular duties. However, if they are called away for a situation or are taking an emergency call, that will take priority over the court case. Hope that clears it up.

I know because I disputed a ticket and the officer admitted he was wrong, but he told me to show up to court to make sure he is actually there before I leave. He wanted to make sure that I was there to plead not guilty in case he couldn't guarantee that he would make it (due to possibly being called away for an emergency or something). Luckily for me, he made it and we shook hands and he said he'd plead no contest on my behalf and that I can go home.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
It's not mandatory for them to show up, but if they don't, then the ticket gets thrown out. Before, officers go on their days off and get paid OT (I believe), but now they try to schedule court dates while officer is on duty so they are obliged to show up. Also, they group officer's tickets together in one court date to minimize the disruption to the officer's regular duties. However, if they are called away for a situation or are taking an emergency call, that will take priority over the court case. Hope that clears it up.
Exactly that. We are expected (by our bosses and by the JJPs) to attend any court dates, including traffic court. For traffic court, if the officer who issued the ticket, or someone to prosecute on his/her behalf is not in attendance, then the ticket is withdrawn with no convictions. If the person who was issued the ticket doesn't show up, they are convicted of the offence(s) listed on the ticket.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote