REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   Help with very immature young male (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611898-help-very-immature-young-male.html)

vafanculo 04-15-2010 01:29 PM

Help with very immature young male

So I know a 20 year old who is very immature. Not in the silly type sense, but more in the sense he lacks life skills. As in doesn't know value of money (for example, if you give him $100 he might think it's enough to buy a car, or that $1,000,000 can only buy you a handful of game consoles).

His math is about the level of a grade 5 kid at best. Works at a fast food chain and always gets in trouble for giving incorrect change. Also shows no signs of ambition, and generally you have to tell him to do things, or baby him in every step.

I've tried teaching him but usually goes in one ear out the other.

Is there any type of course or programs to give his head a shake and wake up?

Also it's not diagnosed but I'm pretty sure he may have dyslexia (sp?).

Any advice is appreciated.
Posted via RS Mobile

liu13 04-15-2010 01:30 PM

you sure he's not just tarded and or stoned?

JSALES 04-15-2010 01:48 PM

how was he able to graduate high school if he can't even do simple math?

vafanculo 04-15-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSALES (Post 6907867)
how was he able to graduate high school if he can't even do simple math?

I've asked this question numerous times. My guess is he took all the dumbed down version of courses
Posted via RS Mobile

distanc3 04-15-2010 01:58 PM

He should work in a trade where he can learn as he go where there can be a mentor to coach him. He'll learn and hes probably sheltered most of his teenage life, that or hes just born a tard.

JSALES 04-15-2010 02:08 PM

maybe he can go to an adult education centre and take some high school courses like grade 8 math

6793026 04-15-2010 03:56 PM

just cause i grad from university doesn't mean i can do Grade 12 algerba and sin cos tan again.

are you dating this loser? and you want him to change? ... good luck with that. Remember, we are so prone to, "you need to learn this because you failed at this and it'll help you become a better person" Some people don't take this type of teaching styles that well.

If the approach doesn't work, try another method.

raygunpk 04-15-2010 04:03 PM

sounds like a learning disability more than immaturity.

XtC-604 04-15-2010 04:09 PM

straight up, he's retarded. No hope.

babykiller 04-15-2010 04:17 PM

Get him to sign up for the military. Not joking.

vafanculo 04-15-2010 04:18 PM

Nono I'm not dating the fucking guy, I married into his family and want to help him.

Yea it most likely is a learning disability. It's frustrating cause he's an alright guy, looks normal etc. But is just years behind where he should be by this age. I worry about him moving on in his career and eventually taking care of himself should he require to move out.

Guess I'm not too sure what I'm looking for. It's hard cause he's not really disabled and he functions normally, it's just him being slow.
Posted via RS Mobile

vafanculo 04-15-2010 04:20 PM

Ya considered the army but that's not an option.
Posted via RS Mobile

BD2002 04-15-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6908066)
straight up, he's retarded. No hope.

This.

Also the military thing.

bcrdukes 04-15-2010 04:58 PM

Has he always been like this? And is he the youngest in the family? Let me guess, Asian?

Chances are, if he's just a spoiled twat, he won't listen to you because you married into the family. Have his siblings and parents have a chat with him.

But otherwise, I was thinking that this is very normal for guys in their early 20s. That, or I simply have no hope for humanity. :D

asian_XL 04-15-2010 06:33 PM

tell us how mature you are, vafanculo?

probably ask bf to buy expensive handbags, lie to your parents that you are staying at your best friend's place but actually you are fucking some random guys, gossip with some bitches till 4 in the morning, earning minimum wage at safe-on-food, no saving plan and ranting on RS about your bf.

vafanculo 04-15-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 6908294)

probably ask bf to buy expensive handbags, lie to your parents that you are staying at your best friend's place but actually you are fucking some random guys, gossip with some bitches till 4 in the morning, earning minimum wage at safe-on-food, no saving plan and ranting on RS about your bf.

Are you a fucking retard?
Posted via RS Mobile

RollingStone 04-15-2010 07:55 PM

He's only 20 years old. Leave him alone. Life is the best teacher, and he will "get it" sooner or later. You can't help him, only he can help himself and at his own pace.

miss_crayon 04-15-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quatchi (Post 6908538)
He's only 20 years old. Leave him alone. Life is the best teacher, and he will "get it" sooner or later. You can't help him, only he can help himself and at his own pace.

Actually, a lot of people think this is the best way to deal with this type of situation..but if he doesn't have anyone tell him what he's doing is wrong..he's never going to learn and think this is fine (doing what he's doing). Some people simply have no motivation in life and usually it's not because he's just "young" but they don't feel like it'll matter since he has no support/or real mind set. I mean, yeah there are the rare few would gain "self discovery" but it seems like this guy just needs a push in the right direction.

asian_XL 04-15-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vafanculo (Post 6908534)
Are you a fucking retard?
Posted via RS Mobile

very immature by calling people retarded.

btw I fail to see a person who is 20 working at mcdick shows no signs of ambition. At least he is not a bum sitting at home doing nothing.

if you point out he sucks at math and that bothers you, what's the reason why you rant on RS, just dump his ass and leave us alone. :haha:

SumAznGuy 04-15-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 6908294)

The fail is because save-on-food pays higher than minimum wage, and being union, you get benefits like dental perscriptions and glasses (I believe)

hsh4 04-15-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by babykiller (Post 6908078)
Get him to sign up for the military. Not joking.

if he goes into the military im just afraid he would get charged for shooting his own guy before even getting deployed

flagella 04-15-2010 09:37 PM

LOL

vafanculo 04-15-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asian_XL (Post 6908684)
very immature by calling people retarded.

btw I fail to see a person who is 20 working at mcdick shows no signs of ambition. At least he is not a bum sitting at home doing nothing.

if you point out he sucks at math and that bothers you, what's the reason why you rant on RS, just dump his ass and leave us alone. :haha:

Buddy you're singing a song to a different tune. I'm not ranting. I'm seeking advice on how to help this guy. I married into his family. His sister is my wife...

His math is bothering me because I don't want him to get taken advantage of. It's to the point he will agree to spend any amount of his money to buy the most simplest thing because he doesn't know the value of currency. I'm glad he's working, however he lacks the life skills to get ahead in life. I don't want him going through life not knowing how to take care of himself.

Understand now?
Posted via RS Mobile

t8v6 04-15-2010 10:45 PM

1. teach him math
2. teach him life skills
3. if the above 2 don't work, take him to a doctor

corollagtSr5 04-16-2010 01:45 AM

autism