REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Warrants (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612259-warrants.html)

Lomac 04-19-2010 03:24 PM

Warrants

Is it possible to find out if someone has a warrant out for their arrest, or are those sort of things private? And if so, how would you go about finding that out?

sho_bc 04-19-2010 03:39 PM

I've only ever advised someone that they had a warrant for their arrest once and it was to the specific person whom the warrant was for. I only did it because we had a long-term "relationship" as arrestee and arrester and I was attempting to avoid him being held in jail over a weekend to see a judge when he was picked up by us (advised him over the phone to attend court on his own before the weekend hit). I wouldn't share that information with anyone else, nor would I expect anyone else with access to that information to do so.

If you're wondering for yourself, you can always walk into a police station, provide ID and ask if you have a warrant outstanding. If you do, you'll likely find out pretty quickly. ;)

Lomac 04-19-2010 04:31 PM

Heh, no it's not for me. Someone I'm unfortunately acquainted with did a bunch of shit and, a couple examples among many, is being charged with credit fraud, destruction of property and grand theft auto (or whatever it's called here). There was allegedly a warrant out for her arrest and I know she had been hiding out for a few days after we got the RCMP involved and laid charges. I'm just curious if there is a warrant out for her arrest because I now know where she's staying... *shrug*

Raid3n 04-19-2010 06:10 PM

so pass the info on to the officer in charge of the case, and they will deal with it as the situation calls for.

j0hn 04-19-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6913354)
I've only ever advised someone that they had a warrant for their arrest once and it was to the specific person whom the warrant was for. I only did it because we had a long-term "relationship" as arrestee and arrester and I was attempting to avoid him being held in jail over a weekend to see a judge when he was picked up by us (advised him over the phone to attend court on his own before the weekend hit). I wouldn't share that information with anyone else, nor would I expect anyone else with access to that information to do so.

If you're wondering for yourself, you can always walk into a police station, provide ID and ask if you have a warrant outstanding. If you do, you'll likely find out pretty quickly. ;)

This seems fairly unethical to me and something I probably wouldn't admit on the internet if I was a police officer.

skidmark 04-19-2010 06:57 PM

I can't see any problem with it, I used to do it all the time. Call them up, tell them about the warrant and that they could either fix it on their own or wait from me to track them down. Most went in to the court and looked after it, the rest I had to go get. Saved me time and the end result was the same....

This would be public knowledge as it occurs in open court.

netfreak 04-19-2010 08:15 PM

Might show up on this:

https://eservice.ag.gov.bc.ca/cso/es...partySearch.do

sho_bc 04-19-2010 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0hn (Post 6913573)
This seems fairly unethical to me and something I probably wouldn't admit on the internet if I was a police officer.

How is it unethical? Half the time these guys don't even realize there is an outstanding warrant. If I'm not able to find them right away (don't have the time, no fixed address, etc etc etc) but I know a phone number where I can get in touch with them, why not advise them that they have a warrant. As skidmark stated, the end result is the same: Either I find them and bring them before court, or they walk in on their own.

Rich Sandor 04-19-2010 10:35 PM

The only way I could see it as being unethical to advise someone of a warrant out on them, is if there is a good chance the person may try to flee and avoid arrest - and it's on a serious charge, like rape or murder, etc.

I just can't believe alex has been a cop so long that he already has a 'long term' relationship with an 'arrestee' ... seems like only yesterday you were autocrossing that sho.

impactX 04-20-2010 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho_bc (Post 6914206)
How is it unethical? Half the time these guys don't even realize there is an outstanding warrant. If I'm not able to find them right away (don't have the time, no fixed address, etc etc etc) but I know a phone number where I can get in touch with them, why not advise them that they have a warrant. As skidmark stated, the end result is the same: Either I find them and bring them before court, or they walk in on their own.

Not to mention, it saves a lot of resources (your tax money) while achieving the same result. When the cop finds someone who has an outstanding warrant on a weekend, the prisoner has to stay in the cell until the JJP decides to remand/release him/her. Before all that, the cop has to do the paperwork/fingerprinting (instead of fighting real crimes), duty counsel has to be arranged (and you are paying for the counsel's time with your tax money), JJP may have to work overtime on the weekend to get through the list of prisoners (again, your tax money at work).

Things are a lot easier when they just turn themselves in; and they most likely wouldn't mind because they know they will be released on an undertaking again.

If it's a serious charge, I am sure the arrestee would've known that there's a warrant out for him/her.

sho_bc 04-20-2010 05:30 AM

I've been dealing with this person repeatedly for coming up on 2yrs now and the end is not in sight. Relative to how much we deal with the average person, it is definitely long-term.