REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   a quick question about VI's (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612428-quick-question-about-vis.html)

jackal 04-21-2010 12:33 AM

a quick question about VI's

can you get a VI for a vehicle thats under temporary insurance? last summer i insured my car a handfull of times to move it from shop to shop and on 2 ocations i was driving with no front bumper and on another ocation i was driving with my rear fenders cut out and no front bumper or right front fender. luckilly i never ran into any police or problems but can i be issued a VI for something like this or does a vehicle have to be registered with proper plates for the vehicle to fall into the same category of rules. i ask because you can just insure a car under temp insurance and never get the car air cared. it's sorta the same thing?

TypeRNammer 04-21-2010 01:25 AM

I think it's possible to be issued a VI cause your car can be deemed as unsafe. MAYBE though

sho_bc 04-21-2010 07:20 AM

Yes, a VI can be issued. We record everything about the vehicle, more specifically the VIN, onto the Notice and Order ticket. The Inspection Order will be attached to the VIN and when you try to re-insure the vehicle, it will show up.

For a vehicle to be insured (and driven) in BC, it must meet all the safety requirements in the MVA/MVAR whether its got annual or temporary insurance.

jackal 04-21-2010 09:18 AM

but if the vehicle is never fully reinsured then it wouldn't matter? i ask because this is my weekend racer. it hasn't had plates for a number of years but i do sometimes insure it for the weekend .

sho_bc 04-21-2010 09:28 AM

I would like to think that any autoplan agent would notice that an Inspection Order had been issued and not issue insurance without the vehicle being inspected... But I've come across vehicles where the agent renewed anyways.

If a police officer pulls you over and checks the VIN, which I always do with TOPs, it would show up and you'd get a $598 ticket for failing to comply with a Notice and Order (if it hadn't been complied with in the allotted amount of time) and an immediate tow (again, if the N&O hadn't been complied with).

jackal 04-21-2010 10:10 AM

ok. thank you

Phil@rise 04-21-2010 11:19 AM

Now along the same lines as a VI while on temp insurance, can a car get a VI while on Repairer plates? Reason I ask is we are new to the whole repair plate thing and use it to test drive and transport drivable vehicles for servicing diagnosing etc.

skidmark 04-21-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 6916358)
can you get a VI for a vehicle thats under temporary insurance?

Absolutely!

skidmark 04-21-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 6916358)
i ask because you can just insure a car under temp insurance and never get the car air cared. it's sorta the same thing?

Nope. You're in for trouble if you are caught driving the vehicle after the VI says you cannot.

Rich Sandor 04-22-2010 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 6916859)
Now along the same lines as a VI while on temp insurance, can a car get a VI while on Repairer plates? Reason I ask is we are new to the whole repair plate thing and use it to test drive and transport drivable vehicles for servicing diagnosing etc.

A repairman's plate does not give you carte-blanche to drive unsafe vehicles on the street. 'Drivable' does not mean it's safe or legal to drive on the street. Call a tow truck if you have to transport a car that's not safe or mvar compliant. An R-plate is meant for test driving vehicles that have small problems that you are trying to diagnose or confirm that you've fixed, like a noisy bearing or squeaky brakes or clunking tranny. You're not supposed to use it to drive a car with no body panels to the body shop across town.