REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   MVA 146 (3) - Speeding and moving (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612439-mva-146-3-speeding-moving.html)

Goingaway 04-21-2010 07:07 AM

MVA 146 (3) - Speeding and moving

Hi guys,

First of all, sorry for being a new account. For some reason my old account couldn't post.

I have a question about a ticket. I received a ticket for a speeding violation on the Coquihalla hwy (Merritt).

1) I'm leaving BC permanently to work in Alberta. My question is, why should I pay for my ticket? If I'm leaving the province I will have to change to an Alberta license. Are there any future repercussions (i.e. if one day I decide to move back to BC or if I drive in BC with an AB license. Do I get a new license or just the old ones upon paying outstanding ticket/fees)

2) How can I dispute the ticket if I'm not in the province anymore? Can I have arrangements for a court date in Alberta? Going back to Merritt is very far.

Thanks!

jlenko 04-21-2010 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goingaway
why should I pay for my ticket?

:haha:

To prove you're a man who takes responsibility for his actions, instead of a sniveling little man-child?

impactX 04-21-2010 08:26 AM

Because if you don't pay for it, and one day (say... 10 years down the road), you decide to move back to Vancouver, the interest they charge on top of the amount you owe could put a dent on your wallet.

sebberry 04-21-2010 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impactX (Post 6916621)
Because if you don't pay for it, and one day (say... 10 years down the road), you decide to move back to Vancouver, the interest they charge on top of the amount you owe could put a dent on your wallet.

So if it really isn't about money, the offence becomes more serious with time?

sho_bc 04-21-2010 12:49 PM

No, just like any outstanding bill, failure to pay within the allotted time results in interest accumulating.

Mugen EvOlutioN 04-21-2010 01:14 PM

lol unless u plan to die somewhere else other than BC, you better pay.

Goingaway 04-21-2010 04:30 PM

Well cost isn't really a concern, more the repurcussions in terms of if there are any federal laws.

Cost especially isn't a concern because living in Vancouver would mean having a million dollars to buy a home. A $200 ticket with interest over 10 years will be nothing compared to a $1M mortgage in BC.

I may not even ever go back, might move to the states. My main concern is that I know if you have a criminal record you cannot emigrate to the states.

johny 04-21-2010 04:30 PM

my understanding is BC and alberta share ticket info. so you probably couldn't get your alberta licence untill it was paid.

Goingaway 04-21-2010 04:32 PM

Thanks johny!

skidmark 04-21-2010 05:32 PM

You would have to come back to BC in order to dispute the ticket. You could dispute only the penalty by mail.

hchang 04-21-2010 07:21 PM

Why not just pay for it now, it's only like what, 100 bucks?

Life will take you in different dirrections, even when you didn't plan it.
What if someday along the road you decide to move back to BC, instead of the states or Alberta. Then you'd be completely out of options except taking public transit.

Better safe than sorry imo.

FerrariEnzo 04-22-2010 05:10 AM

ICBC will come after you no matter what... MVB probably will NEVER issue you a DL.. but im not sure about that...

why have something on your driving record for not paying something so small???

im mean if somone owes you money wouldnt you want it back?