REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

MVA 146 (3) - Speeding and moving

Hi guys,

First of all, sorry for being a new account. For some reason my old account couldn't post.

I have a question about a ticket. I received a ticket for a speeding violation on the Coquihalla hwy (Merritt).

1) I'm leaving BC permanently to work in Alberta. My question is, why should I pay for my ticket? If I'm leaving the province I will have to change to an Alberta license. Are there any future repercussions (i.e. if one day I decide to move back to BC or if I drive in BC with an AB license. Do I get a new license or just the old ones upon paying outstanding ticket/fees)

2) How can I dispute the ticket if I'm not in the province anymore? Can I have arrangements for a court date in Alberta? Going back to Merritt is very far.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Goingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goingaway
why should I pay for my ticket?

To prove you're a man who takes responsibility for his actions, instead of a sniveling little man-child?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #3
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Because if you don't pay for it, and one day (say... 10 years down the road), you decide to move back to Vancouver, the interest they charge on top of the amount you owe could put a dent on your wallet.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by impactX View Post
Because if you don't pay for it, and one day (say... 10 years down the road), you decide to move back to Vancouver, the interest they charge on top of the amount you owe could put a dent on your wallet.
So if it really isn't about money, the offence becomes more serious with time?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

No, just like any outstanding bill, failure to pay within the allotted time results in interest accumulating.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Banned (BBM)

lol unless u plan to die somewhere else other than BC, you better pay.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #7
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Well cost isn't really a concern, more the repurcussions in terms of if there are any federal laws.

Cost especially isn't a concern because living in Vancouver would mean having a million dollars to buy a home. A $200 ticket with interest over 10 years will be nothing compared to a $1M mortgage in BC.

I may not even ever go back, might move to the states. My main concern is that I know if you have a criminal record you cannot emigrate to the states.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #8
HELP ME PLS!!!

my understanding is BC and alberta share ticket info. so you probably couldn't get your alberta licence untill it was paid.
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #9
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Thanks johny!
Old 04-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Retired Traffic Cop

You would have to come back to BC in order to dispute the ticket. You could dispute only the penalty by mail.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:21 PM   #11
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Why not just pay for it now, it's only like what, 100 bucks?

Life will take you in different dirrections, even when you didn't plan it.
What if someday along the road you decide to move back to BC, instead of the states or Alberta. Then you'd be completely out of options except taking public transit.

Better safe than sorry imo.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 05:10 AM   #12
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
ICBC will come after you no matter what... MVB probably will NEVER issue you a DL.. but im not sure about that...

why have something on your driving record for not paying something so small???

im mean if somone owes you money wouldnt you want it back?