REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

Relationship & Gender Discussion THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 04-30-2010, 02:56 AM   #26
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
My fathers side is caucasian

SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #27
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
It's really up to how much you want your cousin there. If he won't go because he can't bring his girlfriend, then that's his loss. If your cousin is an adult he should be dealing with you directly, not through your uncle.

For my wedding, my wife and I said no kids under 13. A few relatives had a problem with that, but we didn't sweat it.
If they couldn't find a babysitter for one night of the year with almost a year's notice, then it was their loss. All the closest relatives came no matter what.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 04-30-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #28
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
^^
I didn't know that being Caucasian is a culture background.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-30-2010, 09:48 AM   #29
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
I didn't know that being Caucasian is a culture background.
"cultural background" is such a broad question, can you be more specific?
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #30
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
Quote:
"cultural background" is such a broad question, can you be more specific?
Greek white is very different from Scottish white which is different from Spanish white.
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme S View Post
Greek white is very different from Scottish white which is different from Spanish white.
russian/british, but they dont have many traditions, religious beliefs,etc...
Old 05-01-2010, 05:38 PM   #32
VLS Head Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
are you serious? weight the pros and cons dude. It'll cost you SO MUCH more headaches if you dont' invite the gf. You'll never hear the end of it if you dont' invite them let alone trying to 'deinvite' them.

Be the bigger person here and have the spots ready for them (you'll know there will be extra spots regardless), but put them at the furthest part away from your table behind some piller and just let it be.
Oh, don't reply his email and wait for him his call and just say you didn't get it since you're been very busy.

You have nothing to lose, you're even getting money from it. Be the bigger person or else you'll never hear the end of it.
Quote:
Me and my fiance discussed the issue of bfs/gfs before making the guestlist, and we decided on inviting the guests bf/gf if we know/met them. To be fair, if we invited my cousins gf who we've never met/know, we would invite the rest of our guests bfs/gfs, which could potentially add on 10+ ppl who we've never met.
I think you sticking to the planned before rules is the smart way to go. If he wants to be all butthurt than it\s better he stays home lol
REMEMBER:-->RS is a place for car enthusiasts to come and get together because of their intrest and love for cars. Hating is not an option-take your immaturity elsewhere!

----///-\\\----Put This
---|||---|||---On Your
---|||---|||---profile If
---|||---|||---You Know
----\\\-///----Someone
-----\\///-----Who has died
------///\-----Of
-----///\\\----Cancer
----///--\\\-----Or whom maybe suffering from it
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywoman View Post
I think you sticking to the planned before rules is the smart way to go. If he wants to be all butthurt than it\s better he stays home lol
thanks! we're hoping he does stayhome lol
Old 05-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #34
Banned By Establishment

send him and the other two a new invite but have it somewhere earlier and its just lunch or something. tell him he can bring whomever he wants haha.
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:43 AM   #35
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
russian/british, but they dont have many traditions, religious beliefs,etc...
=redneck...

i kid i kid.....sorta
simsimi1004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsimi1004 View Post
=redneck...

i kid i kid.....sorta
haha most of the family from my dads side are... i think 2 uncles live on a farm lol
Old 05-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #37
Banned By Establishment

tell him family only
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:41 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerman88 View Post
tell him family only
I could tell him that but then he would see a lot of ppl there that aren't family
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #39
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
They could be HER family, how would he know the difference?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
They could be HER family, how would he know the difference?
If they're white
Old 05-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #41

Or how about this: don't be a pussy, and be straight with your uncle. Tell him the same thing you've told us.

Quote:
Dear Uncle Fucknuts,
I invited you and Cousin It because you're family, but quite frankly, I don't like you. You've always been a prick to me, and you're being a prick now with these demands. Honestly, I'm afraid that you might cause a scene and ruin the wedding for us.

The Future Mrs. Mikeitv and I have long since decided that we don't want any "significant others" that we haven't previously met or that we aren't sure are serious; this is an arbitrary division, to be sure, but the line had to be drawn somewhere, and it was set long before the invitations were sent out.

Since you ARE family, it's still important to me to have you and Cousin It attend; however, the question about Cousin It's girlfriend is closed.

Love,
Mikeitv

edit: ps. cash gifts are gladly accepted
Quote:
Old 05-10-2010, 09:06 AM   #42

Quote:
If they're white
Touché
Quote:
Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #43

Quote:
Or how about this: don't be a pussy, and be straight with your uncle. Tell him the same thing you've told us.
already did. Here's my response:

"Thank you for offering to pay for the extra cost of a plate - but the cost is not an issue.

Our wedding is going to be a small and intimate affair and we preferred not to have any guests we did not personally know. There is nothing personal with our decision on not inviting certain boyfriends and girlfriends of relatives. Frankly - our guest list is not your concern.

I understand if <cousin>, or anyone else, chooses not to attend this event as a result of this decision."
This post thanked by:
Old 05-10-2010, 02:42 PM   #44
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
already did. Here's my response:

"Thank you for offering to pay for the extra cost of a plate - but the cost is not an issue.

Our wedding is going to be a small and intimate affair and we preferred not to have any guests we did not personally know. There is nothing personal with our decision on not inviting certain boyfriends and girlfriends of relatives. Frankly - our guest list is not your concern.

I understand if <cousin>, or anyone else, chooses not to attend this event as a result of this decision."
beautifully written. Good job
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #45
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Sorry i know this is a few weeks old but i just had to chime in.

If you've kept the relation open with your Uncle all this time (of your life) and haven't cut it off officially in the past then he should stay invited.

You make his request sound spiteful; but you said so yourself he's 70 years old.

He was being considerate in asking you if you could invite your cousins gf. (He must be hearing shit from his side of the family hence his asking you)

He's 70 years old... He knows the value of money... his Offering to pay for any burden an extra guest might bare; shouldn't be looked at as a snide remark... (When you don't like someone anything they say will get you going... but you really have to take a step back and consider things)

The matter of being condescending; all adults or... the older generation, will always look at the younger generation as being "kids" him talking to you like your a young whipper snapper should be endearing, even if it is annoying... that's family...

You note that your fathers side (which is also a part of you) is Caucasian and "so family isn't as close as an asian family" This right here tells me you probably never related with your caucasian heritage, for if you had eyes you would know your race means shit. Maybe that's part of the reason why you felt you never got along with your Uncle... because you never bothered to try and relate to that cultural side of you; maybe if you did you wouldn't find some of the things that annoy you... annoying...

I don't know the whole thread just makes it sound like you could have taken things out of context... and it sort of rubs off an image of you being a douche...

you handled it ok... You probably did your Uncle a favour by telling him "this is how things are" it probably helped him so he didn't have to listen to Your cousin whine about his GF
but you didn't have to tell him "if my Cuz or you don't like it fuck off" that just seemed down right mean...

But none of us know the nuances of your relationships we can just garner what we're told on here. So i may be totally wrong / out of line... but from what's known it certainly doesn't seem like it.

and for those who say Marriage is about the 2 getting married and they should have things exactly how they want it.... You're wrong.

You're partially right... It is about the Couple... but if they hold Family to have any value (which is the whole point of getting married... family) than they should encompass their family into every part of the marriage (yes them being there is a part of it but its not the only part) and the whole event of Marriages (which also marries families together) should be acted out as a family, together, so that everyone is Happy... Wow im really starting to Ramble and become confusing.. probably because im dead tired; this is probably the part that i should say "But I Digress"
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #46

Quote:
If you've kept the relation open with your Uncle all this time (of your life) and haven't cut it off officially in the past then he should stay invited.
Well the relationship hasn’t always been open with my uncle or other family members from my father’s side. There have been a number of issues over the years, not typical family drama issues, much more serious.

Quote:
You make his request sound spiteful; but you said so yourself he's 70 years old

He was being considerate in asking you if you could invite your cousins gf. (He must be hearing shit from his side of the family hence his asking you)

He's 70 years old... He knows the value of money... his Offering to pay for any burden an extra guest might bare; shouldn't be looked at as a snide remark... (When you don't like someone anything they say will get you going... but you really have to take a step back and consider things)
Normally it wouldn’t bother me that he offered to pay, but he already knew that the issue wasn’t about money.

Quote:
The matter of being condescending; all adults or... the older generation, will always look at the younger generation as being "kids" him talking to you like your a young whipper snapper should be endearing, even if it is annoying... that's family...
I know this is how he will always look at me no matter how old I am, but he has to realize he can’t tell me what I should do. He tried to do that when I was much younger (under 10), and I wouldn’t talk back or say anything then, but I wouldn’t tolerate it now.

Quote:
You note that your fathers side (which is also a part of you) is Caucasian and "so family isn't as close as an asian family" This right here tells me you probably never related with your caucasian heritage, for if you had eyes you would know your race means shit. Maybe that's part of the reason why you felt you never got along with your Uncle... because you never bothered to try and relate to that cultural side of you; maybe if you did you wouldn't find some of the things that annoy you... annoying...
I have actually related with my Caucasian heritage, so that is not an issue. The majority of Caucasian people I have grown up with are not as tight knit with their family as Asian people. I know certain Caucasian cultures are more tight knit than others (Italian, Greek, etc), but most of the Caucasian people I grew up with moved out at an early age, and don’t spend a lot of time with their family. A lot of the Asian people I grew up with still live with their families, and even if they don’t they spend a lot of time with their families. How close a family is doesn’t come down to just their race, it comes down to the values and culture the family practices. You can have Caucasian people that are much closer than an Asian family if they were raised with stronger family values and culture.

Quote:
I don't know the whole thread just makes it sound like you could have taken things out of context... and it sort of rubs off an image of you being a douche...

you handled it ok... You probably did your Uncle a favour by telling him "this is how things are" it probably helped him so he didn't have to listen to Your cousin whine about his GF
but you didn't have to tell him "if my Cuz or you don't like it fuck off" that just seemed down right mean...
If you’re referring to the statement, “I understand if <cousin>, or anyone else, chooses not to attend this event as a result of this decision”? That is very different from, “if my Cuz or you don't like it fuck off”

Quote:
But none of us know the nuances of your relationships we can just garner what we're told on here. So i may be totally wrong / out of line... but from what's known it certainly doesn't seem like it.
I think there are too many assumptions made about the situation. On my part, I should have probably provided more information to make a good suggestion.

Quote:
and for those who say Marriage is about the 2 getting married and they should have things exactly how they want it.... You're wrong.

You're partially right... It is about the Couple... but if they hold Family to have any value (which is the whole point of getting married... family) than they should encompass their family into every part of the marriage (yes them being there is a part of it but its not the only part) and the whole event of Marriages (which also marries families together) should be acted out as a family, together, so that everyone is Happy... Wow im really starting to Ramble and become confusing.. probably because im dead tired; this is probably the part that i should say "But I Digress"
I do hold family value to have value, but what if hypothetically, the uncle beat the person getting married so bad he was in the hospital for months, and/or that same uncle killed the pet of the person get married, on purpose, or even raped another family member. Should they then be encompassed into every part of the marriage?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
You make his request sound spiteful; but you said so yourself he's 70 years old.

Going from what the OP has said so far, though, the uncle DIDN'T "ask"... he TOLD.

"...just yesterday he sent me an email telling me I need to resend an invitation to my cousin (his son) to include his gf..."
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #48

Quote:
Going from what the OP has said so far, though, the uncle DIDN'T "ask"... he TOLD.

"...just yesterday he sent me an email telling me I need to resend an invitation to my cousin (his son) to include his gf..."
thanks Soundy. He wasnt being considerate, he told me that my cousin will not attend without his girlfriend (which was a lie), and to send out a new invitation with his girlfriend included.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #49
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

i dunno your uncle or his cultural background, but personally, when i receive invitation and if it specifically has only my name on it, i always leave the wife at home and never even thought about asking the bride or groom if its ok to bring her.

Your uncle's action is quite selfish and I think you should stand your ground. He thinks he can pay money to solve problem, but its your wedding, your the boss.

If he has no respect for you now , why should you worry about long term relationship with him?

btw, got a pic of your cousin's gf?
Old 05-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #50

Quote:
i dunno your uncle or his cultural background, but personally, when i receive invitation and if it specifically has only my name on it, i always leave the wife at home and never even thought about asking the bride or groom if its ok to bring her.
Its good to hear that a number of people respect the decision of who's invited.

Quote:
Your uncle's action is quite selfish and I think you should stand your ground. He thinks he can pay money to solve problem, but its your wedding, your the boss.
I agree and have/will stand my ground, but I think in order of whos the boss can be different depending on factors like who's paying, culture, etc...

Quote:
If he has no respect for you now , why should you worry about long term relationship with him?
he never has during my whole life, including my fathers. He's been nothing but mean, condescending, arrogant, etc.. its hard to do deal with because he's family. If he was anyone else, I would have told him to go fuck himself decades ago.

Quote:
btw, got a pic of your cousin's gf?
haha I do, but out of respect for my cousin, who didnt do anything, i'm not going to put it up :P