REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   The opposite of average (https://www.revscene.net/forums/613300-opposite-average.html)

SkinnyPupp 04-29-2010 07:20 PM

The opposite of average

I came across this excellent blog post at t-nation. I'll post the whole thing here so everyone can gain from it (I deleted the shameless plug though ;)):

The women's fitness magazine said to eat cereal with skim milk and whole grain toast.

Danielle chose to eat whole eggs and drink low-carb protein shakes.

The TV weight loss show said to eat at Subway.

Danielle chose to eat at steakhouses.

The trainer said to walk on the treadmill and stay in the "fat burning zone."

Danielle lifted barbells and ran up hills...

And Danielle got lean and hard, fast.

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/n/nj/njd89/6...eights___1.jpg

I wonder how the cereal-eaters, sandwich-junkies, and treadmill-walkers did?

My guess is not that great.

There's a big disconnect these days between the advice you hear in the popular media and what actually works in the real world.

Why?

Well, we could get conspiratorial here. We could talk about how government subsidies basically created things like high-fructose corn syrup (most corn produced in the US goes toward making HFCS rather than corn on the cob.)

Do you think government agencies and dieticians are going to tell you to avoid grains? Do you think they're going to ever waver from their antiquated and dead-wrong low-fat stance? No, because it's not about health and fitness to them; it's about power and politics.

We could also follow the money and look at how cereal and processed "health" food advertisers keep the fitness magazines alive. Think you're going to see a truthful article about eating cereal in one of those rags?

(Here, I'll write the whole article right now:

The Truth About Breakfast Cereal, by Chris Shugart

"It all sucks. Don't eat it. Any of it. The end."

I'm sure Shape or Prevention will publish that next month. Stay tuned.)

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...2520cereal.jpg

We could also discuss how Subway pays the Biggest Loser people millions to push their high-carb breads and processed meats. Or about how Gatorade, whose main ingredient besides water is HFCS in their bottled drinks, sponsors just about every fitness and athletic-related conference there is, which should make you question the info on carbohydrates you get there.

All that stuff is important to know, but I think there's something else to consider here too: the magazines, the TV shows, the newspapers, and most websites are simply not writing for you.

Who are "you?"

Well, I assume that since you're here at Velocity Life, you're wanting to build a great body through a combination of fat loss and muscle gain. You want to feel energetic, get strong, and be able to perform like an athlete. You want to look good naked and live a long-ass time.

In other words, you want to be a lot more than just "not fat" as I wrote recently in my LiveSpill.

The average magazine and TV consumer isn't necessarily seeking those same goals. Sure, they'll give lip service to those goals, but they're typically not willing to do what it takes to achieve them. No, they want the easy way out, the sacrifice-free method of long-term fat loss.

And guess what? It doesn't exist.

Seriously dedicated people don't look for the "best" cereal; they forgo all cereals.

Dedicated people don't eat at Subway. They seldom rely on others -- especially fast food chains and processed food makers -- to provide nutrition for them. They cook their own foods.

People who are serious about making changes in their bodies and their lives don't do lame fitness magazine workout programs. Instead they go to the gym and bleed intensity.

In short, they don't do the things that people seeking only to be "not that fat" do. Their goals do not end at having an average body or an average life. They seek something greater, something more.

Danielle looks and feels great because she read the fitness magazines, watched the TV weight loss shows, and then did the opposite.

Are you ready to do the same?

http://www.9quad.com/wp-content/uplo...female-abs.jpg

penner2k 04-29-2010 08:26 PM

I really wish more high profile people would jump on board with this way of thinking. People are so brainwashed these days.
I dont blame personal trainers for saying what they say or for people eating some of the foods they eat. They are getting so much misinformation all the time that it just become "common knowledge".. Then when you start talking to people they give you this funny look when you tell them what you eat.
I was having a talk with a buddy this week and when I told him I was eating 2 steaks a day and up to 12 eggs he thought I was crazy.
"You are gonna get fat"
"Why are you trying to put on weight, You are big enough... Its almost summer.. Get ripped"
I've actually thought about it and I'm gonna get up to at least 230 lbs before I consider cutting. I might change to low carb for a couple weeks at a time to control fat gain but I'm not gonna cut calories till I'm at least 230. If when I get to 230 I'm not in too bad of shape I'll keep going. Pretty much I'm looking at a 2 year bulk. If everything goes as plan I will be the farthest thing from average.. lol

RRxtar 04-29-2010 08:34 PM

i actually got in an argument with a good friend of mine whos just finished her degree in dietetics (sp?) and is focusing on nutrition. i sent her that other link you posted skinnypupp and she said "i dont agree with any of that."

SkinnyPupp 04-29-2010 08:49 PM

That's just the problem with these dieticians. Most of them aren't even malicious with their intent, they are just preaching the misinformation they are taught in order to stay in their positions.

penner2k 04-30-2010 10:31 PM

Holy crap

Quote:

sodium, when combined with fat and sugar, creates an addictive effect that in animal studies is only slightly less powerful than cocaine addiction.

hal0g0dv2 04-30-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6932827)
Holy crap

No wonder I can eat 3 boxes of sweet & salty nature path bars if that has any idea ^^^^^
Posted via RS Mobile

beetea 05-03-2010 10:41 PM

I've lost 57 lbs in 3 months doing the opposite as well. Kept it low carb, high protein. Plenty of exercise and hockey. Carb's are killer, eat as much of it as you like but if you don't burn them off they just turn into fat and stored in your body.

Good post.

Dat 05-04-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nammerboi3 (Post 6936859)
I've lost 57 lbs in 3 months doing the opposite as well. Kept it low carb, high protein. Plenty of exercise and hockey. Carb's are killer, eat as much of it as you like but if you don't burn them off they just turn into fat and stored in your body.

Good post.

Good job on the 57lbs..

jeffh 05-04-2010 10:50 PM

but, what if i cant stop eating hawkins cheesies?
fuck

!Yaminashi 05-05-2010 10:03 AM

2 steaks a day? Jesus thats alot of red meat

hal0g0dv2 05-05-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach Hines (Post 6938842)
2 steaks a day? Jesus thats alot of red meat

thats light weight shit lol

hal0g0dv2 05-05-2010 11:02 AM

hey skinny do you have the actual article, cant find it on t-nation is it old ?

penner2k 05-05-2010 11:17 AM

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_onli...ite_of_average

rice cooker 05-07-2010 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6932827)
Holy crap

Same result as msg. Thats why chinese food tastes the way it does
Posted via RS Mobile

freakshow 05-19-2010 03:16 PM

As someone who is just starting to get into and learn about healthy eating and exercise, this article is interesting -- but that's about it. I'm not bashing the article, but I want to know more.

No cereal? ok, cool.. what are the good breakfast choices after eggs and shakes?
No Subway? I'll miss meatball subs -- but replacing it with steak sounds good. What else are great alternatives?
No Treadmill? Alright -- it was mostly convenience anyways -- what are good alternate exercises besides 'running up a hill'? I heard the elliptical was good.. then again, i heard treadmills aren't so bad either..

I just got a lot of questions I guess..