REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:33 AM   #26
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantaskyline View Post
I don't understand how any Vietnamese people can support the Americans. They dropped more bombs on Vietnam then all the bombs they used on Germany and Japan in WW2. Thats a fact and it includes the two nukes.
Because there were 2 factions of vietnamese people.

If anything viet-cong soldiers and cambodians hate americans. Also vietnamese arn't really mad at americans anymore, although the chinese they fucking hate. The chinese probably did more damage after the war than what the americans did.
Advertisement
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:53 AM   #27
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
I don't understand how any Vietnamese people can support the Americans. They dropped more bombs on Vietnam then all the bombs they used on Germany and Japan in WW2. Thats a fact and it includes the two nukes.

Here's an article about how the war still affects people in Laos.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-mi..._b_558370.html

75 million bombs still remain in Laos due to American bombing campaigns during the war.
Most of the Southern Vietnamese that I, personally, know in Vancouver HATE the VC and are supporters of Americans during the Vietnam war. What is the common accord for such an alliance? Try having your property taken away from you along with all your civil liberties. You don't know how bad it is until your freedom is taken from you for purposes dictated as "the greater good" and where your closest friends, family, and intellectuals that you know are brought to labour camps and brainwashed to believe in communism.

Like previously mentioned, a lot of these "boat people" have somber stories of hardship to get to Canada and their reasons were all to escape the clutches a collective state.

However, the people from the original North seem to be rather indifferent to living under communism or, at the very least, more appreciative and able to see the benefits of democracy they have here in Canada.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 AM   #28
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Because there were 2 factions of vietnamese people.

If anything viet-cong soldiers and cambodians hate americans. Also vietnamese arn't really mad at americans anymore, although the chinese they fucking hate. The chinese probably did more damage after the war than what the americans did.
And where did you get this from? Vietnam and China have always had good relations. Yes there was a brief war between Vietnam and China after the the US left but compared to the damage the Americans did via bombing it was nothing.

The so called saviors who were going to rid the Vietnamese people of communism decided to use chemical defoliants or more commonly known as Agent Orange on the North. 12,000,000 gallons of Agent Orange was sprayed across the North. Since then 4,000,000 Vietnamese have died due to that. Here's another one, the US Air Force sprayed 20,000,000 gallons of herbicides over 6,000,000 acres of crops and trees. Guess they were thinking getting cancer and giving birth to a kid with one leg was better then being communist eh.

Here's a picture of these great hero's freeing the Vietnamese of communism:
iwantaskyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:04 AM   #29

^Are you Vietnamese?
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 05-08-2010, 04:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
^Are you Vietnamese?
Yes and my parents are both from the South and both grandpas fought for the Americans.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #31
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
And where did you get this from? Vietnam and China have always had good relations. Yes there was a brief war between Vietnam and China after the the US left but compared to the damage the Americans did via bombing it was nothing.

The so called saviors who were going to rid the Vietnamese people of communism decided to use chemical defoliants or more commonly known as Agent Orange on the North. 12,000,000 gallons of Agent Orange was sprayed across the North. Since then 4,000,000 Vietnamese have died due to that. Here's another one, the US Air Force sprayed 20,000,000 gallons of herbicides over 6,000,000 acres of crops and trees. Guess they were thinking getting cancer and giving birth to a kid with one leg was better then being communist eh.

Here's a picture of these great hero's freeing the Vietnamese of communism:
The info is straight from several vietnamese people I've met in vietnam.

Infact I remember an instance where I was inbetween dalat on my way to nha trang.

(how I travelled around in vietnam.

We stopped for coffee at a little stand, and most vietnamese people I met were super nice and had alot of questions, thats where I met the most insane man I've ever met in my life. He was an ex vietcong soldier (still wore his uniform for some reason) and was wasted. He was asking me questions (in vietnamese) and I asked him, "are you still mad at americans?" he replied that americans are ok now, but alot of chinese especially in the north HATE the chinese. This held true to most if not all vietnamese people I asked. Infact the border wasn't reopened to china until 1999 and wasn't made official till 2009.

Again i'm basing this off my experiences in nam. In a month in a half I travelled to 16 different cities, and 50 small villages, from south to north.

Last edited by Meowjin; 05-08-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #32

@iwantaskyline

What do they have to say about the Americans and the war in general?
Quote:

(>___<)
Quote:
Old 05-08-2010, 04:24 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
The info is straight from several vietnamese people I've met in vietnam.

Infact I remember an instance where I was inbetween dalat on my way to nha trang.

(how I travelled around in vietnam.

We stopped for coffee at a little stand, and most vietnamese people I met were super nice and had alot of questions, thats where I met the most insane man I've ever met in my life. He was an ex vietcong soldier (still wore his uniform for some reason) and was wasted. He was asking me questions (in vietnamese) and I asked him, "are you still mad at americans?" he replied that americans are ok now, but alot of chinese especially in the north HATE the chinese. This held true to most if not all vietnamese people I asked. Infact the border wasn't reopened to china until 1999 and wasn't made official till 2009.
I thought you were Greek? You can speak Vietnamese?

I guess thats true. China invaded the North shortly after the US left, I can understand the resentment. But you've probably never spoken to the kid born with one leg because of the chemical warfare the Americans used. I'm probably a bit biased since one side of my family is chinese.

Last edited by iwantaskyline; 05-08-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphamale View Post
@iwantaskyline

What do they have to say about the Americans and the war in general?
They hate the Communist government. But during that time there was a lot of propaganda thrown around by the Americans obviously. Things like VietCong soldiers murdering civilians etc etc. I'm not saying the VietCong are saints but my view of them isn't as bad as how I view the Americans. My grandpa was in jail for a year just because he was a soldier for the south.

They hate Ho Chi Minh. Probably just because he was the head of the communist state. I don't mind him, he kicked out the French, Japanese and the American's. Not literally but you know what I mean.

They have so-so feelings towards the Americans. A lot of my relatives moved to the states after the war only because they had relatives who were southern soldiers. But you have to know these people in the South didn't know about the chemicals the Americans used on the North or the amount of bombs that were dropped.

My parent's were pretty young during the war so they probably don't have a lot of resentment but both grandpas obviously hate the North.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #35
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
powerful pic indeed
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #36
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Birth defects resulting from Agent Orange

NSFW

Spoiler!

All due to Agent Orange. Crazy shit.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #37
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

u guys need to read up on ho chi minh...one of the greatest leaders of our time...defeated the French and Americans.

about the north vs south and communism issue...who are the americans to tell a country what they should and shouldn't do..let them fight it amongst themselves. 75000 Americans died...5 million vietnamese (majority civilians)...and the ongoin birth defects from agent orange affecting kids till this day.

i get pissed off thinking how many people lost their lives over this needles war....and for what?
Posted via RS Mobile
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
4.8 million Vietnamese people were exposed to Agent Orange, resulting in 400,000 deaths and disabilities, and 500,000 children born with birth defects.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:12 PM   #39
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Picard View Post
the desensitized modern day teenager (due to stuff like COD:MW) should see the full set of photos the Vietnam war generated - including all the disgusting, gross, horrifying of the devastating effects of Napalms.

High schools should just pull a surprise assembly and show the pictures. Kids these days think of war as "cool" and mentally link them with the thought that "in a war, death is clean, bodies are removed immediately from play and there are no repurcussions"

no joke - go talk to some grade 8-9 kid what they think about war and that's pretty much the answer you will get
I couldn't wait to learn about Vietnam in History 12 last semester at my school. Although I had some background awareness of how devastating the war was, it was still a lesson that showed me why they lost the war both at home and in Vietnam.

My history teacher told my class a story that he happened to teach the same lesson to a couple of American students in his class a few years ago. What THEY were taught in American high school is that the US actually WON the war. My teacher had one question for them: "If the US won the war, then why is Vietnam communist?". One student broke into tears trying to explain how the US won, and another outright denied it. I honestly have NO idea where the Americans being successful in 'Nam came from.

The war was extremely unjust and showed how stupid American politicians are when it comes to foreign intervention. My Vietnamese friends' parents say that they absolutely hate the North.

And those 12 year olds that play war games and are de-sensitized to actual war need to go suck a fucking nut. They think that they're big shit because they can virtually kill someone. I play MW2 as recreation to let off steam after a long day or a rugby practice. The kiddies play because they likely believe that its like having an actual war. I'm sorry, does the US Army ACTUALLY arm soldiers with a magic device that lets them pick claymores and M203 rounds off of ENEMY bodies? Does the Army also put eight snipers with anti-armor rifles on a single squad? And with CoD: Black Ops having some missions in Vietnam, God help us if they think that napalm is "so fucking 1337 cos it burnz thingszz".

Last edited by CorneringArtist; 05-08-2010 at 01:24 PM.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #40
resident Oil Guru

^
Wow are you serious? Epic Facepalm.

If anyone's interested in reading, check out the Gulf of Tonkin incident. The Vietnam War was started on a false pretext.

The suffering of both Vietnamese Soldiers and Civilians and American soldiers was incredible...
This post thanked by:
Old 05-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #41
JV6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

thanks for sharing
JV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #42
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 1,128 Times in 339 Posts
Great pictures, some good reads here forsure too! Thanks for posting!
Old 05-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #43
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegra_devil View Post
cause people with greek heritage cant be white? haha
Greeks come in all sorts of colors lol. But truthfully I didn't pay much attention to the greek part LOL
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #44
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
thx iwantaskyline

I thought i knew all the basics of the Nam war but this is the first time hearing about Agent Orange.

RIP to those who suffered from it.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #45
resident Oil Guru

^

People to this day suffer from the effects of Agent Orange.. guess who manufactured it? Monsanto!
Old 05-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #46
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Very powerful pictures indeed.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #47
Banned By Establishment

They had to pay a lot of repirations...
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-09-2010, 02:18 AM   #48
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,648 Times in 2,303 Posts
wow alot of interesting stuff reading this thread.

i found some facts said here to be outright BS that pisses me off and some that I cant help but agree on.

the only thing i remember in terms of spending time in the deep south jungles of vietnam.

most people agreed that the people/soldiers that actually fought FOR the americans side were the ones who believed that doing so would end up in "huge wealth".

and also the majority of american supporters were mostly home/land owners that lived AROUND main streets/highways (keep in mind most of south vietnam WAS and still today full of jungle and ghetto ass streets/highways) but majority was still preety poor and undeveloped)

most people believed the americans were preety much coming in vietnam to try and take their land away... so in sense they all believed they were fighting to "unite and form one vietnam.. and also keep the intruders away from their homeland

keep in mind this is what i learnt while i was on vacation in the south
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:49 AM   #49
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
i found some facts said here to be outright BS that pisses me off and some that I cant help but agree on.
agreed

First of all I am not Vietnamese however it is funny that people who were on vacation met some random Vietnamese and seem to think that those comments are worth posting as a mind set/opinion of a majority.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:46 PM   #50
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
agreed

First of all I am not Vietnamese however it is funny that people who were on vacation met some random Vietnamese and seem to think that those comments are worth posting as a mind set/opinion of a majority.
I didn't know sharing experiences was wrong. I said after my post that this is what I observed.

For the record I had a harder time in tokyo as a white guy than in vietnam.