REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #51
I subscribe to Revscene

At least someone with a hand-drawn N in the window is making the effort to communicate to other drivers that he or she is a new driver.

Any driver who can't figure out what a hand-drawn N means probably shouldn't be driving.
Advertisement

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #52
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

in response to impactX.
haha i see the irony you point out. Cops are good at that .
Yes, they did offer to pay for the ticket. If it were you, would you not drive your friends to safety?
sekin67835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #53
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If you read the OP you will see that the Police were at the scene and told them to leave. He knew he had no N, he knew he was voilating his other restriction, yet, with the Police at the scene watching him, he felt he had to rescue his friends from such severe danger that he chose to violate his restrictions. Thi is not to smear the OP, just in response to the post above
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:06 PM   #54

i see your point zulutango. But how about when the police left? what happens after that no body will know. That's what i'm getting at.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #55
I bringith the lowerballerith

At that point, your friends could have been long-gone in a taxi, taken a bus somewhere else, walked far enough away etc etc.

I would normally assume that they're smart enough not to stick around in a place they felt they may be in danger, except they allowed themselves to be in that situation in the first place (at a fight).
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 PM   #56
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekin67835 View Post
in response to impactX.
haha i see the irony you point out. Cops are good at that .
Yes, they did offer to pay for the ticket. If it were you, would you not drive your friends to safety?
I don't make friends with people who can't stay out of trouble or I know my friends are smart enough to stay out of trouble.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #57

haha, that wasn't the question,
if you were in that situation and inexperienced what would you do? Obviously you are very mature and know what to do in many situations and you are trained. Sometimes judgement can be clouded naturally, or instinctively. Thats why mistakes are always made and the police is here to correct them.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #58
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Again, I never had stupid friends dragging me through dirt.

And if I do have friends stupid enough to go watch a fight, why would they need a lift? They got themselves there and were not involved in the fight, why would their safety be in jeopardy?

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM   #59
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
i see your point zulutango. But how about when the police left? what happens after that no body will know. That's what i'm getting at.

Not exactly sure what you mean but I'll give it a stab...in the OP, the Police were there, the OP left with the Police still there and followed them away from the scene. Even IF there had been any "danger", the Police presence took care of that.

If you are meaning what happens to the "illegal driver " & passengers...I already addressed that above. In my personal experience and that of many other Cops, the car gets loaded again & they leave. I have even used my own phone to call a cab for the occupants, only to see the cab leave without the passengers because they didn't want to pay for it and had only agreed to the cab to get the Cops to leave. It all comes down to liability and what happens when things go wrong. Someone else already pointed out that the passengers ( who the driver will be helping out ) will be suing the driver when they get injured in a crash. Taking the keys (under what legal authority ?) doesn't always work. Used to do this all the time to drunk drivers, only to find the vehicle gone as they either had another set somewhere or called someobody at home to bring them more keys. That's why the Govt started the impound process for 24 hour suspensions. By taking the vehicle you are protecting yourself against civil/criminal internal proceedings, protecting the driver against civil and criminal proceedings and the public from being involved in any litigation with an uninsured driver. You also protect the unattended vehicle from being damaged. Yes it means the driver has to find another way to continue, but they knew that before they started and took a chance at getting caught. On occasion I have been able to contact the owner (usually the parent) of the vehicle and they have quickly arrived at the scene. When I explained the liability potential, there was never any question that the driver would NOT be driving away. Some times I knew the driver was in far deeper doodoo that a sinmple VT would bring. I'm not waiting for any long period of time until somebody's buddy who is 25 plus to arrive. I've got to clear and get back to work.

Any Cop will tell you that almost all people they deal with will lie to you to escape being held accountable for what they have done. A very small percentage will not, but we know the odds are that we are being lied to. Based on that alone, you have to act accordingly.

Last edited by zulutango; 05-20-2010 at 07:09 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 AM   #60
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
almost all people ... will lie to you to escape being held accountable for what they have done.
Truer words have never been spoken!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #61
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,308 Times in 1,776 Posts
I wonder where xpl0sive is in all of this?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:31 AM   #62
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

He's busy.. out getting speeding tickets.. or disputing them.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #63

hmmm.. okay

If i were to dispute it, and the police does not show up. I don't simply win do i?
Old 05-20-2010, 06:34 PM   #64
HSK
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
hmmm.. okay

If i were to dispute it, and the police does not show up. I don't simply win do i?
Well, your case gets dismissed.

However, it is dismissed without prejudice.
HSK is offline   Reply With Quote