REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 05-18-2010, 07:18 PM   #51
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegz View Post
Thanks, I'm trying to brain-wash that train-of-thought into my head as I ride all the time.

Today I dropped my bike, although the frame sliders protected the bike from any damage except a rock-chip sized scratch on my rear frame.

What happened was I forgot that I had my disk brake lock on after parking it on the street (So far I'm only used to taking it off when I leave home) and when I started up the bike and let go of the clutch with both feet on my pegs, my bike fell to its side while I was trying to pull away from the curb.

Something like this..

"It's not if you drop it, it's when you drop it."

Thank god no damage over $100 was done, but I'm still bummed out and kind of disappointed that I did this to my baby!!..
you should get a disc brake reminder thing.

Advertisement

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:33 AM   #52
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0stRider View Post
you should get a disc brake reminder thing.

Yeah, too bad I found out they exist after the small drop

Just got them along with an Arai Vector Samurai helmet in white, and some Sidi B2 boots and Infinit leather jacket.

Aaron at Modern saved me a good $500 from the prices at the store.. WOW!

Thanks for all the suggestions for me to go to Modern everyone!
tegz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #53
Banned (ABWS)

Nice bike! Don't worry about dropping it. I dropped my SV when I forgot to put down the sidestand (was too excited playing motorcycle tag ). Nice choice on the boots, I have the B2 boots as well, I managed to get them on closeout for $150.
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 AM   #54
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Bump.

In the market for some boots.

What's hot and what's not these days? Had a pair of Nitro's and boy, do they suck.

Mashimaro - How are you Vortice's? Might stop by Modern this week. Murray's been good to me.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:50 AM   #55
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Bump.

What's hot and what's not these days? Had a pair of Nitro's and boy, do they suck.

Mashimaro - How are you Vortice's? Might stop by Modern this week. Murray's been good to me.
i thought about getting the vortice's but they're a huge pain in the ass to put on/take off. instead i got the vertigo air's and they've been pretty good to me so far.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 AM   #56
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Thanks Charlie!

The Vertigo Air's are on sale for $300 right now. Any pros and cons worthy of mentioning? They were actually my first choice.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #57
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
I love my A*s SMX boots. $250 for the waterproof versions, or $220 otherwise.

Sidi fits narrow, A*s fit wide, so A*s for me.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #58

^

exactly. sidis do fit a little narrow. but i have small asian feet so they're perfect for me LOL.

i have no complaints about the vertigo airs whatsoever. the ventilation is great and they're very comfortable to ride and walk in. i had a car cut into my lane and squish my foot between my bike and the car once. my foot probably would have been crushed had it not been for the boots. walked away with some bruising and that was it. never leave the house without them on now lol.

check sportbiketrackgear's close out sales. i remember they had a huge sale on remaining a-stars supertech boots for around $150. might be all gone now though. good luck
Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #59
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Bump.

bcrdukes - check your PM bud

i love the Vortice, but as someone mentioned, they take a min or 2 longer to put on due to the 3 rachet mechanisms.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #60
Banned (ABWS)

^The new version of the Sidis are supposed to be easier to put on
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #61
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermyzy View Post
^The new version of the Sidis are supposed to be easier to put on
My Vortice's are obsolete already?! dammit! lol!
Old 04-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #62
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
I've owned several pairs of boots over the last year or so.

Started off with the Puma 1000 v2 boot. Although it offered the most protection, I felt that it was more of a full on racing boot. Of course the most protection is the best but everyone should make their own judgement on how much comfort they are willing to give up for protection.

I then went for the Alpinestars SMX Plus boot and it was definitely more comfortable than the Puma boot but still a little too much for my causal riding.

My newest boot is the cheapest yet the best I've had so far. It's the TCX X-Square. For a price tag of $99.99 free shipping (RevZilla) I was able to get them to my door within a few days of ordering them. Right away I could feel that these were A LOT more comfortable than all my other boots and they still have substantial protection.

Google for more images...
Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM   #63
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

(noob here looking for my first pair of boots)

Just by looking at the pictures, I can see what you mean when you say the Pumas and the SMX boots are like full-on racing boots.
But seeing your latest boots, they just look like everyday hightops with extra padding ..? Quite a few boots are designed like this, so I don't doubt the design, but it just strikes me as peculiar.

Once I get my skepticism sorted out, I think I'll be getting a pair of those. (Looking at the Puma Testastretta II also)
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:50 PM   #64
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
SIDI Vertigo Air are awesome boots, but really suck when it rains due to the perforation holes.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
(noob here looking for my first pair of boots)

Just by looking at the pictures, I can see what you mean when you say the Pumas and the SMX boots are like full-on racing boots.
But seeing your latest boots, they just look like everyday hightops with extra padding ..? Quite a few boots are designed like this, so I don't doubt the design, but it just strikes me as peculiar.

Once I get my skepticism sorted out, I think I'll be getting a pair of those. (Looking at the Puma Testastretta II also)
I totally see where you're coming from, I had the same skepticism when I was looking into these. Of course, at the end of the day, I won't buy/use something that I feel isn't adequate protection for the price I pay. That being said, it does offer substantially more protection than a basketball shoe or high top shoe.

- The toe and heal are both reinforced and feeling them I can tell right away that they are going to provide protection.

- Two high-density ankle protectors.http://www.revscene.net/forums/newre...eply&p=7400819RevZilla Review
- Abrasion resistant sole.

When I wear this shoe, I definitely feel a lot more solid on the ground. Similar to the feeling I had when I was wearing a full boot, the sole is strong and sturdy.

If you want something with a little more protection, for another $100, I think the Alpinestars SMX-5 would be the best boot to go for. It's obviously larger than this TCX shoe but it's not as obtrusive as the space-boot Pumas or SMX-Plus.

As for the Vertigo Airs, I agree with Ghost Rider, they're a phenomenal boot. Obviously Italian-made boot is going to be high quality and this boot provides adequate protection similar to that of the SMX-5. If you're worried about rain, you could also purchase the all-weather gortex version of the Vertigo Air.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #66

I'm looking for something that can be worn off the bike just as easily as on. I'm going to go try some boots on tomorrow hopefully; I've looked at enough pictures.
I get off work around 3pm tomorrow in Richmond... local shops I've considered are Carter Motorsports and Modern Motorcycling. Richmond Motorsports doesn't seem to have boots? I'm going to call them all tomorrow.

Judging based on looks, again, I'm apprehensive to get something like the SMX-5 for fear that it would feel something like wearing ski boots when walking around. Definitely not comfortable.

I'll admit: I'm a Puma fan-boy. I'm really drawn to the Flat v2.. (silver with black looks awesome).. but that means shelling out another $100 over the cost of your TCX boots; just for the looks, probably. I hope local shops have Pumas I can try on, otherwise I think I'll order off of RevZilla and return them if I don't like them.

I've been reading/watching vids on RevZilla a lot lately and they're convincing me that these boots are, in fact, safe haha. I won't know myself until I wear them though.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:44 PM   #67
I STILL don't get it

correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe richmond motorsports is closed now.
truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM   #68

^

about a month ago a bunch of repomen came and took all their bikes. i think they've reopened since then though.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #69

No they've officially closed down. They liquidated all their remaining assets over the last month at dirt cheap prices and sold what was leftover to local dealers. AVOID Richmond Motorsport in my opinion. Had a friend who bought 2 Ducatti's from them less than a year ago and was promised 2 free servicing including oil changes. At $28,000 a bike, an incentive like free servicing for 2 years is definitely icing on the cake. He's now shit out of luck.

I'm sure this has been discussed several times before but my favorite store is Imperial Motorcycle in Burnaby. Excellent service, great prices, great in-store selection.

Second on the list would be Bayside Performance. Their store has competitive pricing but is primarily online based which is a pro and con. You get to see most of their inventory from the comfort of your home but if you're someone who likes to visually see things before buying, then in-store won't have too many options for you @ Bayside.

We should get one of these Motorcycle Stores to be a sponsor here on Rev.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #70

^

i went to imperial for an oil change once, and they screwed up installing the oil filter and it blew out while i was leaving the lot lol. but im sure that was just a one time mistake.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #71

Went to Bayside today... they had nearly nothing in stock for boots. The guy said that my best bet is it order online from a site that offers a good return/exchange policy. (Especially because local shops may not have a large selection of my size [13].) Going to check out Imperial later, though.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #72

Quote:
Went to Bayside today... they had nearly nothing in stock for boots. The guy said that my best bet is it order online from a site that offers a good return/exchange policy. (Especially because local shops may not have a large selection of my size [13].) Going to check out Imperial later, though.
Basically, exactly what I told you lol.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
Basically, exactly what I told you lol.
Haha yup thanks!

Went to Imperial finally. I'm going to get the SMX-5's. Last thing to decide is whether to go for the waterproof ones or not. I'm not too keen on riding in the rain, but it's bound to happen someday, right?

Decided to try on helmets while I was there anyways... the Shoei RF-1100 was my favourite of all I tried on. $460+tax for it. The HJC CL-16 ($130+tax) was second place for me, but by a long shot.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #74

Quote:
Haha yup thanks!

Went to Imperial finally. I'm going to get the SMX-5's. Last thing to decide is whether to go for the waterproof ones or not. I'm not too keen on riding in the rain, but it's bound to happen someday, right?

Decided to try on helmets while I was there anyways... the Shoei RF-1100 was my favourite of all I tried on. $460+tax for it. The HJC CL-16 ($130+tax) was second place for me, but by a long shot.
Yup, I have the RF-1100 as well, in a Diabloic 2 color scheme. Love the helmet, no complaints.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #75
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
I have the TCX xsquare boots that parm has and I love them. Comfortable and not too crammy. The padding is limited, obviously won't compare to any SMX model from A* or sidi's but its good for what it is priced at. The top of the boot ends just above the ankle on me.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote