REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   Buying an uninsured bike? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614251-buying-uninsured-bike.html)

tegz 05-09-2010 01:20 PM

Buying an uninsured bike?

Hey Revscene riders,

I just got my loan for a bike, and it's uninsured... I've visited an autoplan broker for the transfer form + the bill of sale forms.

Anyway my Q is what are the exact steps that take place when I'm purchasing a used and currently uninsured bike? and I'm interested in knowing if I can start riding it the first day I buy it off the person...

Cheers.

PS. for those of you who may think I'm too lazy to ask, I already called a few autoplan places and all they've said is to bring in the transfer forms, and none directly answered my questions about how long it takes to actually legally drive the vehicle, and I didn't just want to assume that I could the day of, because if that weren't the case I would've just gotten my hopes up for nothing :P

Gh0stRider 05-09-2010 03:53 PM

As soon as you finished the transaction for the bike, goto the autoplan broker and complete the transfer. You should be able to insure the bike as soon as it gets transferred into your name.

Also do a lien check on the bike.

I've done transaction for bikes and I've ridden it home the same day, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.
Posted via RS Mobile

tegz 05-09-2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 6944943)
As soon as you finished the transaction for the bike, goto the autoplan broker and complete the transfer. You should be able to insure the bike as soon as it gets transferred into your name.

Also do a lien check on the bike.

I've done transaction for bikes and I've ridden it home the same day, so you shouldn't have a problem with that.
Posted via RS Mobile

Yeah I was just wondering how much of a hassle it would be to take it home to bby from surrey without any insurance lol!

TheSalesman 05-09-2010 09:50 PM

You don't want to take it home without any insurance. As for you question in the first post...It doesn't make a difference if the bike is insured or not. Even if it is, hes gonna cancel the insurance which will mean the bike won't have insurance as soon as it is transfered over to your name. All you have to do is goto any insurance place and transfer the bike to your name and get a permit and then ride it home.

Gh0stRider 05-09-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6945465)
Yeah I was just wondering how much of a hassle it would be to take it home to bby from surrey without any insurance lol!

thats not a good idea man. Riding without a plate/permit is gonna get some attention for sure.

tegz 05-10-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 6945583)
thats not a good idea man. Riding without a plate/permit is gonna get some attention for sure.

LOL I was thinking more along the lines of having to get a bike trailer or a truck to transport it.

TheSalesman 05-10-2010 09:54 AM

^ If that was what you were thinking then you don't need insurance on the bike anyways. As long as you're not riding it.

Gh0stRider 05-10-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6946004)
LOL I was thinking more along the lines of having to get a bike trailer or a truck to transport it.

Thats fine, since your not operating the bike.

bcrdukes 05-10-2010 05:01 PM

If you need your bike trailered, PM me. I have a contact who helped me with my scooter several weeks ago. :)

tegz 05-11-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6946425)
If you need your bike trailered, PM me. I have a contact who helped me with my scooter several weeks ago. :)

Thanks, but now that I know that you can ride it back the same day, I've arranged for an experienced friend to take my bike home. And afterwards I'm going for my first ride with him. Can't wait for the weekend!

taylor192 05-12-2010 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6948544)
Thanks, but now that I know that you can ride it back the same day, I've arranged for an experienced friend to take my bike home. And afterwards I'm going for my first ride with him. Can't wait for the weekend!

Why did you assume you couldn't ride it the same day you registered it? When you register it, they give you a plate with a valid sticker. Bolt on the plate, drive it home. :thumbsup:

You can also register it with ICBC at any autoplan location. I went to the closest Autoplan store, put ICBC basic on it to start to get a plate to drive it home, then got collision/comprehensive/liability with Beacon later on.

tegz 05-12-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taylor192 (Post 6949388)
Why did you assume you couldn't ride it the same day you registered it? When you register it, they give you a plate with a valid sticker. Bolt on the plate, drive it home. :thumbsup:

You can also register it with ICBC at any autoplan location. I went to the closest Autoplan store, put ICBC basic on it to start to get a plate to drive it home, then got collision/comprehensive/liability with Beacon later on.

That's exactly what I needed to know lol!

I didn't know the exact details because my parents helped me insure my car through their broker in previous years.