REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #51
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
^ then you hope the street outside can accommodate 2 cars/family...
Advertisement

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #52
Ubereem Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
its nice for a 1, maybe 2 people...

its a good investment..

but if you were to sell it, you dont own it.. so when you go to sell the big house, your lot will be smaller, wouldnt it decrease the value of the big house??
It's not a strata OR a divided lot so the owner of the lot still own it. it's part of your property. So it would technicall increase the value of your home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
the 190K price is obviously their markup for these places

its nothing innovative and i would suspect they cut corners on the foundation etc

to build a house on that size it would cost well under 100k
Wrong and wrong, the actual cost of these places are roughly 250K.

The permit itself is 50K without even a single brick laid not including foundation cost and tear down if the previous garage foundation today is insufficient. Foundation is checked by the city before the go ahead with the construction of the main building so don't provide false "info" on saying cutting corners, this isn't China, there is strict building codes. Construction is roughly 150-200K depending on the type of laneway housing the owner plans to build. As there are around 4-5 different floorplans and structrual type.

So hence the price, 200k is acutally on the cheaper side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
I wonder if the owners are allowed to rent out just the land? A company could rent the land put up a prefab house for cheap and rent it out.

Maybe build houses out of shipping containers like this:

nope, land can't be "rented out" the permits don't have that clause and it's a residential property the zoning would not allow this type of business structure.

While the shipping containers are kinda cool, it won't never happen just cause the visual appeal of these houses will never fly in Vancouver.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2010, 11:22 AM   #53
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt-R R34 View Post
While the shipping containers are kinda cool, it won't never happen just cause the visual appeal of these houses will never fly in Vancouver.
I actually like the shipping container look
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #54
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Cool idea, I would totally live in one by myself, MAYBE with a girlfriend...but not a family. Also, there's barely any storage space in the design. The bike locker is not enough, most people have tons of shit to store...

You could totally throw some solar panels on the roof and make self-sufficient heating.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #55
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanAir View Post
You could totally throw some solar panels on the roof and make self-sufficient heating.
People generally need heating in the fall/winter.

Vancouver generally does not have sunny days in the fall/winter.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #56
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Hmm so it takes no account of your current floorspace for your lot size. You can have only 500sqft on a 33ft lot 750 max on a 50ft lot. Not even sure it's worth it to build on a 33.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #57
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
It's not a strata OR a divided lot so the owner of the lot still own it. it's part of your property. So it would technicall increase the value of your home.

The permit itself is 50K without even a single brick laid not including foundation cost and tear down if the previous garage foundation today is insufficient. Foundation is checked by the city before the go ahead with the construction of the main building so don't provide false "info" on saying cutting corners, this isn't China, there is strict building codes. Construction is roughly 150-200K depending on the type of laneway housing the owner plans to build. As there are around 4-5 different floorplans and structrual type.

nope, land can't be "rented out" the permits don't have that clause and it's a residential property the zoning would not allow this type of business structure.

That is so crazy price wise. Coach houses, 40-45K. A bit smaller but less then 1/3 the cost. Those seem like a nice idea but at that price point it would take so long to pay for itself it's totally not worth it IMO.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #58
Da Vinci's real masterpiece: The Mona Diesel

Quote:
I wonder if the owners are allowed to rent out just the land? A company could rent the land put up a prefab house for cheap and rent it out.

Maybe build houses out of shipping containers like this:

Oh god, housing prices are so bad I am considering living in a shipping container

doesnt look that bad tho:

http://www.shippingcontainerhousedesign.com/
Old 05-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #59
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:

The permit itself is 50K
That's ridiculous!!!

Who's dumb idea was this anyway? This might be a good idea If you have parents that are retried that may need some assistance but don't want to live in a old age home plus they could help take care of any kids you have. But the cost is too high to rent it out and make the money you spent on it back. Better off to have one or 2 basement suits and rent them out.

Wonder if they allow mobile homes?
Old 05-11-2010, 04:02 PM   #60

Quote:
That's ridiculous!!!

Who's dumb idea was this anyway? This might be a good idea If you have parents that are retried that may need some assistance but don't want to live in a old age home plus they could help take care of any kids you have. But the cost is too high to rent it out and make the money you spent on it back. Better off to have one or 2 basement suits and rent them out.

Wonder if they allow mobile homes?
Probably cheaper to jack up a house that didn't have a basement up on stilts and add one then it is to build one of these, thats just fucked.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #61
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,326 Times in 5,642 Posts
Quote:

LOL are you fucking kidding me?

my company is in the process of building 2 separate homes near 21st and Main and for a 3 level home from the ground up, total tear down and rebuild from foundation up is around 300k

and dont try to tell me about building inspectors, etc. the city of Vancouver has the most inconsistent inspectors of the whole lower mainland, as well as the biggest pricks, it's simple to run drain tile, water proofing, etc. after an inspection and get away with it, there is a process then there are the corners that can be cut by any builder.

I'm not sure where you get this 50K figure for the permit, but I guarantee there are ways around that, and if that is some specific "Lane way" home permit, then i know for a fact that there are ways around this "permit" because i actually had a lengthy discussion with 2 fellow employee's today on the prospect of these type of homes and both of them have said they knew people building these LONG before this recent news story.

200k is obviously their markup for their attempt at cornering the market, any builder could build these homes.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #62
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:

my company is in the process of building 2 separate homes near 21st and Main and for a 3 level home from the ground up, total tear down and rebuild from foundation up is around 300k

and dont try to tell me about building inspectors, etc. the city of Vancouver has the most inconsistent inspectors of the whole lower mainland, as well as the biggest pricks, it's simple to run drain tile, water proofing, etc. after an inspection and get away with it, there is a process then there are the corners that can be cut by any builder.

I'm not sure where you get this 50K figure for the permit, but I guarantee there are ways around that, and if that is some specific "Lane way" home permit, then i know for a fact that there are ways around this "permit" because i actually had a lengthy discussion with 2 fellow employee's today on the prospect of these type of homes and both of them have said they knew people building these LONG before this recent news story.

200k is obviously their markup for their attempt at cornering the market, any builder could build these homes.
Bloody brilliant on behalf of these Lanefab guys. They get their name attached as the go to company to build a laneway house.

I suspect the price will drop way down as soon as 15 more companies pop up in a week. Oh, and 10 of them will be East Indian owned, a group synonymous with quality in the construction industry.

The pricing sounded like shit to me too.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #63
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
^ that looks awesome! is that supposed to be a bike storage underneath the bedroom?
Yea, it's a bike storage, I guess you can use it for other stuff if you wanted too.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
Bloody brilliant on behalf of these Lanefab guys. They get their name attached as the go to company to build a laneway house.

I suspect the price will drop way down as soon as 15 more companies pop up in a week. Oh, and 10 of them will be East Indian owned, a group synonymous with quality in the construction industry.

The pricing sounded like shit to me too.
This isnt technically "new homes" the owners of the existing residence choose to build this detached space

if they choose an East Indian builder, that is their choice

*disclaimer - there are good east indian builders.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #65
Ubereem Mod

Quote:

Hey I'm not arguing with you but you might be building 2 houses for 300K on a split lot. I know how much it cost to tear down, buy mats, build a house. I do enough progressive mortgages to know the costs associated to build a house. Plenty of houses financing has fit your breakdown of 300k, laneway houses isn't as cost effective like a full tear down AND rebuild.

The issuewith laneway is permit/foundations/sewage and while the 250-300 is a mark up, they DO NOT make a lot as you put it.

Also, i don't know how your employees have been building laneways for the longest time, there hasn't been any permits allowed in the lower mainland ever. While they might have been doing it else where, if they say they have been doing it here. I doubt their truth.

Here's some facts and a read if you must:

Quote:
Ronda Howard, a senior city planner, said Vancouverites expressed interest in housing aging parents near caregivers, and providing starter homes for adult children in their own communities.
But building and development permits, electrical and water hookups, construction fees and landscaping fees make laneway housing expensive.

This laneway house at McGill and Slocan in East Vancouver is nearly complete.
“It’s not really what I would call affordable,” Ocea Ringrose(owner of property) said.
The city estimated the cost for a laneway house would total around $150,000. But Michael Geller, a Vancouver architect, planner and developer, said the actual costs are closer to $250,000.
One builder said his laneway houses cost between $230,000 and $300,000.
“If you think of what you get for that price it’s quite remarkable,” said Jake Fry, who owns Smallworks, a company that builds prefabricated laneway homes. “If you think of something akin to a one-bedroom apartment or a condominium … you’re really not getting into much under $450,000 or $500,000.”
Here is a break down in cost:

Quote:
Here’s a breakdown of the possible costs associated with a 500-square-foot laneway house:
Construction fees: $100,000 at $200 per square foot (Source: Interview with Ocea Ringrose)
Building permit: $699.25 – based on construction fees (City of Vancouver)
Development permit: $748 (City of Vancouver)
Demolition: $249 – if demolishing main house (City of Vancouver)
Landscaping: $500 + depending on space, complexity and design – required by the city (H.O.T Architecture)
Garage demolition (if required): $1,500 (City of Vancouver)
Enviroshake roofing (from recycled plastic): $28,000 (Enviroshake Roofing)
Installation of solar heating system: $1,000-$3,500 – depending on type of system (ToolBase Resources)
Water sewer connection: $8,000-$30,000 – depending on new infrastructure required (H.O.T Architecture; and Interview with Jake Fry)
Electrical connection (must be separate from main house): On average $1,000, but can be up to $20,000 if new equipment or infrastructure is required (BC Hydro)
Architectural and engineering fees: $10,000 + (Architectural Institute of B.C.)
Site survey: $2,000 + (if required) (H.O.T Architecture)
Estimated appliance costs: (Sears Online)
- Washer/dryer: $800
- Small refrigerator: $600
- Basic oven/stove: $600
- Toilet: $80
- Sinks: $500
- Bathtub/shower: $750
I've also talked to the 2 companies that are building pre-fabs in Vancouver right now and their associated cost is in the 150-200Ks.

Edit: My bad, i just did a little research, laneway housing was allowed in Vancouver in the 1920s....

Last edited by Gt-R R34; 05-11-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Gt-R R34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #66
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Enviroshake roofing (from recycled plastic): $28,000 (Enviroshake Roofing)

28K for a roof on a 500 sq house are you kidding????

I bet you could build one for around 100k if you used the right people to do the job.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #67
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
thats probably why roofers are such ballers. Or drug trafficers apparently.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #68
SG2
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

one can be built for around $150k if you're doing it the same time as a new house but will be more if you're going to add a laneway to an existing house. The first laneway in the RS1 Zone is on Euclid Ave around 29th ave. There are other laneway but not in the RS1 zoning
Old 05-12-2010, 09:19 AM   #69

I'm sitting at our site off main and 21st and two developers I'm with said a laneway house can be built for under 85k easilly from excavation to finishing

the 3 story full basement were building here is barely over 200k
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #70

Quote:
I'm sitting at our site off main and 21st and two developers I'm with said a laneway house can be built for under 85k easilly from excavation to finishing

Posted via RS Mobile
That sounds more realistic. Although we don't do residential construction that 150-200K price point is ridiculous.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #71
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
If the existing house is newer, I'd say go for the laneway @ approx $100k.

If starting from scratch, I'd say go with the 3 storey full basement with proper sound separation w/ the suite. You (homeowner) would save on utilities, HVAC, roofing, and still have room out back for a yard and a proper garage. The suite would probably get a bigger living area compared to the laneway house also.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #72
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
Are you saying I can do all the work myself, hiring workers, subcontractors, etc. and be able to build the house for 85k or that I can easily find a contractor that can take care of pretty much everything for me and just hand him 85k?
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #73

If you find a construction management company that has the know-how and good people working for them that can design it I'd say yea you should be able to find someone to build one for under 100
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #74
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'm sure u can get one built for even cheaper than 85k, but just like with anything else, you get what you pay for. A lot of contractors will opt to use cheaper quality materials and possibly less experienced people to lower the cost. If I was getting one of these built, I would want to spend the money to get one built that's good quality and looks half decent.
Posted via RS Mobile
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM   #75
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
This isnt technically "new homes" the owners of the existing residence choose to build this detached space

if they choose an East Indian builder, that is their choice

*disclaimer - there are good east indian builders.
Yes, yes there is. I certainly don't want to paint an entire group with the same brush. There does tend to be a large group of builders that service a need, mostly in Surrey of building large houses cheaply.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote