REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Box 2 VI clarification (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614588-box-2-vi-clarification.html)

jing 05-13-2010 12:18 AM

Box 2 VI clarification

C&P'd from another forum:

Quote:

no no box 1 is they look at your car " think" its unsafe, pull your plates on the spot, and tow it
iirc box 2 is an inspection within 14 days,
and a box 3 is a month
I got a Box 2 recently and was told by the issuing officer that I had until the next time I renew my insurance to take care of it. Upon reading the above quote however, I Google'd it and found this:

Quote:

What is a box 2 Notice and Order?

A Notice and Order is an enforcement tool requiring certain actions to be taken. Police officers and peace officers may issue a Notice and Order. A Box 2 Notice and Order requires a vehicle to be repaired and presented promptly to a Designated Inspection Facility for an inspection. An Authorized Inspector at a Designated Inspection Facility will conduct the vehicle inspection and complete an inspection report. A passed inspection report must be provided to the Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement Branch within 30 days.

The consequence of not complying with the order is that the vehicle will not be allowed to operate on a highway, nor will the vehicle be permitted to renew the vehicle licence and insurance. It is also an offence to operate a vehicle if the Notice and Order has not been complied with.
Do I have 14 days? 30 days? Or until I renew my insurance to take care of the VI?

Also, about the VI itself.

I was given a Box 2 for "exhaust hanging too low". However, my exhaust sits higher than the frame railsCan I still pass a VI in this case, since my exhaust is not actually low (but is still aftermarket)?

zulutango 05-13-2010 06:43 AM

The correct answer is written on the VI. A #2 ( the # 2, middle choice) requires you to take the vehicle to a BC Provincial inspection station and have a complete inspection done. The report must be forwarded by the inspection centre to the MV Branch. You must carry the report showing you passed the inspection, with your vehicle and produce it if required. The Police copy goes to MVB and goes into the database & will show up if your plate is run. The database shows the issue date and if it still remains on the database ( because you didn't get the inspection done) & you are stopped after the 30 days, you get a $598 VT and a tow job and probably a #1 VI which will remove your vehicle from the road immediately.

The inspection is supposed to cover everything from defroster to high beam indicator. The issuing Police are not supposed to specify any particular mechanical defect they see (for a #1 or # 2) and there would be no reason to, as the entire vehicle will be checked. The individual defect area is supposed to be only used for a # 3 Notice and Order so only that area need be checked by someone other than an official inspector. The # 3 requires the owner to repair the defect immediately and report to a Police station within a specified time period. The #1 and #2 require you go to the provincial inspection station. Hope that explains things a bit better.

As far as your exhaust goes, no part of the vehicle may be below the lowest part of the rims...without seeing your vehicle in person I can't make a proper determination of what the officer saw. It sounds like that may have been the problem. Lack of clearance is usually grounds for immediate removal from the road. Sorry but I can't be more specific by long distance.

skidmark 05-13-2010 11:44 AM

This probably illustrates why many people get into trouble in these situations. The officer gave incorrect information and you didn't read the notice that you were given completely. You must always carefully read any document issued to you by the police. If you don't understand it, then you need to take steps to insure that you do, immediately. Often these documents are time dependent and if you wait around the problems just get worse.

Celica4ever 06-09-2010 06:29 AM

What happens if the 30 days expired can I exrtend it? can I still drive the car till my insurance end(without getting pull over)

zulutango 06-09-2010 10:22 AM

Nope...you are now subject to a Level 1 ( remove from the road immediately) inspection, a tow job and a $598 VT. They gave you 30 days to have it inspected and you didn't do it I assume or is this a "what if" question? The only way you can get longer than 30 days is if you HAD the vehicle inspected and there were a couple of very minor items not fixed because you were waiting for parts etc. The Inspection station has the authority to give you I believe an additional 14 days...but only under those conditions.

sho_bc 06-09-2010 09:35 PM

Exactly. If we see an issue and check the plate, or pull you over for another reason and run the plate and see that an outstanding N & O hasn't been dealt with within the allotted amount of time, its the $598 ticket and an immediate tow with a Box #1.

I've only seen one occasion where it hadn't been removed from the system but the Inspection had been completed: I pulled the person over less than an hour after the Inspection was passed and the system hadn't been modified yet (papers & decal verified roadside).

zulutango 06-10-2010 08:18 AM

I stopped a lowrider modded pickup and the truck was showing as having an outstanding N&O # 2...about a month past due date. I checked the truck and the dirver produced a completed VI...with BOTH copies...including the inspection station copy...the one that they had to mail in. I also saw that the exhaust ended right under the cab and did not exit the body and the cats had been removed. Issued another #2 on the spot and took the inspection station paperwork with me to the garage. I had a number of problems with this particular garage and reported this latest improper inspection to MV Branch. They issue $345 VTs for improper inspections to the inspector who signed off on it. The owner's family members had friends who were into modding and many of the vehicles were passed that did not meet standards.

tegra7 02-02-2014 07:56 PM

Sorry to bump an old thread. I was given a box 1 vi and the ticket says "inspect at a designated canadian tire facility". My question is do I have to take my car to canadian tire? or can I go to any designated inspection facility?

meme405 02-02-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegra7 (Post 8410210)
Sorry to bump an old thread. I was given a box 1 vi and the ticket says "inspect at a designated canadian tire facility". My question is do I have to take my car to canadian tire? or can I go to any designated inspection facility?

You are free to take it to any designated inspection facility. They cannot force you to take it to a Canadian tire.

The cop must have share in CT...:troll:

zulutango 02-03-2014 04:21 AM

The same garages where you must take your new import for it's Federal "inspection"..."yep, that's a VIN you have there and it's a car".........

DodgyDakota94 04-24-2018 09:56 AM

Got box1

1 Attachment(s)
One of you stated that if the officer text box 3 that are on the description comes up and that's what you have to have repaired now mine the officer text box one but also put a description of defects and violations that should be required to fix now do I fix just those or do I have to fix everything else and then he requires me to go to the RCMP office where he's at and bring the inspection and the vehicle ?????Attachment 29916

sho_bc 04-24-2018 11:41 AM

Box 1 is a full inspection, bumper to bumper. Everything will have to be compliant.

zulutango 04-24-2018 04:36 PM

A box 1 should have had you towed off the road and not driven until it passes the inspection. Get caught even driving it to the inspection and you will get will towed and a $598 fineé The paperwork he gave you tells you exactly what to do so there is no guessing. The defects he noted were for the attention of the inspection station and to let you know the reason you got it. There well may be other problems that he did not locate at roadside so the car gets a complete 100% inspection of everything in the inspection manual.

Rallydrv 04-25-2018 09:42 AM

i hope these inspection catch hids in regular halo housing. so freaking annoying