REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

icbc claim Q

I got into an car accident few months back, adjuster lowballed and offered 4gs and says thats fair. I told her i dont think thats a fair settlement. She reply's and asks what you think is fair. So i told her im not experienced to know whats a good settlement maybe ill ask a lawyer. Obviously she doesn't want me to get a lawyer and says lawyers take years to settle and can take up to 30% of your money.

So can i call attorney offices and ask them over the phone since they offer free consultations? Or Should i just counter with a really high settlement? Or bluff and say this is what a lawyer said i should be getting?
Advertisement

Last edited by 03c0upe; 05-18-2010 at 01:17 PM.
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I have a bit of personal injury law practice experience, and I can tell you a lawyer will not be able to tell you "this is what you should be getting" over a phone call. If a lawyer is telling you a number over the phone, I wouldn't go there.

Every case is different, everyone's circumstances are different, and injuries affect every ones bodies in different ways, and the nature of your work, school, along with your age and sex plays a factor.

Keep in mind the Adjuster's job is to pay out as little as possible and settle as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next file.

Generally lawyers are worth the 30% more they take, because they can usually get you much more than the initial offer. The years to settle bit is also correct, but that's just because it's a work in progress to build up the file so that it can be settled for a fair amount with everything factored into it.

Since many lawyers offer free consultations, I'd suggest you go in and talk to them in person.

Good Luck
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

what injuries and what car?
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Benz View Post
I have a bit of personal injury law practice experience, and I can tell you a lawyer will not be able to tell you "this is what you should be getting" over a phone call. If a lawyer is telling you a number over the phone, I wouldn't go there.

Every case is different, everyone's circumstances are different, and injuries affect every ones bodies in different ways, and the nature of your work, school, along with your age and sex plays a factor.

Keep in mind the Adjuster's job is to pay out as little as possible and settle as quickly as possible so they can move on to the next file.

Generally lawyers are worth the 30% more they take, because they can usually get you much more than the initial offer. The years to settle bit is also correct, but that's just because it's a work in progress to build up the file so that it can be settled for a fair amount with everything factored into it.

Since many lawyers offer free consultations, I'd suggest you go in and talk to them in person.

Good Luck
would it be wise to say to my adjuster that i want um lets say 15grand. If i say something like that can it hurt my case in anyway if i get a lawyer or not
Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
do you have pics of the damage?

maybe an autobody expert on here may have some insight..
Old 05-14-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

You need to tell us what is the claim?

Property or Injury

I think property are pretty clear cut. They usually will take the market value, unless there are some substantial upgrades that you can proof.

Injury

Then, that is more complicated like someone said... so what is it?
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
I'm in the same situation, does anyone have recommendations for personal injury lawyers that have free consultations?

And are these free consultations really catch-free?
Posted via RS Mobile
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03c0upe View Post
would it be wise to say to my adjuster that i want um lets say 15grand. If i say something like that can it hurt my case in anyway if i get a lawyer or not
You can say whatever number you want to your adjuster, but what it comes down to is the justification of the number.

If you do wish to get a lawyer down the road I would suggest you get one earlier then later, and let them handle it, and not suggest random numbers to the adjuster. It could potentially hurt your case down the road, and made work difficult for the lawyer.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

"You're offer isn't fair and I don't know what's fair." lol
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:55 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

if it is a personal injury, do not settle. Be patient because injuries take a while to heal.
As for your car, do your research and look up ads for your car to get an equivalent value.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #11

ahh just gonna get a lawyer, i thought i would give adjuster a chance trying to settle without lawyer. I said no to her initial offer, and i dont want to hurt my case by countering too high knowing i wont get that amount without lawyer.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If you're in this strictly for the money... I have no comment.

As someone who's been through the whole injury thing.. if you don't heal properly, NO AMOUNT OF MONEY will make your life better. I walked away with $25k years ago, but I still hurt. My back has never fully healed. I would gladly give back every cent, just to be able to lift my daughter up and not wince in pain.

You could make it a million bucks... if you're still in pain when it's over... you won't give a shit about the $$$. Trust me.

If you aren't fully healed yet... "plateaued" as my doctor put it... don't even THINK about settling. Trust me.. I've been there.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 AM   #13
Banned (BBM)

^

true that, my friend has been in a car accident for 2 years, she seen numerous doc, and it seems no one can heal her properly. Now she is living in miserable, taking pain killers daily-bi-daily

humans are fragile.
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote