REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   3D Movies (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614827-3d-movies.html)

Lomac 05-15-2010 11:28 PM

3D Movies

What's your take on 3D movies? Is it simply a fad that will eventually fade away in a year or so, or is it here to stay?

My issue with 3D movies is that out of all the movies coming out, only a fraction can really justify being shown in such a manner. Animated videos, or movies with an animated feel (Polar Express comes to mind) can kinda get away with it, simply because the nature of those videos is already somewhat surreal. But other movies (Avatar, Resident Evil, etc) seem to be simply jumping on the bandwagon and doing it as a gimmick. The technology for 3D just isn't quite there yet and apart from the random sword tip or sunglasses being thrown toward the camera, there's very little in the way of actual three dimensional feed. The other issue is that the majority of these videos are converted into 3D in post production, meaning it was never filmed with the Fusion 3D system. What I've seen of these "after thought" films is just really poorly executed 3D that you're being conned into paying an extra handful of dollars to view. In my opinion, it's simply not worth it.

Personally, I'd like to see the 3D fad fade back into a niche market until technology can actually catch up to what the film industry is trying to create with the effects. I'll admit it's a neat trick, but with today's technology, it's nothing more than that: A cheap, gimmicky trick.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on it?

JKam 05-16-2010 09:24 AM

I like it with Avatar and animated movies only. Avatar looks stupid on a regular tv after you've seen it in IMAX.

LiquidTurbo 05-16-2010 09:26 AM

Avatar-like movies please. 2D animated like Shrek or Up can stay 2D. In fact I prefer the 2D versions of those kinds of movies.

StylinRed 05-16-2010 09:27 AM

The entertainment industry is pushing it because they want to curb piracy and get people back into the theatres

the home entertainment companies are pushing it because they want people to keep buying new electronics

so when you have both spectrum's pushing it heavily it's here to stay unless the public just doesn't buy it at all (and i dont see that happening since everything new and "top of the line" has it incorporated)

personally, i've tried out some of the 3D displays for home television... it looks nice but i can't see myself buying like 10 pairs of glasses to use for movie nights (that'd be like what, a few thousand dollars?) nor can i see myself actually watching a lot of movies in that format

PS (are you trying to lure Skinnypupp in here so the newbs can flame him?)

LiquidTurbo 05-16-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 6953794)
The entertainment industry is pushing it because they want to curb piracy and get people back into the theatres

3D movies could EASILY be pirated. Watch it in youtube so that it overlays the images..

twitchyzero 05-16-2010 10:31 AM

there's already a thread on this
in more recent pixar films, do they add the 3d effects after they've rendered things or do they consider the effects throughout?

RayBot 05-16-2010 02:52 PM

Im indifferent to 3d.

If its done well, the movie will do well. And vice versa if it doesn't....no gain, no harm.

One movie that was horribly done in 3d was Clash of the Titans. Horrible 3d rendering, and hence, it didn't do good.

But one movie that stood out in 3d was The Final Destination. Yes, it was a horrible movie...just like the rest of the Final Destination movies. But at least they made 3d fun.

If they can get the rendering to a point where A. its extremely good or B. just purely enjoyable....why not. The technology is right in front of them for movie makers to do simply.

vafanculo 05-16-2010 03:35 PM

I dunno... After avatar 3D I watched Alice in wonderland. That was my last 3D movie until another avatar level movie comes out. For me 3D is more for the experience, and doesn't make the movie any better. Infact it probably makes it worst, having to wear those stupid goggles and all.

I know I'm saying it now, but I never plan on buying a 3D television either. I know the price will drop eventually, but the whole goggle thing is a pain in the ass.
Posted via RS Mobile

murd0c 05-16-2010 05:02 PM

screw 3D I can't wait for hologram's :D

Neoxphuse 05-17-2010 09:58 AM

Gotta say, every movie is a gimmick like. Avatar was insane over the top impressive. It was absolutely immersive. That's how 3-D should be like. Not just this cheap eye-popping crap.

ceeteezy 05-17-2010 11:16 AM

seen a couple of 3d movies. so far only avatar was cool, the rest had cheap 3d effects

rice cooker 05-17-2010 12:34 PM

Fuck this gayass 3d shit they need to invent the holodeck
Posted via RS Mobile

StylinRed 05-17-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christruong (Post 6955126)
seen a couple of 3d movies. so far only avatar was cool, the rest had cheap 3d effects

That's because all other movies have been post processed to be 3D rather than shot in 3D

I think the 2nd movie that's using Avatars 3D tech for filming is the new Resident Evil that's still in the works the rest are just shot in 2D and "converted" to 3D

RE should give you a great 3D experience

there are a few other movies that will be filmed in 3D that's on the way

The Alien Pre-Quels (yes i said quels); the Twilight Finale; Battle of Stalingrad (Russian movie; if it ever gets the money)

Gnomes 05-17-2010 02:15 PM

Totally agree with OP. I think skinnypupp made a long rant about 3D movies as well a while ago.

Lomac 05-17-2010 06:36 PM

Yeah, I forgot that another thread had already been made. I'm not sure if it survived or if it was deep-sixed when it turned into a bit of a flame fest, though.

But yeah, I was watching the RE5 trailer and saw the exclamations throughout the entire thing that it's being filmed in 3D... that's what annoyed me. I'm not against 3D per se, but at this point I'd rather just watch the regular 2D version.

Gumby 05-18-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neoxphuse (Post 6955057)
Gotta say, every movie is a gimmick like. Avatar was insane over the top impressive. It was absolutely immersive. That's how 3-D should be like. Not just this cheap eye-popping crap.

Exactly the way I feel about 3D.

Avatar was amazing mostly because of the 3D experience. The story itself, like many others have pointed out, was so simple. My parents don't go to the theatre very often, and I urged them to watch Avatar repeatedly. They actually made it to the theatre once, but my mom forgot her glasses, so they returned home.

Once I found out it wasn't being shown in 3D anymore, I told them not to bother anymore.

Hondaracer 06-03-2010 08:41 PM

3D will fail because of the absolutely horriblely designed glasses

when 20% of my vision is out the side of the glasses still, wtf is the point? it ruins the whole experiance for me, why the hell would they not make the glasses have a lense that completely envelops the eye, not some stupid designer frames that sit 2 inches off your face

i've tried the 3D sets like 6 diff times on numerous sets, i've always come to the same conclusion

why would i pay 3600 for a 42" Panasonic 3D TV when i could get the 42" XBR10 for 2300 or cheaper..