REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   ok i want my bike liscences but do i have to wait a year? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/614984-ok-i-want-my-bike-liscences-but-do-i-have-wait-year.html)

c32 05-17-2010 05:47 PM

ok i want my bike liscences but do i have to wait a year?

hey all. i always wanted my bike liscence and think i should get it now, im 21 i still have my N liscence but getting class 5 in about half year.. if i waited till i have my class 5, would i have to wait 1 year with my motorcycles learners?

SilverBlitz 05-17-2010 06:23 PM

if you have a class 5 it's a 2 week wait for mst and 1 month for full class 6 license

c32 05-17-2010 06:55 PM

oh man thats great news. ill just wait for class 5 first then. will i need my own bike for the class 6 road test?

bcrdukes 05-17-2010 07:03 PM

Wait until you get your Class 5 first.

If you take a course such as with Pacific Riding School, you can use their bikes. Several of us at the Revscene Coffee Meet last week were graduates of PRS and is highly recommended.

stevo911_ 05-17-2010 07:03 PM

Unless you can borrow one from a friend, or attend a riding school that allows you to borrow it for the road test.
I STRONGLY recommend that you take a riding course, anybody who doesnt is an idiot (generally speaking)

tegz 05-17-2010 07:14 PM

The usual steps are to

1) Get your L (might as well do it sooner than later)
2) Riding school
3) MST after 14 days of your 8* (L)
4) Road test after 14 more days for your class 6!

BTW, why are you waiting for your class 5 to get your bike license?

you know you can ride alone with just a class 8 after MST right?

Without a class 5, you can take MST 1 month after you do your knowledge test.

impactX 05-18-2010 04:59 AM

From the tone of your post, it seems you are in a hurry.

Just remember, never rush your training/test, you need to absorb as much as you can during class. Your goal is not to get your class 6, but to stay alive on the road after you get your bike.

corollagtSr5 05-18-2010 02:50 PM

there was a loop hole back in 2003, im not sure if it's still in effect. If you have your class 7 N, and get your class 8 L, which is learners for bike, then take your class 5, you get to skip the MST test, and are able to take the Class 6 road test the day after you pass the class 5. Also the class 8L or class 6L expires after one year, and if you dont pass the road test, you have to do everything all over again.

truth 05-19-2010 01:05 AM

If you take a course like Pacific Riding School, you'll be way ahead of those who don't. The lessons you learn will stick with you to help you SURVIVE. That being said, the process is much simpler with a course since you get to do an in-house MST and use the bikes you learn on for your road test.

TheSalesman 05-19-2010 09:47 AM

I always thought that if you did the class 6 road test while you have your N, you get your class 5 AND class 6 together.

Gh0stRider 05-19-2010 10:23 AM

If you already hold a full-privilege non-GLP B.C. driver's licence, getting your Class 6 motorcycle driver's licence takes a minimum of 30 days provided you pass all tests. You will also have to pay some fees for your application and tests. Once you pass the Class 6 Knowledge Test, Motorcycle Skills Test and the Class 6 road test, you get your Class 6 motorcycle driver's licence.

You only have to go through GLP once. For example, if you hold both a Class 7 Novice (N) and Class 8 Novice (N) licence, to exit GLP you may take either the Class 5 or Class 6 road test.

c32 05-20-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6955713)
The usual steps are to

1) Get your L (might as well do it sooner than later)
2) Riding school
3) MST after 14 days of your 8* (L)
4) Road test after 14 more days for your class 6!

BTW, why are you waiting for your class 5 to get your bike license?

you know you can ride alone with just a class 8 after MST right?

Without a class 5, you can take MST 1 month after you do your knowledge test.

what is a MST? i am kinda confused, so i can ride alone with my learners? if so thats awesome and i would go for the learners right now, school sounds kinda like a good idea how much will i have to pay? most likely i think i will wait till next year to start riding since i cant realy afford a bike and gear right now.. but man if i can ride with my learners, ill get it right away and get a hold of a bike some how, 1000 dollar bike cant go wrong.. or maybe one of those noobie bikes with the thin tires lol..

Gh0stRider 05-20-2010 03:41 PM

MST - Motorcycle skills test
You cannot ride by yourself with a learners. Must have a class 6 supervisor.
School like PRS is 795

c32 05-20-2010 03:48 PM

ohh so if i take the MST i can ride a bike there? i think i will just take the MST in the winter time or so and start riding next summer.. since i will be getting my class 5 after summer theres no point of going for my bike liscence now.. hmm i dunno gona have to think this over.

Gh0stRider 05-20-2010 04:27 PM

After a MST you can ride by yourself during the day only.

bcrdukes 05-20-2010 08:03 PM

^
And to add to that, no passengers.

tegz 05-20-2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6960002)
^
And to add to that, no passengers.

+ no alcohol :D not that you'd want to have ANY in your system with a class 6 anyway

tegz 05-20-2010 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phucmang (Post 6959755)
ohh so if i take the MST i can ride a bike there? i think i will just take the MST in the winter time or so and start riding next summer.. since i will be getting my class 5 after summer theres no point of going for my bike liscence now.. hmm i dunno gona have to think this over.

I suggest you get your L (8* from knowledge test) and your N (8 from MST/PRS) this summer so you can ride next summer!

Why? Because with the 8 after MST you can ride alone! BTW, even with your class 8*, there are alot of kind people in the online community who'd be happy to take you for rides as a supervisor.

http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=119762

The guy is offering to take people out for rides (on his schedule of course) while on the way home from work!