REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   If you find yourself going too fast into corners.. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/615002-if-you-find-yourself-going-too-fast-into-corners.html)

tegz 05-17-2010 08:41 PM

If you find yourself going too fast into corners..

and not wearing enough gear..

check out this site:

http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike.htm

Note: NWS + some disgusting stuff

jbsali 05-17-2010 10:51 PM

wow crazy pics near the end.. especially the last one

maxxxboost 05-17-2010 11:41 PM

damn
Ride safe everyone!

XtC-604 05-18-2010 12:21 AM

shit man i was just considering a bike too, the picture of the guy that was ejected from seat and into the wooden fence crotch first was the most devastating picture for me.

bcrdukes 05-18-2010 12:54 AM

A lot of these accidents can be prevented if they had taken proper safety training and/or a combination of wearing proper gear. How many of those pictures on that page alone were due to lack of gear? i.e. helmets/gloves/boots etc.

impactX 05-18-2010 04:56 AM

Not going to click on the link and have the mental image recalled everytime I take a corner... just remember to brake on the straight and enter the corner dead slow.

There's no reason to not wear gear in Vancouver, the weather is dam nice.

Gh0stRider 05-18-2010 09:54 AM

Most of those road rash incidents could have been avoided, if people were wearing proper gear. Sure wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sandals are nice on a hot day out, but if you think its too hot to ride, then drive a car. Comfort should not be the deciding factor.

I urge people to get proper training. If they dont have the training, then i wont ride with them. Simple as that.

tegz 05-20-2010 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 6956487)
Most of those road rash incidents could have been avoided, if people were wearing proper gear. Sure wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sandals are nice on a hot day out, but if you think its too hot to ride, then drive a car. Comfort should not be the deciding factor.

I urge people to get proper training. If they dont have the training, then i wont ride with them. Simple as that.

Yup.. bad road rash = speed + no gear lol!

Good_KarMa 05-20-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 6956148)
A lot of these accidents can be prevented if they had taken proper safety training and/or a combination of wearing proper gear. How many of those pictures on that page alone were due to lack of gear? i.e. helmets/gloves/boots etc.

Even with proper training, full gear, and a high sense of self-control stuff still goes down.

Maybe it's time to quit street riding and stick to track days for me.

gdoh 05-20-2010 10:00 AM

omfg that is some messed up shit

y dont ppl wear proper protective gear i would give a fuck how it looked what matters is that it works...like ppl with no helmets, even glove like come on how hard is it to put on gloves ?

bcrdukes 05-20-2010 11:48 AM

Judging by the pictures of those accidents, most of them, if not all, were in the US. There are a tonne of states out there that do not have a law which requires you to wear AT LEAST a helmet. Pretty ass backwards if you ask me. And television shows like Orange Country Choppers kind of promote squiding. Monkey see - monkey do. Go figure. :\

eurochevy 05-20-2010 11:50 AM

this thread title is very misleading lol...and in case someone wants some real info...just look through the corner to your exit RELAX your muslces don't tense up because that alone will screw u...and push in the clutch if all else is failing

OTG-ZR2 05-27-2010 11:00 AM

This weekend I got a good stick to the neck.

I was dirt-biking thru a over-grown trail and behind some leaves there was a 1" tree that had fallen part way, it had went under my helmet and gave me a good bit of rash as i went by. After that I called it quits on bush wackin....

BinsentoW 05-28-2010 11:03 PM

Ive been to that site 4-5 times before, and everytime it gives me the shivers.
Reminds me that I shouldnt speed on public roads and to wear gear.

tegz 05-29-2010 01:27 PM

Went out yesterday night and 10pm for some practice riding in the rain, kept under speed limit or even below at all times.

Anyways, I was going down the snake hill between North Road and Coquitlam centre.. I downshifted before the corners to get a good RPM range to make the turns with enough throttle..

When I downshifted, I revmatched, but not quite enough, and what happened was my rear kinda went out of control and slided side to side... I was lucky enough to ease gently on the throttle to get back in control right before I went in the corner but was scared shitless to take the corner on at a reasonable speed, slowing down a car behind me throughout the turn..

I thought slipper-clutch and rev-matching was supposed to stop a rear slip (it definately doesn't slip ever in dry roads, but much more sensitive in the rain) now I'm just traumatized to ride corners confidently in the rain lol!!

My guess is that I didn't rev-match enough, was going about 50 in 3rd, shifted down to 2nd but I was shocked at how easy it was to slip on your rear lol.

Anyone got any tips to conquer this? What I'm gonna do is definately work on blipping harder with the throttle on downshifts, as I blipped too little yesterday, imo.

|<e|_ 09-04-2010 06:07 PM

keep it in third and be gental on the brakes if you're not that confident in rev matching going down snake hill while riding in the rain...or... Just drive when it rains...
Posted via RS Mobile

lexluthor09 09-07-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6970041)
Went out yesterday night and 10pm for some practice riding in the rain, kept under speed limit or even below at all times.

Anyways, I was going down the snake hill between North Road and Coquitlam centre.. I downshifted before the corners to get a good RPM range to make the turns with enough throttle..

When I downshifted, I revmatched, but not quite enough, and what happened was my rear kinda went out of control and slided side to side... I was lucky enough to ease gently on the throttle to get back in control right before I went in the corner but was scared shitless to take the corner on at a reasonable speed, slowing down a car behind me throughout the turn..

I thought slipper-clutch and rev-matching was supposed to stop a rear slip (it definately doesn't slip ever in dry roads, but much more sensitive in the rain) now I'm just traumatized to ride corners confidently in the rain lol!!

My guess is that I didn't rev-match enough, was going about 50 in 3rd, shifted down to 2nd but I was shocked at how easy it was to slip on your rear lol.

Anyone got any tips to conquer this? What I'm gonna do is definately work on blipping harder with the throttle on downshifts, as I blipped too little yesterday, imo.

a slipper clutch isn't going to completely get rid of rear wheel slip. however at those speeds (not counting actual engine speed as you didn't indicate any) I highly doubt that your slipper clutch is doing anything. it only works after a certain limit. eg. shifting from 4th to 2nd going 100km/h.

loss of traction was more likely because of other factors than your slipper clutch reasoning especially at 50km/h

SuperSlowSS 09-07-2010 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tegz (Post 6970041)

how fast did you let the clutch out when you downshifted?

Midnitez 09-16-2010 04:57 AM

If u ride at night find some open space without traffic to 'warm' ur tires... Makes a HUGE difference..... Havin about 20% grip compared to full grip on ridin early in the morn, n late at night sucks
Posted via RS Mobile

taylor192 09-16-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnitez (Post 7107033)
If u ride at night find some open space without traffic to 'warm' ur tires... Makes a HUGE difference..... Havin about 20% grip compared to full grip on ridin early in the morn, n late at night sucks
Posted via RS Mobile

Absolutely. There are a lot of posts from new riders on various forums about lowsiding right after leaving their house. Cold tires don't stick, keep the bike upright in the corners will you've been able to build up some heat. Especially as mornings get cooler and damp in the fall.