REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Text Messaging Car Accident

Public service massage is way to graphic.

Video - Text Messaging Car Accident

here are the facts.

Teen Driver Cell Phone and Texting Statistics

•Despite the risks, the majority of teen drivers ignore cell phone driving restrictions.
•Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver's reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
•56% of teenagers admit to talking on their cell phones behind the wheel, while 13% admit to texting while driving. (Note: Because this information was given voluntarily by teens, actual cell phone use numbers may be much higher.)
•48% of young Americans from 12-17 say they've been in a car while the driver was texting.
•52% of 16- and 17-year-old teen drivers confess to making and answering cell phone calls on the road. 34% admit to text messaging while driving.
•In 2007, driver distractions, such as using a cell phone or text messaging, contributed to nearly 1,000 crashes involving 16- and 17-year-old drivers.
•Over 60% of American teens admit to risky driving, and nearly half of those that admit to risky driving also admit to text messaging behind the wheel.
•Each year, 21% of fatal car crashes involving teenagers between the ages of 16 and 19 were the result of cell phone usage. This result has been expected to grow as much as 4% every year.
•Almost 50% of all drivers between the ages of 18 and 24 are texting while driving.
•Over one-third of all young drivers, ages 24 and under, are texting on the road.
•Teens say that texting is their number one driver distraction.

Cell Phones, Text Messaging, and Car Accident Information for All Drivers

•Talking on a cell phone causes nearly 25% of car accidents.
•One-fifth of experienced adult drivers in the United States send text messages while driving.
•In 2008 almost 6,000 people were killed and a half-million were injured in crashes related to driver distraction.
•At any given time during daylight hours in 2008, more than 800,000 vehicles were driven by someone using a hand-held cell phone.
•4 out of every 5 accidents (80%) are attributed to distracted drivers. In contrast, drunk drivers account for roughly 1 out of 3 (33%) of all accidents nationally.
•Texting while driving is about 6 times more likely to result in an accident than driving while intoxicated.
•People who text while driving are 23% more likely to be in a car accident.
•A study of dangerous driver behavior released in January 2007 by Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. found that of 1,200 surveyed drivers, 73% talk on cell phones while driving. The same 2007 survey found that 19% of motorists say they text message while driving.
•In 2005, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that 10% of drivers are on handheld or hands free cell phones at any given hour of the day.
•A study conducted by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Motorists found that motorists who use cell phones while driving are four times more likely to get into crashes serious enough to injure themselves.
•In 2002, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis calculated that 2,600 people die each year as a result of using cellphones while driving. They estimated that another 330,000 are injured.
•According to the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, drivers talking on cell phones are 18% slower to react to brake lights. They also take 17% longer to regain the speed they lost when they braked
•Of cell phone users that were surveyed, 85% said they use their phones occasionally when driving, 30% use their phones while driving on the highway, and 27% use them during half or more of the trips they take.
•84% of cell phone users stated that they believe using a cell phone while driving increases the risk of being in an accident.
•The majority of Americans believe that talking on the phone and texting are two of the most dangerous behaviors that occur behind the wheel. Still, as many as 81% of drivers admit to making phone calls while driving.
•The number of crashes and near-crashes linked to dialing is nearly identical to the number associated with talking or listening. Dialing is more dangerous but occurs less often than talking or listening.
•Studies have found that texting while driving causes a 400% increase in time spent with eyes off the road.

Study Reveals the Dangers of Texting While Driving
The following statistics come from a study conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI):

•Of all cell phone related tasks - including talking, dialing, or reaching for the phone - texting while driving is the most dangerous.
•Teen drivers are four times more likely than adults to get into car crashes or near crash events directly related to talking on a cell phone or texting.
•A car driver dialing a cell phone is 2.8 times more likely to get into a crash than a non-distracted driver.
•A driver reaching for a cell phone or any other electronic device is 1.4 times more likely to experience a car crash.
•A car driver talking on their phone is 1.3 times more likely to get into an accident.
•A truck driver texting while driving is 23.2 times more likely to get into an accident than a trucker paying full attention to the road.
•A truck driver dialing a cell is 5.9 times more likely to crash.
•A trucker reaching for a phone or other device is 6.7 times more likely to experience a truck accident.
•For every 6 seconds of drive time, a driver sending or receiving a text message spends 4.6 of those seconds with their eyes off the road. This makes texting the most distracting of all cell phone related tasks.
Advertisement
trev0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
i would like to see the statistics for teens with cell phones vs adults with cell phone

and im sure teens txt alot more than adults its hard enuff for adults to operate the basics of a cell phone
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I could care less if they die in a car accident while texting. Hopefully they won't crash into someone else though because I will feel sorry for the good drivers that get involved.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev0006 View Post
•Talking on a cell phone while driving can make a young driver's reaction time as slow as that of a 70-year-old.
Yet they still are allowed to have driver's licenses. Figure that one out. (the elderly)
1990 Mercedes 300TE. Future daily
2000 Subaru Impreza. Broken, lady's daily
Delerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
That's some really really old re re re repost. Thanks.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
There was a commercial where it just showed 2 images

One was "Where u at"

The other one was "This is the text my daughter was reading when she drove into oncoming traffic."

sad stuff really
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Public service massage eh....? Sounds hot.
ari.gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I really like the commercial which has a crash scene and then you see an iPhone on the ground and the text on it says "did your phone die?" or something along those lines. Still gives me a shock when I watch it.

Actually funny thing is of all the people I see talking on the phone while driving, the majority are young adults between 21-30.. Maybe teenagers are more concerned to follow rules and don't want to break the law?

And I just read on the news they are trying to ban cellphones while driving world wide. Apparently they are getting the UN involved.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I was in richmond yesterday I saw at least 5 c-lai's on their cellphones, some where creative enough to use the palm of their hands to cover the phone. Lol

That being said, I used to txt and drive and I used to call a lot. Now that I don't even the people who's riding with me feels safer.
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:04 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

I guess Ill stop posting on rs while driving, but my drive to school takes over 10 minutes!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

What's all this noise about texting and driving? I like checking RS on the road
Posted via RS Mobile
KayCaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
i wouldn't be surprised if texting while driving's true statistics is worse than drunk driving.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #13

Anyone know where I can buy a cell phone jammer?

I'd like to fuck up the experience for those idiots who do talk on theirs while driving...
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznboi128 View Post
I was in richmond yesterday I saw at least 5 c-lai's on their cellphones, some where creative enough to use the palm of their hands to cover the phone. Lol

That being said, I used to txt and drive and I used to call a lot. Now that I don't even the people who's riding with me feels safer.
Posted via RS Mobile

yesterday when I was crossing the road some c9 was doing this gesture.....

at first I thought she ran someone over and didn't know what to do....then I scanned for victims and then I had an epiphany...

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
lol sometimes i just get the passenger to text for me
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
those stats are hilarious!!!!
A truck driver texting while driving is 23.2 times more likely to get into an accident than a trucker paying full attention to the road.

fucking scientific.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmx323 View Post
thats what i do all the time
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
I got my buddy to text for me once and he texted the exact opposite of what I asked, so I'm never doing that again.

I always wondered If the rule for Class 5 is that it has to be hands free, would it be legal if your passenger held your phone up against your ear?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:46 PM   #19

i don't see why not.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
+1. thats what gf's r for
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #21

^good for cup holder too, since my car has a shitty one.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I could care less if they die in a car accident while texting. Hopefully they won't crash into someone else though because I will feel sorry for the good drivers that get involved.
Agreed.
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19 View Post
+1. thats what gf's r for
Not when some other girl texts you and your gf sees it. Hah. Fuck
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM   #24
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Anyone know where I can buy a cell phone jammer?

I'd like to fuck up the experience for those idiots who do talk on theirs while driving...
dealextreme?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4355

p.s.

public service announcements are meant to be overboard just for "shock" value.

nobody would take a second to think if the message was weak.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Cell phone Jammers are illegal in Canada.

But it'd be pretty funny watching people look at their phone as if the network's dropping calls constantly.

Source:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...t-alberni.html

Quote:
Cellphone jamming principal forced to retreat at B.C. high school

Device illegal in Canada, students point out

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...zz0onBIRIGEThe battle between students and teachers over the use of cellphones in schools reached new heights in B.C. when a school principal installed an electronic jamming device to stop the ring tones, the chatter and the text messaging.

Steve Gray, the principal in Port Hardy Secondary School on the north coast of Vancouver Island, was frustrated that a cellphone ban in his school wasn't working.

"We banned them a couple of years ago and that doesn't seem to have stopped the problem," Gray told CBC News on Monday.

"When there are cellphones in use, there is a constant background of 'Please put your cellphone away. Please give me your cellphone,'" Gray told CBC News.

So about a month ago he went online and bought a device from China to jam the signals.

Electronic warfare

Last week the device, which Gray described as a little box with four antennas, arrived from China, and he plugged it into the wall in the school library.

"I thought we'd do a little experiment and see what happens," he said.

"It was astonishing how it worked.… Two-thirds of the school instantly shut down for cellphone use. The teachers were very happy. Students were wondering what was going on," he said.

"Many students said, 'Yeah, you have done the right thing,'" said Gray.

Many others, however, were irate, and on Thursday a group of students refused to return to class after lunch, claiming their rights had been taken away, said Gray.

The students informed the principal the jamming device was illegal in Canada, and Gray had to pull the plug.

Now he's back to the frustration of an ineffective cellphone ban.

"It's not easy to enforce, because, you know a cellphone in your pocket, it's impossible to know it's there, and it's always on, always ready to be used," he said.

Toronto has largest ban

In Toronto, school trustee Josh Matlow understands the principal's frustration, but he said with proper enforcement cellphone bans can work.

Matlow introduced Canada's largest ban two years ago across 560 public schools. He acknowledges that some students still break the rules, but says fewer are using phones inside the classroom.

"If they are caught using it in the classroom, the teacher is allowed to confiscate the cellphone. Certainly, in most cases they get a warning, and they are told to turn it off," he said.

In New York City schools, students are banned from having cellphones on school property, but Matlow said that violates their right to contact parents on the way to and from school.

Instead, he urges school boards in Canada to go as far as they can to ban cellphones in the classroom — without breaking the law.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...#ixzz0onBD7F00
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote