REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-19-2010, 04:19 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Potshot to Big Oil/Government: Catalytic converters not needed in modern vehicle

I did a thorough search, and was a bit surprised that this one hasn't come up on Revscene that I can see. A lengthy essay but we should all be aware of this.

If you drive a domestic automobile of a later year than 1975, which should be about everyone in North America, it has a catalytic converter. Unless it's older than 1984 in which case you can pitch it. The "cat" for short was first thought of in the early 1950s by a French engineer living in L.A. named Eugene Houdry. He was tired of all the smog, and worked in catalytic oil refining. The first production cats weren't introduced until 1973 when lead was taken out of gasoline as an anti-knock agent, and some other guys fussed around with the design, and improved it. Lead gunked up the converter. By 1975 all vehicles had to have a cat from the factory, and by 1985 it was a big no-no to take it off your vehicle if it was built in that year, or later.

The idea behind the cat is to burn unburned hydrocarbons(fuel molecules) left over from the combustion cycle. It wasn't really too bad of an idea for the time because cars were carbureted then, and the fuel mix ratio was just set to the best compromise for most conditions. If it got cold, or you had a big drop in altitude it would be a little lean, if it got hot, or you went up into the mountains it would be a little rich. Most of them were set on the rich side because a spark ignition engine runs better a little rich than it does too lean. So this meant unburned fuel coming out the tail pipe. The cat was supposed to burn this extra gas and clean up the emissions. Good idea right?

Maybe sort of at first. The biggest problem with early converters is that they took a long time to get hot, and they had a problem staying hot enough to burn the fuel all the time because the carburetor wasn't always that far off, and sometimes was too lean to keep the cat hot, but rich enough to still waste some gas. Enter the smog pump. It blew air into the cat like a blast on a furnace to keep it hot, and the carburetors were intentionally set even richer to make sure they wasted enough fuel to keep the cat hot. Plus the smog pump pulled about 5 horsepower. So now we are wasting fuel to support a device to catch wasted fuel.. Now I'm sure all the oil companies were just licking their chops on the prospect that EVERY SINGLE CAR ON THE ROAD WAS GOING TO HAVE TO CONSUME 30% MORE FUEL(est.) to catch any incidental unburned fuel that might escape due to the carburetion system.

Then in the mid 80s we started getting good at fuel injection, and now we can control how much fuel the engine gets at any time. Coincidentally about the same time the feds mandate the catalytic converter to be on all engines about 25HP all the time, for all time, and with no exceptions, EVER. A little convenient? Seeing as there should be very little waste fuel now that we can accurately meter the fuel to the engine's needs. Your modern vehicle's computer is now so sophisticated that it can vary the pulse of every injector by 1/100th of a gram every single rotation of the engine. There is absolutely NO reason whatsoever for a modern vehicle to have a catalytic converter. Accept that it takes about 15%-20% more of your fuel(read money) to keep it hot, and running. Better than the 30% or more from days of yore, but still very wasteful. Not to mention the less than beneficial side effects produced by the cat. Like acid rain from hydrogen sulfide.

Anyone with a moderate understanding of combustion theory, and an understanding of engine control systems knows that a properly electronically tuned engine burns many times cleaner than the federally mandated system. Some european contries won't even allow california smog equipped vehicles in their country because they are so dirty. At our current level of technology it is abundantly apparent that it has nothing to do with clean air, and everything to do with more money in the "system".

(Flame suit on)
Advertisement
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-19-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
yes it is a lot cleaner with EFI now and emission recycling but there's the big problem of whether or not the combustion is complete by the time it made it to the cat entrance....Efficiency in air intake and filling of the combustion cylinder is not really ideal even at this time and age (direct injection is supposed to fix that, but it's still not perfect)

the cat is there to make sure anything that still hasn't been burnt when it gets there gets combined with O2 so it becomes less harmful gases (CO2) instead of released into the atmosphere as CO. In fact trees will uptake CO or CO2 just the same so if there's enough green to offset CO2 emission there isn't really much of a problem...

But then in my mind, any CO in the air will eventually combine with O2 and become CO2, it's just a matter of the fact that CO is less stable than CO2 by far.....so a cat doesn't do much when the gas is released into an open environment.

CO2, however, as you say, cannot be avoided in the combustion of fossil fuels, and it's "said to be" the major contribution to global warming (tho scientists already said time and time over it's probably more to do with the sun being "hotter" in these years) so it's the new "hype". Think of the carbon tax and road congestion tax (in UK) are all targeted at CO2

but once you burn fossil fuel there is no avoiding releasing CO2......so the only root solution to this is to not burn fossil fuel altogether. At the current technology level it is going to have to be either electric or hydrogen

but the production of either electricity of hydrogen came from fossil fuel burning anyway, so I don't think that's a real solution at all, just a relocation of the burn process... Unless somehow we can make so much electricity out of wind/solar/water/geothermo power to operate every single car on the road (that are in theory now running on electricity or hydrogen) this is not a real solution. Well you can probably do nuclear generation of electricity but that's not 100% waste-free either.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I took mine off
Old 05-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
Need my Daily Fix of RS

LOL you think that 15-20% of the fuel you burn goes to the cat?

The same advanced engine control systems you think don't need cats, have front and rear oxygen sensors so that they can monitor catalyst efficiency. If the difference pre cat to post cat was indeed negligible, they wouldn't/couldn't do that. But even the latest most efficient versions of Motronic for example are fully capable of sensing when a catalyst is not working correctly. They are able to do this because the catalyst is indeed converting a significant amount of NoX, Co2, and HC and oxygen is used in that process.

The bottom line is an engine's tune is always a compromise that result sin emissions one way or the other, and catalytic converters deal with that. Even with perfectly metered fuel, there are plenty of emissions.

It would appear you have no idea how and engine works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzystar View Post
I am better than everyone, you, your brothers, sisters, fathers, moms, even your fucking dogs. I can drive all drivetrain platforms and all types of industrial machinery, and I got a fucking nuclear sub, yeah thats right, a fucking nuclear sub.

fuck you, and all your shit.

this is revscene in it's entirety. /thread.

Last edited by Captain Bondo; 05-19-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Captain Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
I think Jeremy Clarkson got into him haha. JC is ranting about this stuff recently too.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i dont have cats in my car

you know how sickening that smell is? lol imagine every car on the road didn't have cats.

kids would be falling over and birds would be falling out of the sky and nailing your windows and vinyl covered roofs
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 06:47 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

That is the biggest load of crap I've ever read. The author obviously has absolutely no understanding of the ic engine, the laws of thermodynamics, or even basic physics. Usually controversial articles like this have some grain of truth, but this is just complete garbage, not a single point or reasoning is correct. Where did you find this? Just curious.
ronald55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Luckily the Island doesn't have aircare like the mainland. So many people would be screwed if they brought in vehicle emissions laws.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts

cats what ?
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

straight pipe FTW!! i like volvo-brickster's idea
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #11
My homepage has been set to RS

unburnt gasoline smells good
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

It's dumb fucks like the OP that keep plastering those shitty "911 was an inside job" stickers all over the place.

Get a fucking life.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 AM   #13
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Take a course in Thermo/IC engines. Or read about them.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM   #14
Banned (BBM)

i miss my test pipe
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
LOL you think that 15-20% of the fuel you burn goes to the cat?

No, I think that there, Could, be a 15-20% savings if the PCM is tuned properly without a cat.

Quote:
Im not an expert by any means but I am in deep with the approach Im taking.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
It's dumb fucks like the OP that keep plastering those shitty "911 was an inside job" stickers all over the place.

Get a fucking life.
I dont thinks so. Im just following my instincts and trying to set a new paradigm. The only problem is its gonna be expensive.
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-20-2010, 04:47 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcowboy View Post
I dont thinks so. Im just following my instincts and trying to set a new paradigm. The only problem is its gonna be expensive.
What the fuck are you trying to say?

Now.. grab a brain and try and understand what we're trying to tell you, instead of posting garbage you copied & pasted off some conspiracy theory site....

If there's a way to improve vehicle fuel efficiency... the automakers are already doing it. They've been doing it since the oil embargo crisis of the 1970's. Look it up. You just don't remember because YOU WEREN'T BORN YET. That's why we don't have carbs anymore... there isn't 15% of anything to be gained by tuning a PCM. You're fucking dreaming!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #18

CAFE standards have me thinking nightmare.
You see, that's why I have a flame suit on.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
What the fuck are you trying to say?

Now.. grab a brain and try and understand what we're trying to tell you, instead of posting garbage you copied & pasted off some conspiracy theory site....

If there's a way to improve vehicle fuel efficiency... the automakers are already doing it. They've been doing it since the oil embargo crisis of the 1970's. Look it up. You just don't remember because YOU WEREN'T BORN YET. That's why we don't have carbs anymore... there isn't 15% of anything to be gained by tuning a PCM. You're fucking dreaming!!!
are you sure that they aren't in cahoots with the oil industries...
Old 05-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I swear after the olympics i'm noticing alot more of those "9/11" was an inside job stickers posted around town. I'm going to get some that say NO ONE CARES.
Quote:

Get a fucking life.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #21

OK, just to make it clear... it is impossible to have a 'clean' combustion engine. I've been involved with hydrogen in both fuel cells providing electricity to electric motors and more affordable internal combustion engines.

You can't find a cleaner fuel to burn than hydrogen. When you combust it in an engine you get practically zero CO2, near zero CO, but the nitrogen based emissions go crazy. The engines ran without cats and were so clean, basically blowing out steam. However the nitrogen emissions were worse than the stock setup on gasoline. They had to detune (lower HP and fuel efficiency) to run very lean in order to keep the nitrogen emissions at the stock level. Nitrogen emissions are estimated as 300 times worse a greenhouse gas than CO2 pound for pound. If you want to read more on it: http://www.ecotalityna.com/hydrogen_...conversion.php

To clarify, pure nitrogen is inert, I'm referring to nitrous oxide (N2O).

Anyway, that was a bit of a rant, and it may not have directly addressed the argument. The idea that car manufacturers would willingly add on expensive equipment that doesn't help sell the car is ridiculous. If they could prove they didn't need cats, they would. I could believe that some car companies would take 'the bribe'; but it's hard to believe that all car companies would, when they're in fierce competition.
DasHooch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #22
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
I love my test pipe.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:54 PM   #23
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

yea, who needs cats?
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
are you sure that they aren't in cahoots with the oil industries...
There ya go with more conspiracy theories!
Old 05-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #25
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post

cats what ?
MAN! You should add a whistle make it go WoooWOOOOO!!!!
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: