REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

A 5-point ticket with N license

Hey guys,
After reading through 20 pages on this forum, I found a lot of helpful information about my situation, but I'd like to clear up some stuff.

So, last night at 1:30 AM, I got busted for running a red light and speeding (lowest fine), which add up to 5 points. The first question is, will my license be suspended since I have more than 4 points? This was my first ever ticket btw.

Second question, probably more important, I have my class 5 road test booked on June 22, which is within the 30 days I have to pay the ticket. Can I take the road test, and pay the ticket once I pass?

Also, I'm not clear of how this notice of suspension works, as of now I only have the ticket. I'm assuming that I'll get a mail sooner or later, but the notice comes AFTER I pay the ticket, correct? So, if I decide to dispute the ticket, I'll never get that mail since I'm not proven guilty yet?
Advertisement
mkchoi0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
if i were u, i'd do the test, and pray to god u dont suck and fail.. once u have your class 5 then pay the ticket. icbc still might suspend u, but your suspended with the class 5... so it shouldnt b toooo harsh..
i could be wrong. correct me if i am.
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
nma
#RVG

dude just go dispute it... Lol.. You get a year before you get your court date, then you go to court saying you're broke and you'll get a reduced fine.. and even if you don't you have a year to get your class 5
nma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #4

So, it's confirmed that I can dispute the ticket, and I can take the roadtest until the court date? I guess it's good news out of many things I fucked up last nite...
Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,307 Times in 1,775 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nma View Post
dude just go dispute it... Lol.. You get a year before you get your court date, then you go to court saying you're broke and you'll get a reduced fine.. and even if you don't you have a year to get your class 5
This is both correct and incorrect. Certain tickets have to have a minimum and if the minimum is given out, it cannot be reduced anymore.

Regardless, the points will still be there since it is associated with their respective offenses/tickets. It is this that may or may not have the OP suspended. It seems as though, in this particular case, the OP is more concern with the suspension than the actual fines themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkchoi0801 View Post
So, it's confirmed that I can dispute the ticket, and I can take the roadtest until the court date? I guess it's good news out of many things I fucked up last nite...
Well, you could do that. You could also do your road test and see if you pass. If you don't, then you can dispute. It doesn't really matter which order you do it in because you will be at ICBC where you will take both the road test and file your dispute.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Yes, the money isn't the biggest problem for me right now... I'm not saying I don't mind the $300 ticket plus $230 DPP, but at least money can be recovered.

The worst thing that can happen to me is getting my license suspended and therefore having to do 2 more years of N under probation...

Also, another question. How long do you think I'll get if I wait until 29th day to dispute, get my court date, and delay that date saying I'll be out of town...?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
CRS

Quote:
Yes, the money isn't the biggest problem for me right now... I'm not saying I don't mind the $300 ticket plus $230 DPP, but at least money can be recovered.

The worst thing that can happen to me is getting my license suspended and therefore having to do 2 more years of N under probation...

Also, another question. How long do you think I'll get if I wait until 29th day to dispute, get my court date, and delay that date saying I'll be out of town...?
This is something I stand firmly by. If you are guilty of the crime, then you should just pay the fine and man up. Only people who have nothing better to do and no sense of accountability who dispute under no grounds.

However, if there is the loophole that there is in our current system where you can get your class 5, by all means, go for it.

With all the said, a dispute normally takes about a years time. If you adjourn, you better have a valid reason. Making up something is NOT good enough. It isn't like in highschool when you can make up whatever you want and get away with it.

But once again, DO NOT DO IT JUST TO GET OFF THE HOOK WITHOUT ANY PUNISHMENT.

You will get no sympathy from me, the officer or the JP who will hand your ass to you.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 05-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #8

I don't actually mean to dispute the ticket, I just want to delay it so I can get my class 5 before getting suspended.

By disputing, I'll get a heavier fine as the officer made note, and I know there isn't a simple way out. Sure, the cop tailgated me into speeding, but I admit I made a wrong decision to speed.

Thanks for all your replies btw..
Old 05-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

pray to god you do not fail the road test so you don't have to start the 2 or 3 years again w/e it is now....btw slow down so you don't have to run the red light you freaken piece of shit, hate ppl like you, getting t-boned because you have a green light and other person ignores the stop sign = pretty much the same shit
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #10

Ok, relax.
I mentioned that it was at 1:30 AM, with absolutely no cars in a small neighborhood. I made sure no cars were coming in any direction thinking that I could get away. What you're accusing me, for no apparent reason, is retarded at best.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
I bringith the lowerballerith

It would probably be best/easiest to do the road-test, pass (in theory, you should be ready to pass it by this point in time), and then pay the ticket right then and there after the test.

If you chose to dispute the ticket in order to gain some more time (perhaps you need to delay the road-test for some reason), you are free to pay the ticket at any point up to and including the court date.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #12
nma
#RVG

Simply dispute it to buy your self time. Even if you are guilty (like the other guy said), do you really think what you did is worth the amount you're about to pay? I sure as hell didn't think I deserved to pay over a bill for not having my N up. I saved my self $170 by going to court and spending 30 mins of my time. My ticket went from just over $300 to $136. If you really don't care about the money, you have 30 days to dispute your ticket anyways, so go do your class 5 test, and if you fail, dispute the ticket before the time is up. By the way, you will not get a heavier fine for disputing your ticket. Why would you get a fine for going there and saying that you are a student and you can't afford such fines?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:16 PM   #13

My only excuse is, the cop tailgated me into speeding. And that doesn't sound too good even in my own ears. Besides, the officer said he'd increase the ticket to excessive speeding as he was being 'generous' at the time of the incident.

I'm confident that I can pass the class 5 test in 3 tries, giving myself 2 screw up margins, which will take approximately 3 months I think...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #14
Retired Traffic Cop

Quote:
My only excuse is, the cop tailgated me into speeding.
It won't fly. You were the one with the foot on the accelerator. Pulling over and stopping to let the tailgater by is the better choice.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Sorry man, don't mean to be an ass, but if you think you need 3 times to secure a class 5 license you shouldn't be speeding and running red lights even if you are confident you scanned the red light intersection. Just be glad it was night time.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #16
nma
#RVG

Buddy you don't need an excuse. If you can't afford it you can't afford it.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:04 PM   #17

I understand that, which is why I won't be actually disputing the ticket. :s
And from what I gather, road tests are hit and misses, I drive to UBC during peak rush hour from white rock. Not necessarily a bad driver, but you just never know if it's gonna be one of those days you miss a school/park zone and auto fail
Old 05-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
you just never know if it's gonna be one of those days you miss a school/park zone and auto fail
I've got some good news for you... they put up a bunch of SIGNS in those areas. Pay attention on your road test, and you might actually do well.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
I was always under the impression that you could not:
a)renew a licence with an outstanding fee.
b)go for a road test with an outstanding fee.

Otherwise people would just put off paying forever.

I was always told this, I think you have to either pay it or dispute it before the test???
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #20

I think the point is that a ticket is not 'legit' until I pay for it and therefore admitting guilt.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #21

Now I'm getting confused...

as per ICBC:
If your ticket includes a fine that is not disputed, you must pay it before you may renew your driver’s licence or car insurance.

so is this simply solved by disputing the ticket?

what if i just wait out 26 out of 30 days, technically i haven't disputed the ticket yet, therefore i'd have outstanding fees?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:07 AM   #22
CRS

Quote:
Now I'm getting confused...

as per ICBC:
If your ticket includes a fine that is not disputed, you must pay it before you may renew your driver’s licence or car insurance.

so is this simply solved by disputing the ticket?

what if i just wait out 26 out of 30 days, technically i haven't disputed the ticket yet, therefore i'd have outstanding fees?
It is only after the 30 days that ICBC presumes that you plead guilty.

Think of that 30 days as if you were in limbo. You're not in heaven but you're not in hell. But after 30 days have passed if you do nothing, then you will be presumed guilty. Whereas if you dispute within that 30 days, you will just extend this limbo until the court date.

It is true that you cannot renew with outstanding tickets but at this point, you do not have any...Yet.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #23

If you pass the road test before the 30 days are up, then just pay it right after you get your Class 5. If you're lucky, you won't get suspended, but if you do get suspended, then at least when you re-instate, then you'll have a class 5 and not have to do the N thing all over again. If you fail the test, then dispute the ticket before the 30 days and hope you pass the test within the 1 year (average time to get a court date) and then you can pay for the ticket after you pass.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:27 PM   #24
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I thought ICBC can revoke your class 5 if they find out you got a 5-point ticket during your N.

What car do you drive OP? If it is a cheap car, you can try the poor student excuse, but if you were driving your moms BMW/Benz, good luck!
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:14 PM   #25

hmm...not sure about that then. I just know that people used this loophole to get a class 5 even though they are over the points limit. Not sure if it's a different situation if you get the 5 points all at once.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote