REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-27-2010, 05:59 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Why You Should Get An Alignment Done NOW...

Have you been hesitant to get an alignment performed on your car? Perhaps you think it won't be worth the money, especially if your car runs straight and rides well? Perhaps this will provide a bit of motivation for you to finally go and have an alignment done...

I installed an H&R Sport Cup Kit about 18 months ago, and intended on having new control arms and bushings installed shortly thereafter... and thus I figured I'd wait until all the new suspension parts were installed before I had an alignment done. Well, it took a bit longer than expected, but I finally had the control arms and bushings installed today... and this is what the inside lip my front tires looks like.

The indy shop actually had me sign a waiver before allowing me to drive my car home because they didn't want to be liable in the event the tires blew up or came off the rim. I drove the car home from the shop, but needless to say I am not going to be driving my car again until these tires are replaced and I've had an alignment performed. (Hopefully tomorrow, assuming a local tire shop has a decent set of properly-sized tires in stock).

Moral of the story: don't be a retard like Amaru... get an alignment done as soon as you have any suspension work completed.

Advertisement
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
Toe much?
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
HELP ME PLS!!!

too much toe out
alex.w *// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
How I Mod your mother

Damn how much mileage was on the tires before you found this?
Good thing they spotted this
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
how old are the tires?
Old 05-27-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
at least you didn't try to blame it on anyone else!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #7
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
No alignment for 18 months after suspension install??

No kidding.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:12 PM   #8
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
So you knowingly put on aftermarket suspension, and waited 18 months to get an alignment. Yet you failed to check the inside tread at any point during this period of 18 months?

Laziness at it's worst.

I thought that I was lazy with maintenance on my cars, but even I know what type of damage that a shitty alignment/ tires will cause.

Moral of the story:
ALWAYS Check your tires. The inside, too.
I constantly checked the tread of my tires and checked for any rubbing even after I got my alignment done by PDM on my SC4.

Tire Pressure + tread. Great ways to not have a tire blow out on you and spin out into a tree or little kids.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 PM   #9
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
The title of this thread is so misleading. It should be 'Always get an alignment immediately after changing your suspension'
Old 05-27-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

That's not wear from excessive toe-out - it's the result of too much camber and most of the weight being carried by the inside edge of the tire.

Toe wear has feathering, which is not evident in your pics.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Hines View Post
Damn how much mileage was on the tires before you found this?
Good thing they spotted this
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenmecar View Post
how old are the tires?
The previous owner installed these tires; they came with the car. I don't know exactly how many km's are on them - at least 40,000km since I've owned it. I had an alignment done when I first got the car, but installed the new suspension a few months after that. In total, it's been 18 months and about 30,000km since the new suspension was installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
So you knowingly put on aftermarket suspension, and waited 18 months to get an alignment. Yet you failed to check the inside tread at any point during this period of 18 months?

Laziness at it's worst.

I thought that I was lazy with maintenance on my cars, but even I know what type of damage that a shitty alignment/ tires will cause.
Not laziness man... ignorance. I don't need a lecture, I'm readily admitting that I'm a retard for not getting an alignment sooner. Just posting to help others avoid this mistake.

For the most part, I'm really anal about maintenance, and laziness is not a trait of mine. I do all the specified preventative maintenance for my car ahead of schedule and do visual inspections before going on any longer trips.

I always check the tire pressure, too, and it has been at 36psi for months. On top of that, the car runs dead straight, feels good, and has no noticeable issues. To see this type of tire wear, you need to have the wheels fully cranked to one side or the other. Even the mechanics at my past two services/oil changes neglected to mention the crazy tire wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Tire Pressure + tread. Great ways to not have a tire blow out on you and spin out into a tree or little kids.
Yeah, and as you said, check the inside of the tire too. Just putting a quarter in the outside thread isn't sufficient to get a full picture of the tire's remaining tread life.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

what car? how low were you?

do you need a camber kit or can you get away with just an alignment
Old 05-27-2010, 10:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinamix View Post
what car? how low were you?

do you need a camber kit or can you get away with just an alignment
2002 BMW 330ci, riding on an H&R Sport Cup Kit (shocks/springs). Minimal ride height lowering, at least compared to most aftermarket suspension setups: the kit drops it 0.75" in the front and 0.25" in the rear.

Pretty sure an alignment will address most of the issues, although I'll know more tomorrow when I talk to the dudes at the tire shop. Based on my previous experiences at various tire shops, I'm probably in for some abuse and lectures from the guys when they see these tires. Yippee. At least it'll be somewhat deserved abuse at this point.

Not that low...

Last edited by Amaru; 05-27-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
Banned By Establishment

it's called being lazy. People who don't check their oil, tire press...everything you should do BEFORE you start thinking about modding
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

now, time to sell those style 68 and get some 19's !
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post
it's called being lazy. People who don't check their oil, tire press...everything you should do BEFORE you start thinking about modding
Jesus, I didn't know I was going to take so much flak for a post where I readily admit to my own idiocy.

Try reading the thread before you call me lazy. As I mentioned in an earlier post... it's not laziness, it's ignorance. Is a person who doesn't floss their teeth "lazy" if they've never heard of dental floss before? No, they're just ignorant. Similarly, I had no idea my alignment was so fucked, and I had no idea my tires were so damaged. Had I known it was so crucial to get an alignment done, I would have done so far earlier and saved myself a lot of trouble.

Furthermore, as much as this tire issue is my own fault, it's not like I was grossly negligent. I conduct regular preventative maintenance on my car and do visual inspections, check tire pressure, oil level, coolant level, tread wear, etc. I just neglected to turn the wheel far enough to see the inner tire damage, as doing so requires the wheel to be turned 100% to the left. In my defense, I've had two oil changes in the past year and the mechanics didn't mention anything about this issue either, and they were actually under the car.

Anyway, I'm simply posting my experience so that others may learn from it. My mistake, I know to check the inner tire wear from now on. (And I know the importance of an alignment after having suspension work completed). 'Nuff said.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:48 PM   #17
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Misleading title, at least you learned your lesson now.
Synapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 PM   #18
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaru View Post

Thanks, I didn't need you to circle it for me!
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:43 AM   #19
Banned (BBM)

^
in case some ppl cant read

dude wat the fuck is wrong with u

u drive a fucking bmw, and yet u are too cheap or too ignorant (either one u pick) to pay fucking $100 to do a simple alignment. Yet u rather risk everyone on the road including urself not having full traction at all times. Driving like that for 18 months, all i can say is u dont deserve the H&R cup kit nor the 330ci

man...ppl these days....i dont get u guys

BTW if u know the importance of an alignment, u wouldnt fucking wait after 30,000km. like seriously dude
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
That doesn't look like an alignment issue to me - it looks like rubbing on a spring perch after lowering and the wheels not offset enough.

From the pics it doesn't look like you have much camber, my rear tires might have more camber than that and still don't wear like this.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
u drive a fucking bmw, and yet u are too cheap or too ignorant (either one u pick) to pay fucking $100 to do a simple alignment. Yet u rather risk everyone on the road including urself not having full traction at all times. Driving like that for 18 months, all i can say is u dont deserve the H&R cup kit nor the 330ci
We live in a city where many stretch themselves in overpriced condos and luxury cars while living paycheque to paycheque - this type of stuff does not surprise me.

That said, a $100 alignment is useless to fix camber unless the BMW has a camber adjustment mechanism. My MB requires camber correction bolts for the front, which only the dealer stocks, and a custom camber kit for the rear which would have to be ordered ahead of time.

Thus my $100 alignment cost $300 in parts, and 1 hr additional labour for a total of $500.

Besides, the last gen 330is are a dime a dozen now, 2003s can be picked up for < $15K with 100K kms, so stop the snobby "you don't deserve a BMW" crap, almost anyone can afford a used one.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
That doesn't look like an alignment issue to me - it looks like rubbing on a spring perch after lowering and the wheels not offset enough.
BMW uses struts in the front. A change in ride height from springs has no effect on the tire getting closer or further from the spring perch.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #23
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor192 View Post
We live in a city where many stretch themselves in overpriced condos and luxury cars while living paycheque to paycheque - this type of stuff does not surprise me.

That said, a $100 alignment is useless to fix camber unless the BMW has a camber adjustment mechanism. My MB requires camber correction bolts for the front, which only the dealer stocks, and a custom camber kit for the rear which would have to be ordered ahead of time.

Thus my $100 alignment cost $300 in parts, and 1 hr additional labour for a total of $500.

Besides, the last gen 330is are a dime a dozen now, 2003s can be picked up for < $15K with 100K kms, so stop the snobby "you don't deserve a BMW" crap, almost anyone can afford a used one.
able to afford yes, able to maintain is another.
premium badge comes with a premium fee, after all gotta pay to play
ppl who pick up used euros should really rethink before jumping the boat from a tercel to a bimmer

camber dont kill tires, toe setting does
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #24
I am Hook'd on RS

lol
TEF3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
2003s are <15k now? Wow, talk about serious depreciation.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote