REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 05-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Si
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

B18A1 into EF

Anyone have any sort of info/experience on this?

the B18's from a 92 Integra... I'm going to be putting it into my 88 CRX Si.

So far what I've learned is that I'll need the matching PR4 ECU and the right engine mounts. OBD0 is what I have, and what will work with this engine from what I've read.

EDIT: Seems like I'll need to pick up the YS1 transmission because my stock one won't match with the B18.

thanks yo
Advertisement

Last edited by Si; 05-28-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
is your crx si? or dx? (maybe a silly question, judging by your screen name)
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
Si
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Si, as I said in my post.
Si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
oh, right. sorry. didn't see that.
you'll need a pr4 ecu from a 90-91 integra and distributor from that car as well. you'll be keeping your original 1 wire o2 sensor from your rex to replace the 4 wire from the 92 teg exhaust manifold. also, a modified shift linkage from a 90-93 integra, or you can buy them already sized. also, b-series axles and intermediate shaft.
that, and the stuff you mentioned already
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

ive heard for B into EF you have to bash the driver side of the bay for the ALT. to clear? never confirmed just heard it
Hondahatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondahatch View Post
ive heard for B into EF you have to bash the driver side of the bay for the ALT. to clear? never confirmed just heard it

That is correct. This is what mine looked like..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0013.jpg (76.1 KB, 0 views)
b_heebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

YS1 is one of the best cable trannys. Has similar gearing to a type R, although can be hard to find, they were only produced in 93-93 Integras with the B17A (GSR?) If your planning on going turbo down the road the stock LS tranny is great as it has a numerically lower gear ratio (taller gears) and much easier to come across.
b_heebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,257 Times in 1,621 Posts
shiiiet this makes me want to toss my b16a2 into my EF for better DD fun
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I did this about a year ago now, b18a1 into my EF hatch. I love it! It's great even with the stock LS tranny, but that might just match my driving style.

Since the motor is from a '92, you'll be back-dating the engine wiring to OBD-0, like you said. OBD-1 started in 1992. Your Si harness will work, though I believe the plugs on the motor might be wrong. I'm pretty sure they are different, but I don't have experience there, maybe someone else can chime in. Just be careful with your harness when working with it, it's old and if you mess up some of the wiring you might end up having to troubleshoot wiring when you go to start it up.

And like Welfare said, you'll need the PR4 ECU and distributor from the OBD-0 B18A1 and the 1-wire 02 sensor from your current D16. And the b-series axles and intermediate shaft.

Hopefully you got this with the motor, but you'll also need the rear 't-bracket' for the rear engine mount.

When I did this, I did some reading and saw that you may be able to avoid hammering your frame rail by using a d-series alternator... I think this might be possible by getting an alternator belt of the right length and with the correct number of ribs on it for the d-series alt. I didn't have the right belt at that point myself and was looking forward to smacking the frame rail anyways, so i used the b-series alternator. If you use the b alternator, you have to dent the rail. No big deal.

I used innovative mounts - the fitment and positioning with them is excellent. I also went with the pre-made shift linkage, because as a package with the mounts, I got a good price and didn't want to second-guess my own or someone else's idea of modified linkage. You don't need the front mount if you are getting urethane mounts (not till you add more torque to the motor anyways), and i found i had to cut off the mount bracket on the front crossmember anyways (to get enough clearance for the manifold).

Hoses: I think I bought new ones, stock replacements for the b18a1. For the rad hose, i think I used a short cut piece of the stock EF hose on the radiator end as a shim to slip into the hose from the b18a1 to the motor. That works great, I just had to tighten the sucker right down very tight.

And maintenance stuff: of course it's a good idea to do the timing belt and water pump on the b18 while it's still sitting out in the open. One thing i didn't do was the rear main seal, but it wasn't leaking at the time.. I'm hoping it hangs on for awhile yet.

I was baffled by the vacuum hoses since I'm pretty much a noob, but got it right with a bit of research.

I found these articles really useful. I found that there is a lot more info on b16 and b18 VTEC swaps than there is the good ol' a1 or LS swap, but much of it can be used in this swap as well.

http://www.drivendaily.org/garage/b18a1-swap/

http://www.drivendaily.org/garage/cr...acuum-diagram/
(he posted this again AFTER I spent forever trying to figure it out)

http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=28152

http://www.crxresource.org/modules.p...rticle&sid=134

Good luck and enjoy!
fndbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
RS Lurker, I don't post!

haha and spoon you should swap the motors in your rides BOTH ways just to be different
fndbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
4 month old thread??
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote