REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 05-29-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Beer Keg Rental

Hey guys,

im planning a year end party for my hockey team, and i'm going in the keg direction as opposed to bottles and cans.

where is a good place to rent a keg in vancouver, and is the CO2 dispense unit worth the extra cost?
Advertisement

-----
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
she's a whore. you're a loser.
in the garage:
'05 Dodge Ram 2500
'06 BMW 530i
'08 Chevy Equinox LT
the_rickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Thread moved to Food Forum.

Edit: While this thread does not answer your question specifically, it will contain some leads to what you're looking for. Hope that helps.

Edit 2:

Taken from the R & B Breweries website:

Quote:
What’s the difference between a hand pump and a draft dispense unit?

With the hand pump, you manually pump air into the keg, creating pressure which enables the delicious beer to pour smoothly out of the spout. It’s major advantages over the CO2 dispense unit are its portability and ease of connection (just twist, pump, drink!) With the hand pump unit, however, you will need to keep the keg cold in order to ensure that the beer will stay cold, and the longevity of the keg is compromised once it is tapped (you’re fine for about twelve hours, but once the beer has become exposed to oxygen its shelf life is dramatically decreased. But hey, are you really gonna beer left over in twelve hours?)

With the CO2 draft dispense unit, CO2 is forced into the keg, creating the pressure needed to pour the beer. The draft dispense unit is comprised of two parts: the CO2 cylinder, used to ‘push’ the beer, and the dispense unit, usually a standard camping cooler with an aluminum cooling plate on the inside and pub-style pouring spouts on the outside. The advantages to the draft dispense unit are numerous. Rather than keeping the entire keg cold, only the cooling plate on the inside of the cooler needs to be kept cold. As the beer contacts the cooling plate, it will be cooled down to the perfect temperature! Also, because CO2 is sterile, it will not affect the longevity of the beer, so your keg will last much longer using this system (maybe for a week up at the cabin? Hmm? We’re open to invites…). Another advantage is the simple fact that you don’t have to pump anything to drink the beer – just pull the tap and you’re gold!
As for the price difference and whether it is worth it or not, I cannot specifically answer that for you as I've only ever rented the hand pump. Try giving Rick or Barry a call @ R & B Breweries to get a better idea. They're super nice guys.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

If you're going to consume the entire keg in one day/evening, go with a hand-pump system. Cheaper and more simple to use.

If you want to continue using the keg over several days (ie a weekend at a cabin), go for the CO2 dispense option.

More info

Cheapest way to go about it

Regardless of which method you choose, keep in mind one thing: the temperature of the beer is the most crucial element and the most common cause of problems (ie. foaming). Keep the keg at the optimum temperature and you'll be pouring great beer all night.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:54 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Russell brewery in Surrey does it. I went with their cream ale. Good stuff.

http://www.bcbeer.ca/breweryselect.aspx?Number=21
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

granville island brewery
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rickster View Post
where is a good place to rent a keg in vancouver
You need to ask yourself what kind of beer you want. Usually you go straight to the supplier (e.g. Molson, Steamworks, Russell, etc.) to order a keg and not some third party. Call in advance of your date. If our party is just one night and plan to use up most if not all of the beer, buy a party pump instead of going CO2

Last edited by woob; 05-31-2010 at 06:59 PM.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
a long time ago me and some buddies got 2 kegs from R&B, sungod pale ale

i thought it was great but alot of picky ppl didnt like it
Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
You can always get something like Molson Canadian. Costs a bit more but then you won't have to worry about taste. I have a co2 setup with a keg of Molson that's in a temp controlled chest freezer and it works great.